Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HDMI to DVI-I

Options
  • 21-06-2008 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Just got a XBOX 360 elite with all the cables (HDMI Audio Cable, HDMI AV Cable and Component HD AV cable)
    Only problem is that my HD Ready TV only has a DVI-I connnection as can be seen in photo at the right of scart connection.
    If I get a HDMI to DVI cable
    http://search.ebay.ie/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=HDMI+to+DVI+cable ,
    will that work? But is that only for the picture?How do I then sort out the sound?

Regan

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Is the tv a high def one? I find it odd it doesnt have component at least, and your rite DVI only transfers video signals

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Gunther_Gloop

The HDMI-DVI converter should work fine.
    If everything was as it should be, you would then use the optical audio connection or the standard analogue connection for sound, but there is an issue with the way the 360 is set up... the back of the console does not contain each of the sockets and the add-on connectors don't allow for certain combinations.

So, for instance, if you use the HDMI port, as you probably noticed, there's no easy way to get sound. !

You could probably get a HDMI splitter cable that splits the signal to DVI and an audio-out, but the cheaper/ better way to do it (and I know all this was a roundabout way of agreeing with yoyo) is to connect via component, then buy an audio optical cable for sound, if you're connecting it to an amp.
    Don't pay too much for such a cable. I bought mine via ebay, here.
    ...Well that's another one by the same seller.

-And no it's not me!

If you want hi-def video + analogue sound from the 360, I'm not sure what you can do... back to HDMI-splitter cable probably.

Hope that helps. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Reganovski

Thanks for ur reply guys. Yes its a high def tv but just with the dvi-i connection.
    If I have the hdmi to dvi-I where does that optical cable connect to and from?

Regan

Reganovski wrote: »
    Thanks for ur reply guys. Yes its a high def tv but just with the dvi-i connection.
    If I have the hdmi to dvi-I where does that optical cable connect to and from?

Regan

Er, I answered that above... there's nowhere for it to go because of the silly layout of the 360 connectors. There might be a third party connector someplace that allows hdmi/DVI +audio, but it's not there in the Elite pack (if it exists at all).

...Are you absolutely _certain_ your tv doesn't have component? That's the RED/ GREEN/ BLUE sockets. I don't think I've seen any hd-ready telly without those as well.

...Otherwise, besides all that, you'll have to search for a HDMI-to-DVI+audio splitter cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

What make is the TV??

But anyway. You could always just get the xbox 360 VGA cable and use a VGA - DVI adapter instead. That way at least your getting audio out via opticl/component depending on the cable you buy.

• Advertisement

Stokolan wrote: »
    What make is the TV??

But anyway. You could always just get the xbox 360 VGA cable and use a VGA - DVI adapter instead. That way at least your getting audio out via opticl/component depending on the cable you buy.

I could be wrong, but I don't think there's such a thing as VGA - DVI adapter. I've seen DVI - VGA adapters, but never the other way around. ie. take in a VGA signal and put it out as DVI. That would be converting and analogue signal to digital and I don't think that's easily/cheaply done.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,832 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

I could be wrong, but I don't think there's such a thing as VGA - DVI adapter.
    There is, I used one with the 360 before.

ShaneU wrote: »
    There is, I used one with the 360 before.

Is this it?

http://search.ebay.ie/vga-dvi-adapter_W0QQ_trksidZm37QQfcclZ1QQfclZ3QQfromZR40?keyword=vga+dvi+adapter&crlp=935915761_24306

Sounds great if it is just these two connections.

Regan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

Yeah that would be them. But you need to be sure you have the right type od DVI. As far as i Know there are different variations which have slightly different pin shapes.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭bretttp1

Hi,

Just got a XBOX 360 elite with all the cables (HDMI Audio Cable, HDMI AV Cable and Component HD AV cable)
    Only problem is that my HD Ready TV only has a DVI-I connnection as can be seen in photo at the right of scart connection.
    If I get a HDMI to DVI cable
    http://search.ebay.ie/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=HDMI+to+DVI+cable ,
    will that work? But is that only for the picture?How do I then sort out the sound?

Regan

This is the same as setting up with a monitor, I have a 19" and bought the elite for the reason that it has all the cables required for conecting up audio and video to separate vision and sound outputs.

The video is taken care of by the hdmi to DVI converter and the audio is taken care of by an optical out from a cable that comes with the elite, on the premium you could not do this as the way the cables were designed you couldn't connect the hdmi and component cables at the same time but with the elite you can. :D

I'll take a photo of the connections I use this evening to explain it a bit better.

• Advertisement

bretttp1 wrote: »
    I'll take a photo of the connections I use this evening to explain it a bit better.

Do please because I am still confused. Are you saying I have all the cables to connect to my DVI-I connection on my tv?
    Its a 23PF4321 Philips HD Tv by the way (with the connections above as per new photo attached)

Im after buying a VGA + 2RCA HD-AV cable plus a DVI-I male to VGA Female adaptor (for about €18 in total). I think that should work, hopefully!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

do any shops sell these?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭ROC1977

GO TO HARVEY NORMAN!!! THEY HAVE XBOX 360 VGA CABLES FOR 3 EUROS I GOT 2 LAST WEEK. WILL NOT GET CHEAPER!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

sorry missed that, any harvey normans in town ? and is it one with audio output aswell?
    cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭ROC1977

it has vga, left and right (red and white) phono leads, and optical digital out. I picked up 2 of them coz they were so cheap in Limerick. I've one 360 connected to my Pc monitor in my gaming room with optical, I've then got another connected to my LCD in my living room with Vga and my third 360 connected with HDMI.

Was in Harvey norman over the weekend and still had a large basket full of them. Third party mind you, but work just the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭kerryman10

Do please because I am still confused. Are you saying I have all the cables to connect to my DVI-I connection on my tv?
    Its a 23PF4321 Philips HD Tv by the way (with the connections above as per new photo attached)

Im after buying a VGA + 2RCA HD-AV cable plus a DVI-I male to VGA Female adaptor (for about €18 in total). I think that should work, hopefully!! :D

Hi Reganovski.

Did you get everything working ok?

Regards,

Alan

Advertisement