Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daftest reason for voting one way or the other?

Options
  • 14-06-2008 10:59pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭

The BBC's Mark Mardell reported that he met an old woman who voted against because she'd been told that the EU was going to stop people having more than two children.

Any one other reasons for voting one way or the other which may not have been foreseen by the Treaty's framers?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Oops, forgot -- this one was on Herbert Road in D4 this afternoon. The sign under the Lisbon poster is for a missing cat, btw:

theKittieGetsIt.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

robindch wrote: »
    Oops, forgot -- this one was on Herbert Road in D4 this afternoon. The sign under the Lisbon poster is for a missing cat, btw:

theKittieGetsIt.jpg
    Lol that's hilarious.

Monkeyfudge told of how he met an old woman who was voting yes as she thought it was to allow Lisbon to enter the EU, and she'd been there on holiday and liked it. I thought that was a great one :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

Vote yes in order to prevent having to go out and vote no a second time

• Registered Users Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭Archeron

Goodness gracious, this is decending into a farce.

Are we being expelled by Europe???? What the ****???

For all the deep political discussions, there is a basic question being asked by Irsh peopl. What the **** is going on????

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Rb wrote: »
    Lol that's hilarious.

Monkeyfudge told of how he met an old woman who was voting yes as she thought it was to allow Lisbon to enter the EU, and she'd been there on holiday and liked it.

Loyazzzzzz! Not even old people are that stupid! That poster is class tho.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

Silly No Reasons:
    (swear, I made an effort to tackle these.....)

*Dustin didn't get into Eurovision
    *Dick Roche is annoying
    *They'll send my son to Africa to die for France!
    *Baby killing secular bastards.....
    *The New World Order :rolleyes:
    *immigrants (like in general. EU or non EU)

Silly Yes Reasons:

*Europe is deadly.
    *"Hailstones the size of footballs", society will crumble etc.
    *Ah sure, Sinn Fein are against it....
    *I don't understand the Treaty, and I don't LIKE the sound of the bits I do, but they'll only make us go and do it again sure....
    *"Whos this Brit (Deco Ganley) telling us what to do?"
    *A mate of mine: "The last time we voted No, the economy went to ****e"- what rubbish.
    *THEY'RE ALL COMMUNISTS.

I'm proud of Ireland for voting No.

Now, I think the government and the EU should respect our decision, rather than trying to undermine it.

FULL CREDIT to Eamon Gilmore, who accepted the decision yesterday and conceded defeat very gracefully on RTE, saying the will of the people should be upheld and respected. I have time politicians like that, and I hope it is not forgotten. This 'democracy when it suits us' rubbish from Sarko and the like is sickening. E.U.S.S.R ? If Europe will work in the future, it needs to uphold democracy, not work around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

i saw a sticker on the bus on friday that said our children would all be chipped if we voted yes, so vote no.

Which made me laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,966 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    i saw a sticker on the bus on friday that said our children would all be chipped if we voted yes, so vote no.

Which made me laugh.

Here's another stupid reason.
    No voters say that France and Holland have already said No to this treaty but then also say this treaty couldn't be understood. Anybody see the contradiction?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Which made me laugh.

Out of curiosity what sort of car is run_to_da_hills driving these days? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,966 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Which made me laugh.

Was the car playing the Corrs on the stereo by any chance?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭PH01

robindch wrote: »
    The BBC's Mark Mardell reported that he met an old woman who voted against because she'd been told that the EU was going to stop people having more than two children.

Why is it always some old woman who says things like that?:rolleyes: Funny and sad at the same time.

I think the daftest reason is that 'reverse psychology' reason.
    I'm voting 'YES' because they told me to vote 'NO' (and vice versa). Don't jump off that cliff and you do despite them.

And I know someone who voted against the Divorce Referendum simply because there was cross party support for it - "...oh they're trying something sneaky...". This same person is now seeking a divorce herself. Ironic or what?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Was the car playing the Corrs on the stereo by any chance?

the sticker was on the back of a seat on the 27 bus

Advertisement