Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does the credibility of the god concept matter?

Options
  • 08-06-2008 7:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭

This grew out of a discussion on the Christianity forum that we’re taking here, to see if anyone has a reaction.

I have said this kind of thing before and what made me mindful of it again was, in part, some of the recent exchanges in threads here and in Christianity between Jimitime and Wicknight. They were good dialogues, I think each participant gave a good account of their respective ‘home team’ positions. But I again felt they were each coming from quite a different place which meant discussion would never meet in the middle. Anyway, to start this out, here’s what I said on the Christianity forum.
    Schuhart wrote: »
    Like anyone who had one idea in his life, I’m going to flog mine to death again.

I think this thread is illustrating again that there’s a gap in how the dialogue is approached by atheists and theists, because atheists seem to implicitly assume that the foundation of religion is the credibility of the god concept. Hence, we assume that once we illustrate that the Biblical God is an unlikely entity, and/or that the Bible itself is unlikely to be inerrant, that surely the theist must recognise the error of his ways and join us in the light, thus saving his soul or something.

However I think its reasonably clear that belief in God and belief in the Bible is a consequence of the decision to practice a faith, rather than the basis of that faith. Hence, while its not a completely pointless activity, assembling rational arguments based on such facts as seem to be available is of more limited interest than many atheists seem to generally think. (Yes, I am making a massive assumption about how many atheists generally think. Certainly, some atheists think like this.)

PDN has, here and before, given what I think is a very coherent explanation of that position. I’m sure he’ll correct me if how I read what he says differs from what he actually means. But as I see it, him and others essentially say ‘Our proof of the validity of our religion is that, in our daily lives, we function better because of it. The more we trust to it, the more we find we can depend on it. Because we hold that people function better when practicing a faith, atheism would require us to believe that truth requires people to be more miserable than they have to be. While that may be the case, we choose to hold what seems to us a more optimistic vision of reality, which is people are not meant to be more miserable than they have to be’.

The key question, if there to be any meaningful closure in the gap between the two positions, is to focus on that. I rather agree with Ken Miller (in particular about two minutes in to this youtube video) that, for the sake of argument, the motivation for Creationism is fear that a society without religion will be a cruel and violent place. That’s the space, I feel, that the dialogue needs to go. The question is not, much as it looks to the faithless, whether the evidence for the Bible being divinely inspired is circular. It’s whether atheism can actually provide the human benefits people get from religion. If the answer to that is not a clear yes, then obviously people will accept the authenticity of whatever gives them those human benefits. I would further suggest (on no particular basis - this is simply an assertion) that, for many folk, the answer to that is not a clear yes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,351 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

This grew out of a discussion on the Christianity forum that we’re taking here, to see if anyone has a reaction.

I have said this kind of thing before and what made me mindful of it again was, in part, some of the recent exchanges in threads here and in Christianity between Jimitime and Wicknight. They were good dialogues, I think each participant gave a good account of their respective ‘home team’ positions. But I again felt they were each coming from quite a different place which meant discussion would never meet in the middle. Anyway, to start this out, here’s what I said on the Christianity forum.

I think the issue of truth is at the center of this divide. My own position is that something can not be true simply because you want it to be. Truth re the existence or non existence of entities or deities exists independently of one's own beliefs. However, many (most?) christians deem the simple act of belief to be itself a virtue. Many people believe because they want to believe, not because of any rational or critical process.

The problem with belief in a religion though is that it usually comes with all kinds of strings attached. Belief in one set of doctrines compels one to act in accordance with those doctrines (or at least strive towards that goal)

Those accompanying doctrines aren't always positive messages for how we ought to live our lives. The subjugation of women, for instance was a major feature of christianity and is currently a massive issue in fundamentalist Islam.

The problem is that it is very difficult to try and argue against the negative doctrines of religion unless you challenge the very veracity of that religion itself (the religious will simply say 'that is what god commands me to do'. How can one possibly argue against god?

How can someone argue with a fundamentalist zionist that he shouldn't be occupying Palestine if he believes that god gave that region directly to his 'chosen people'?

I think the problem with popular discourse is that there is nowhere near enough challenging of the basic premise of religion itself. The subject is 'sacred' and people are usually reluctant to engage with this central issue of whether or not god actually exists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭Schuhart

Akrasia wrote: »
    I think the issue of truth is at the center of this divide.
    I think its at the center of our perception of the divide. I share that worry that if we say truth is not something we base on reality, to the extent we can understand it, we open the door to many bad things.
    How can someone argue with a fundamentalist zionist that he shouldn't be occupying Palestine if he believes that god gave that region directly to his 'chosen people'?
    But, equally, would it not be unrealistic to expect a fundamentalist zionist to give up all of that god business if he feels a real and obvious practical security risk? This is the kind of thing on my mind. I think believe in God is caused by the situations people find themselves in, more than God being a cause.
    I think the problem with popular discourse is that there is nowhere near enough challenging of the basic premise of religion itself. The subject is 'sacred' and people are usually reluctant to engage with this central issue of whether or not god actually exists.
    I actually don't agree. Just taking these very forums as a snapshot, I'd say there's quite a reasonable appetite for discussing that very topic. Where I see a problem is the almost complete silence on the atheist side of the discussion to what basis can be found for morality, and for human spiritual needs, once we dispense with religion.

I'd pose it as a question. Do you feel people believe in God because the concept is credible and likely?

Alternatively, why do you think people believe in God?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Speaking from personal opinion, I believe God exists based on sound evidence from scriptural passages which accurately predict the greater empires right up to the current Ango-American world power.

I believe also because long before Galileo, scripture said that the earth was spherical (despite most at the time believing otherwise) and "hanging upon nothing".

I believe because the book of Daniel accurately fortells the major decisive battles of World War II (check it out yourselves). There are more reasons.

I believe in God because of evidence. I believe in God because it fits. Faith is irrational, uneccessary and an excuse for ignorance and laziness.

I applaud atheists for one thing, at least they're approaching the subject intellectually rather than bowing to all the emotional diarrhoea and mysteries of mainstream churches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Anyway, to start this out, here’s what I said on the Christianity forum.
    I think it is a problem if an atheist genuinely wishes to convince a theists of his argument.

For example, if I have the thread you are thinking of, Jimi basically said to me give me an alternative to explain the creation of the universe, otherwise I'm sticking with mine as it makes perfect sense.

I obviously couldn't offer an alternative. I've no idea what caused the big bang, if anything.

This highlights a quite fundamental difference in the way this issue is approached by the different sides.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Where I see a problem is the almost complete silence on the atheist side of the discussion to what basis can be found for morality, and for human spiritual needs, once we dispense with religion.
    None of that should have a bearing on the validity of a belief, however. And that validity is at the core of any discourse between theist/atheist.
    I'd pose it as a question. Do you feel people believe in God because the concept is credible and likely?
    I feel if asked, people will say they believe in God because the concept is credible. If pushed, people frequently respond with the type of question you refer to above - what exists in the absence of religion? It's a side-step around an uncomfortable situation. I can't back up my belief - but damned if it ain't a more attractive proposition than yours!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

Speaking from personal opinion, I believe God exists based on sound evidence from scriptural passages which accurately predict the greater empires right up to the current Ango-American world power.

I believe also because long before Galileo, scripture said that the earth was spherical (despite most at the time believing otherwise) and "hanging upon nothing".

I believe because the book of Daniel accurately fortells the major decisive battles of World War II (check it out yourselves). There are more reasons.

At least you have the right approach in believing, however I don't think it is justified. I'm not aware of the prophecies in Daniel (I had a quick look in google but didn't really find anthing) but I assume they are the similar to the prophecies of others like Nostradamus, extremely vague but when read with hindsight can be made to appear accurate.

As for the Bible knowing the Earth was a sphere (it isn't exactly a sphere by the way), I think the passages in question indicate a belief in a circular Earth eg Isaiah 40:21-22 "the circle of the earth". This was derived simply from observing the horizon which is circular. However a circle is not a sphere. Pythagoras first proposed a spherical Earth, yet he did so through maths. If God really did inspire the Bible would he really get the true nature of the Earth wrong by calling it a circle instead of a sphere and therefore be made to look silly by a Greek pagan who believed in a form of reincarnation and who was able to back up his claim with proper evidence?

The Bible also miscalculates Pi, in the 1st Book of Kings and the 2nd Book of Chronicle the value of Pi is said to be 3.00 when the true value is approx 3.14159. Ancient peoples often attempted to calculate this important number and as the calculations go the Bible is one of the worst estimates that we have. Archimedes calculated it to be 3.1419, impressively good and he came much closer than God did.

I have to say I don't believe in God for the same reason that you do, evidence. I just don't think the Bible contains anything which impresses me enough to think it has something more going for it than any other religious book.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

I believe God exists based on sound evidence from scriptural passages which accurately predict the greater empires right up to the current Ango-American world power.
    Ok, so one piece of a book is accurate. Does that mean that everything else in within the same set of covers is equally accurate?

"1+1=2"
    "JC understands evolution well enough to criticize it"

There. One thing is right. The other must be too. Not so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

The Bible also miscalculates Pi, in the 1st Book of Kings and the 2nd Book of Chronicle the value of Pi is said to be 3.00 when the true value is approx 3.14159. Ancient peoples often attempted to calculate this important number and as the calculations go the Bible is one of the worst estimates that we have. Archimedes calculated it to be 3.1419, impressively good and he came much closer than God did.

Not this nonsense again? The Bible does not state the value of pi. If there were a verse in the Bible saying, "Thus saith the Lord, the value of pi is exactly three" then your criticism would be justified. Instead the Bible simply gives the dimensions of different features of the Temple including the diameter and circumference of a huge basin. The dimensions given are perfectly consistent with the value of pi if any of the following conditions applied:
    a) If the figures given are rounded to the nearest cubit.
    b) If the basin had a decorative lip or rim that was included in the measurements and was measured round the outside of the circumference, but the diameter from inside edges.
    c) If the basin was not a perfect circle.

I would see all three as being perfectly plausible. The rounding of measurements to the nearest cubit would be consistent with other measurements in the passages concerned. Such temple furniture was often highly decorated, and bronze casting techniques of that time was hardly up to modern standards. Making a perfect circle of such a huge basin would be extraordinarily difficult - much more difficult than calculating pi.

Wicknight wrote: »
    For example, if I have the thread you are thinking of, Jimi basically said to me give me an alternative to explain the creation of the universe, otherwise I'm sticking with mine as it makes perfect sense.

I obviously couldn't offer an alternative. I've no idea what caused the big bang, if anything.

This highlights a quite fundamental difference in the way this issue is approached by the different sides.
    That sounds like the thread (although I’ve a memory of an exchange on both forums – but that’s not material).

What struck me about it is how the question of the creation of the universe is ancillary to Jimi’s faith. And, in this context, I’m not stating that as a criticism of his approach. As I said, I feel both of you gave solid accounts of your respective positions.
    Dades wrote: »
    None of that should have a bearing on the validity of a belief, however. And that validity is at the core of any discourse between theist/atheist.
    Here I’ll drive you nuts. I agree there is no necessary reason to believe that because many humans yearn for a god it means there is one. However, it would strike me that this can and will be pointed to as circumstantial evidence. Otherwise, you (up to a point) have to argue that many humans are essentially flawed.
    I feel if asked, people will say they believe in God because the concept is credible. If pushed, people frequently respond with the type of question you refer to above - what exists in the absence of religion? It's a side-step around an uncomfortable situation. I can't back up my belief - but damned if it ain't a more attractive proposition than yours!
    Indeed, but again I’d point out that this is not a completely empty line of argument. The fact that religion seems to match human needs in a way that atheism cannot is circumstantial evidence in support of theism. Theists can (and I feel effectively do) say that atheism would require them to assert that humans are ‘meant’ to be unhappy and cast adrift in a hostile world. They can acknowledge that to be a possibility, and then assert their choice to follow a more optimistic vision – that the world is designed for us, with a purpose for us each to fulfil and a reward if we do it right.

So consider how our theist deals with the situation of doubt about this or that holy book. There is reasonable evidence to suggest that the Quran is a carefully compiled record of the visions of Mohammed. Equally, there is reasonable evidence that the Gospels are a record of what fairly early Christians held to be significant about Jesus. We can quibble about both, but we cannot argue that those books bear no relationship to what they purport to be. Each is the product of an editorial process where people holding themselves out as believers compiled what was intended to be an authoritative book.

All the theist needs to do to keep a faith that makes sense to them in their daily lives is to give the editors of their holy book the benefit of the doubt. That’s not such an enormous leap, and I don’t see it being questioned unless something comes along that can play an equal part in their daily lives.

So, looking at it another way, I think we have to start listening differently when theists say things like ‘so you think there’s no meaning to life’. Questioning the concept of a unmoved mover, or why that unmoved mover needs to be omnipotent, (or, as Homer would say, omnivorous) simply isn’t addressing that point. At that moment the theist is really asking something about the nature of how we see reality. Answering that with a load of stuff about the virgin birth concept coming from a dodgy translation sounds like we’re being evasive. Hence, the dialogue continues with each person having a ground to think the other isn't dealing with the issue.

PDN wrote: »
    I would see all three as being perfectly plausible. The rounding of measurements to the nearest cubit would be consistent with other measurements in the passages concerned. Such temple furniture was often highly decorated, and bronze casting techniques of that time was hardly up to modern standards. Making a perfect circle of such a huge basin would be extraordinarily difficult - much more difficult than calculating pi.
    Would I be unusual in thinking that it doesn't amount to a hill of beans whether the Bible is geometrically accurate? I mean, surely it doesn't shagging matter one way or the other (whether we're holding it to be divinely inspired or not). Its just something that illustrates that its not a reliable source of scientific knowledge.

Hence, is there any need to go into the three possible explanations? Surely that's just suggesting they should have calculated Pi correctly, and they fact they didn't needs to be accounted for?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Your analysis leaves out what the motivation on the other side is for being an atheist.

Nor does it go very far. You're still comparing two very similar religious systems.

In particular, you're comparing two orthodoxic religions (post-Enlightenment Western Atheism being entirely orthodoxic and with zero concept of orthopraxy; different forms of Christianity differing in the degree but with Fundamentalism being nearly as entirely orthodoxic which is unsurprising given the shared post-Enlightenment roots).

Not all religions are anywhere near as orthodoxic. Of those that aren't some assume that doctrine precedes praxis and experience like orthodoxic views (perhaps a heritage from Plato's and Aristotle's heirarchies of reality that again is shared by both Christianity and post-Enlightenment Atheism).

For some religions lack orthodoxy to the point where doctrine is non-existent and irrelevant. Few give it anywhere near as much importance as post-Enlightenment Atheism and Fundamentalist Christianity (pretty much only certain trends within Islam and certain trends within Judaism, but certainly not every Muslim nor every Jew, just like not every Atheist or every Christian would).

Placing your point that faith is not necessarily the foundation of religion into a wider context it becomes more evidently true - faith may not actually be present at all.

On the other hand, Fundamentalists share the assumption of faith as the foundation (after all the "Fundamentals" that Fundamentalism takes its name from are articles of doctrine, not of ritual, lifestyle or any other matter) and so unlike most other religious people will often not believe in the Big Bang or evolutionary theories. The assumption of faith as the foundation of religion is actually one of the thing you have in common with Fundamentalist Christians, and it's precisely why creationism persists.

It's also a big part of why many Atheists persist in arguing against the religious as if we're Fundamentalist Christians and why Fundamentalist Christians persist in arguing against non-Fundamentalists non-Christians as if we're Atheists. Both sides find each other massively easier to understand.

Would I be unusual in thinking that it doesn't amount to a hill of beans whether the Bible is geometrically accurate? I mean, surely it doesn't shagging matter one way or the other (whether we're holding it to be divinely inspired or not). Its just something that illustrates that its not a reliable source of scientific knowledge.

Hence, is there any need to go into the three possible explanations? Surely that's just suggesting they should have calculated Pi correctly, and they fact they didn't needs to be accounted for?

I don't think there should be any need to go into such explanations, but confronted with daftness sometimes extraordinary measures are called for. I don't think the writers of the Bible calculated the value of pi correctly or incorrectly. They didn't calculate it at all. Somebody took some measurements, divine inspiration would imply that those measurements would be correct to some degree (even if rounded to the nearest cubit) and I was pointing out that the measurements are perfectly plausible. Therefore I was defending the historicity of the biblical account as being reasonable.

The only reason I can see why Depeche Mode would make an issue out of them calculating pi is that he believes that no measurements took place and that the biblical account is an invention. Either that or he lifted the idea from an atheist website and was too lazy to actually think it through properly but thought it would make a good soundbite.

Talliesin wrote: »
    Your analysis leaves out what the motivation on the other side is for being an atheist.
    It does, and its interesting and useful to have another view of the argument. Bear in mind that I'm chiefly saying to atheists 'the reason you're getting frustrated is because the whole creation business occupies a different place in your outlook'.
    In particular, you're comparing two orthodoxic religions (post-Enlightenment Western Atheism being entirely orthodoxic and with zero concept of orthopraxy; different forms of Christianity differing in the degree but with Fundamentalism being nearly as entirely orthodoxic which is unsurprising given the shared post-Enlightenment roots).
    I'm not sure how much of that I actually got. However, the kind of picture I'd have is that atheism at this stage is 'dox' averse, which I'd put down to the whole Marxism thing that we want to pretend never happened. We took God around the back of the barn with an axe, and reckoned once we'd that out of the way everything would start falling into place as humans freed from mindgames would inevitably build a perfect society.

Since that vanished up its own hole, I think atheists (again, take this place as a snapshot) are slow to say anything beyond the whole god concept being fantasy. "And then what?" "Whatever, I'm only saying the whole god thing is silly." "So whats it all about?" "I haven't a clue. Maybe nothing. Its just the whole god thing is silly." And so forth.

Are Christians and atheists essentially on the same wavelength? Possibly, although I was more thinking that they chiefly talk about two different things which is why the dialogue is endless.

I'm not claiming any particular insight. Alright, I'm claiming one insight which I think is frequently missed, as described above. And its a thought that comes from the evidence of reading discussions here. I think its a point worth developing, and I think it probably involves each of us asking 'Never mind the other guy for a minute, to what extent am I full of it'. Maybe the natural outcome of that is everyone will suddenly see that some form of self-manufactured paganism is the natural gravitational point for all right thinking folk.

Or maybe not. I don't know. I just think the whole god(s) thing is silly. But that's probably not the point.
    I don't think there should be any need to go into such explanations, but confronted with daftness sometimes extraordinary measures are called for.
    Not for the first time, you have supplied an answer that I find coherent and reasonable.

Not this nonsense again? The Bible does not state the value of pi. If there were a verse in the Bible saying, "Thus saith the Lord, the value of pi is exactly three" then your criticism would be justified. Instead the Bible simply gives the dimensions of different features of the Temple including the diameter and circumference of a huge basin. The dimensions given are perfectly consistent with the value of pi if any of the following conditions applied:
    a) If the figures given are rounded to the nearest cubit.
    b) If the basin had a decorative lip or rim that was included in the measurements and was measured round the outside of the circumference, but the diameter from inside edges.
    c) If the basin was not a perfect circle.

You will find that my mentioning Pi was as a response to Marcus.Aurelius's post that the Bible contains evidence which can be used to support it (eg when the Bible said the Earth was "circular" this is in some way evidence that the authors knew that the Earth was sperical.)

Now, the passage in Kings explicitly says the cauldron was circular and gives measurements of the circumference (30 cubits) and the diameter (10 cubits). There is no question but that the author could not have been completely accurate in this, maths beats theology every time.

There are some Christians who believe in the absolute literal truth of the Bible, they would reject your (a) and (c) explanations straight away as these set precendents for the Bible not being intended to be takn 100% at face value, the Bible says it was a circle, therefore it was a circle and the Bible says 30 cubits and 10 cubits then it was exactly those measurements. I guess the rim explanation might work, although it makes very little sense why anyone would bother giving the measurement from the outside of the rim when it is the interior that is the important measurements, and then to change to measuring the diameter from the interior of the rims.
    PDN wrote:
    The only reason I can see why Depeche Mode would make an issue out of them calculating pi is that he believes that no measurements took place and that the biblical account is an invention. Either that or he lifted the idea from an atheist website and was too lazy to actually think it through properly but thought it would make a good soundbite.

Actually the point that I was making was that I do not believe the Bible contains any startling evidence which lends it credibility. I know the Bible cannot be taken as literally true in that passage, even God cannot make a circle with a diameter of 10 and a circumference of 30. What I am interested in is the proofs offered in the Bible which has convinced Marcus.Aurelius because I can't see them anywhere.

Marcus.Aurelius mentions prophecies which I wager are extremely vague so that they can be made fit any number of historical events yet are too vague to actually be used to accurately predict the outcome of future events. He mentions that the Bible claims the Earth is spherical (it says circular - completely different). I then also pointed out that where the Bible actually had a chance of offering some good evidence for it having access to information that other sources at the time didn't have (ie by giving a surprisingly accurate approximation for Pi), the Bible fluffs its chance and gives what is a pretty bad approximation.

All the theist needs to do to keep a faith that makes sense to them in their daily lives is to give the editors of their holy book the benefit of the doubt. That’s not such an enormous leap, and I don’t see it being questioned unless something comes along that can play an equal part in their daily lives.

But it is an enormous leap. Just like the leap creationists take when they conclude: a designer exists; therefore it must be my God. As you point out - it's the point where the discussion usually goes downhill - and rightly so.

Your words have a pleasant ring to them, but any way you break them down it's the same thing. People will believe because the alternative is disagreeable. Of course there are full-blooded believers - but the ones who choose the side of the road they do because it's in the sun, are simply guilty of intellectual dishonesty.

There are some Christians who believe in the absolute literal truth of the Bible, they would reject your (a) and (c) explanations straight away as these set precendents for the Bible not being intended to be takn 100% at face value, the Bible says it was a circle, therefore it was a circle and the Bible says 30 cubits and 10 cubits then it was exactly those measurements. I guess the rim explanation might work, although it makes very little sense why anyone would bother giving the measurement from the outside of the rim when it is the interior that is the important measurements, and then to change to measuring the diameter from the interior of the rims.[/QUOTE

I have never met or heard of any Christian who saw a literal interpretation as excluding rounding figures up or down to the nearest unit. This would mean believing that when Paul says in Galatians that he waited 14 years before revisiting Jerusalem that he went on exactly the same date so that it was 14 years exactly to the day (not a day, minute, or even a fraction of second more or less). It would mean that distances mentioned must mean exactly a mile, not a fraction of an inch more or less etc. You are just setting up a straw man there I think, not representing the views of any real Christians at all.
    Actually the point that I was making was that I do not believe the Bible contains any startling evidence which lends it credibility. I know the Bible cannot be taken as literally true in that passage, even God cannot make a circle with a diameter of 10 and a circumference of 30. What I am interested in is the proofs offered in the Bible which has convinced Marcus.Aurelius because I can't see them anywhere.
    If that was the point you were making then I think you could have made it better without making the false claim about the Bible calculating a value for pi.
    I then also pointed out that where the Bible actually had a chance of offering some good evidence for it having access to information that other sources at the time didn't have (ie by giving a surprisingly accurate approximation for Pi), the Bible fluffs its chance and gives what is a pretty bad approximation.
    Other sources at the time didn't have access to enough information to measure the circumference and diameter of a circle?

But it is an enormous leap. Just like the leap creationists take when they conclude: a designer exists; therefore it must be my God. As you point out - it's the point where the discussion usually goes downhill - and rightly so.
    Indeed, you are right it is an extraordinary leap if you go from seeing the books as texts written by folk founding a religion to authoritative texts from God. But, you’ll appreciate, that assumes that someone acquires a religion through a process that starts with origins. If ‘historical authenticity of the text’ is actually step five or six on the road, then the need for such a leap doesn’t have the same significance. You may recall PDN’s post about the motorcycle manual. The acquisition of the faith is an iterative process through which confidence is built, and built on the basis of providing useful answers to current situations.

I don’t think we’re disagreeing on the facts of the matter. I just think if we want to appreciate where theists are coming from, these differences in our sequence of priorities have to be acknowledged.

I can envisage a discussion with a theist (obviously not JC) where we say 'you don't need a God to explain the origin of the universe, in fact its just a way of saying you don't know how to explain the origin of the universe', and get a theist reply along the lines of 'you're right, I don't need a god to explain the origin of the universe but I need a god to explain what I'm suppose to be about at the present and that's a far more immediate concern. Neither of us definitively knows how the universe came to be so, until such time as you positively eliminate god from the equation, I'll just admit I don't know and base my faith on the fact that religion is relevant to my concerns here and now which you have no answers for at all.'
    Your words have a pleasant ring to them, but any way you break them down it's the same thing. People will believe because the alternative is disagreeable. Of course there are full-blooded believers - but the ones who choose the side of the road they do because it's in the sun, are simply guilty of intellectual dishonesty.
    However, again, the alternative being perceived to be disagreeable is more than just a minor fact to be acknowledged. It would be unusual in any other context to argue for disagreeable alternatives.

Consider it this way, leaving aside the 'circumstantial evidence' point for a moment (but not forgetting it, as we are at some level arguing that many humans can only function when deluded which is not a light thing to argue).

Assume someone produced a compelling case illustrating both that religion is false and that humans are generally at their most satisfied and effective when believing in a faith. Why, in that situation, would we feel that it was in human self-interest to argue against faith? And if we reach for something like that Carl Sagan quote about it being better to face reality, can we explain why facing reality is such an overwhelmingly important ethic that all other considerations take second place?

It simply would seem strange to argue for an increase in human misery, if that was the outcome of atheism. Now, if we feel that an increase in human misery is not the outcome of atheism, I’d suggest we should start substantiating that. Because I think that would be far more relevant to discussions than anything to do with unmoved movers.

If that was the point you were making then I think you could have made it better without making the false claim about the Bible calculating a value for pi.

If you say an object is circular, you give it diameter and then you give its circumference you have as good as attempted to calculate Pi.
    Other sources at the time didn't have access to enough information to measure the circumference and diameter of a circle?

They did, but not to an extremely accurate degree due to imperfect measuring devices. The Egyptians and Phoenecians were a more advanced and developed society to the Jews at the time so had the Bible provided an estimate for Pi which was more accurate than the best that these societies could manage then it would have been a big positive mark for the Bible and would have been a problem for non-believers to come up with an explanation for. That in actual fact the measurements of the cauldron were so roughly described just shows how unaware / disinterested the author was in such a significant value as Pi.

But as I say Pi was only an example in my argument that time and again, when the Bible had the chance to provide evidence to support it we find that it doesn't. I know the response is that "The Bible isn't a science book (or maths book)" but I feel that it missed a big trick by not incorporating some maths and science into it. I mean back in the good old days when God used to actually talk to people he could have given some proper evidence for his existence. He could have ditched most of the 10 commandments because these were laws that are inbuilt in humans anyways, we already knew it is wrong to kill, we knew we should take care of our parents. People had known these things long before God told Moses. Instead he should have written on the tablets things like "Energy is equal to mass times the speed of light multiplied by itself". It would have meant nothing to Moses but if he did then he would have convinced me and today I would be Jewish.

he should have written on the tablets things like "Energy is equal to mass times the speed of light multiplied by itself". It would have meant nothing to Moses but if he did then he would have convinced me and today I would be Jewish.
    Your ship just came in.

I had a look at a few of the "proofs", I have to say I'm afraid I demand slightly higher standards for my scientific proofs than Allah offers. I'm still open to improved offers from any other gods out there though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

It does, and its interesting and useful to have another view of the argument. Bear in mind that I'm chiefly saying to atheists 'the reason you're getting frustrated is because the whole creation business occupies a different place in your outlook'.
    Yep.

It's interesting to ask the same question about oneself though. If you lend any credence to current views of psychology you have to conclude (at a rational level at least, you may feel so at an instinctual one) that whatever the theological truths or untruths may be, there's a reason why you don't believe in any god, why most people in this country believe in one and I believe in many that is about us and not about the divine.

The question of why you are an Atheist is a different question than whether that makes you correct.
    I'm not sure how much of that I actually got. However, the kind of picture I'd have is that atheism at this stage is 'dox' averse, which I'd put down to the whole Marxism thing that we want to pretend never happened. We took God around the back of the barn with an axe, and reckoned once we'd that out of the way everything would start falling into place as humans freed from mindgames would inevitably build a perfect society.
    Well, I'd divide modern Western Atheism into two related but not entirely connected trends, one is post-Enlightenment scientific thought and one is Marxism. The two fed off each other, often more than either would like to admit, but are still separate.

There are other completely different trends in Atheism (Zen Buddhism and people who just go "that's a loada ****e" and don't give it another thought being two relatively large ones), but the one that is most currently voiced by people who identify with their Atheism to the point where they would bother to post here would be the post-Enlightenment scientific variety.

Parking that thought for a moment, three large parts to having a religion (which for want of a better term I'll extend to include forms of Atheism and Agnosticism, and ask you to overlook it for now as merely convenience in language) are doctrine (what one believes or doesn't believe), and praxis (practice) further split between everyday praxis and ritualism. (I'm not going to assume I'm not leaving out another aspect of equivalent importance, but we'll just deal with those three rather than try to find more).

Not all three parts will exist in every religion. In Zen we largely have everyday praxis as primary with doctrine (there is no ultimate god, existence is suffering, existence can be escaped) coming after that and relatively little ritual. Catholicism has a large amount of all three, but with the praxis following from doctrine (the ritual and everyday behaviour of a "good" Catholic both follow from the credo and interpretations thereof). Most Protestant denominations reduce the degree of ritual considerably, some to the point of replacing church entirely with home prayer meetings (like many Anabaptist groups). Wiccans pretty much just have ritual orthopraxy which may influence practitioners beliefs but no doctrine beyond agreeing that performing those rituals has a value (they need not agree on what that value is, whether the gods are real or psychological or pretty much any doctrinal point). Other Pagan witches (of the sort that are called "Wiccan" in the US) abandoned that orthopraxy and the focus returned to believes again, though still much looser than any religion with a formal credo.

It's worth adding that doctrine covers not just what is believed, but some things that are not believed. Neither Buddhism nor Catholicism contains a belief in polytheistic deities, but syncretist beliefs that combine Buddhism with polytheism remain Buddhist (e.g. those forms which contain a belief in devas or which have absorbed Shinto spirits) while those that combine Catholicism with polytheism are normally considered outside of Catholicism (e.g. the syncretic religions such as Voodoo and Candomblé). Buddhism does not contain a belief in polytheism, but it doesn't contain a disbelief in it either, Catholicism contains a disbelief in polytheism.

Similarly, post-Enlightenment Atheism contains a disbelief in both monotheism and polytheism, it can't tolerate the addition of polytheism in the same way that Buddhist Atheism can.

As well as differing degrees of doctrine or praxis, there's the matter of which precedes which. Judaism would have a much stronger sense of orthopraxy than most forms of Christianity, but shares with it that the praxis follows from the beliefs (consider the questions asked during a Passover Seder and how they give a reason from scripture for the practices of the night). Tribal religions may contain shared beliefs, but they start with people doing "what our people do", rather than with doing something because of the beliefs (though they may be intellectualised as originating with the beliefs later).

Post-Enlightenment Atheism shares this matter of doctrine preceding praxis (I personally believe this may have originated with Platonic and Aristotlean metaphysics as I stated above). This doesn't have much effect on such Atheists as such (since you pretty much don't have any praxis) but it does affect how Post-Enlightenment Atheists tend to think about religion more generally.

This is related to part of our shared intellectual heritage as Westerners (hence my theory about Plato and Aristotle); consider that we tend to think of scientific discovery preceding technological innovation, despite the fact that very often the technological innovation comes first and then the theory as to why the innovation is so effective comes later (happens in programming and computer science on occasion, a more impressive example is engineers building steam engines when scientists still said they were impossible). As such even a Westerner like myself who practices a religion where the emphasis is on praxis and belief non-existent (though present in my personal religious views) will often talk as if belief is the foundation of religion despite that not being how I actually experience it.

Which brings us back to the Enlightenment. The Enlightenment happened amongst a largely Christian (Protestants especially), largely privileged group of scientifically minded intellectuals. From that position a big part of how to think about religious matters, mystical and mythological ways of looking at religious stories, was devalued. From that position there arose a belief that the Christian Bible was either literally true or worthless. That binary question, if accepted, offers two positions; post-Enlightenment Atheism (the Christian Bible is worthless*), or Fundamentalist Christianity (the Christian Bible is literally true).
    Since that vanished up its own hole, I think atheists (again, take this place as a snapshot) are slow to say anything beyond the whole god concept being fantasy. "And then what?" "Whatever, I'm only saying the whole god thing is silly." "So whats it all about?" "I haven't a clue. Maybe nothing. Its just the whole god thing is silly." And so forth.

Well, of course those Atheists who expected otherwise were being irrational in expecting anything else. Valuing rational thought doesn't make Atheists purely rational animals, and believing otherwise is as irrational as one can get - Atheists are still human.

I think Atheists tend to be dox-adverse, as you put it, at an intellectual level, but not at an instinctual one. I've seen Atheists cite as heroes of Atheism Einstein (a Theist in the Spinoza model), Newton (a deeply devout, if heretical, Christian) and once even Arthur Conan-Doyle (who was credulous to the extent that he more closely matched the strawman stereotype of a foolish believer than any sort of Atheist rationalist). I offer that this is a form of superstition. There is no reason why Atheists should be any more unhappy that these people were religious than any other people, but because they are in different ways important to the value that rational thinking now has to the post-Enlightenment era they are important to Atheism despite their own religious views, and there is a tendency to canonise them.

This actually flies in the face of the sort of rational thinking that Atheists laud, which is why I describe it as a superstition rather than a belief - it's a belief outside of accepted doctrine.

Those are deliberately extreme examples, and rather unfair as such, but they are not uncommon. More generally, Atheists will tend to make irrational leaps the same as everyone else simply because the brain works that way. We know the brain works that way, saying otherwise is no different than saying dinosaurs where something god did for a laugh on the 8th day.
    Are Christians and atheists essentially on the same wavelength?
    From my point of view you are very similar indeed (particularly with Fundamentalist Christianity, less so with more mystical forms).
    Possibly, although I was more thinking that they chiefly talk about two different things which is why the dialogue is endless.
    I think you've hit on part of it. I also think the remaining mystical element, the element of communal experience, the received moral code and other elements of Christianity that just don't have a parallel in your world view do lead to impasses.

I think those of us who don't fit in either group (including not just non-Christian religious† people, but Atheists who allow for some sort of spiritual or paranormal reality and Christians with a more mystical and experiential and less doctrine-based view) tend to skew the whole thing quite a bit too. Since we are very much outside of the core debates between those two groups, but those two groups are largely focusing on each other, we provide more heat than light to the debates themselves.

Atheists don't have a very good answer to the question of why people will continue to behave in a reasonably moral manner without a belief in god to offer to people who practice a received morality. You simply don't. You've got plenty of evidence to suggest that they will (e.g. everyone who is Atheist or of a religion that also doesn't have a received morality, or is from a religion that dictates some rules for how to deal with co-religious and not beyond that - as a rule they all behave perfectly well), but that's not really an answer that fits their framework.

You are ironically requiring a leap of faith from such people before they can accept your view on this.

You're also ironically very bad at beauty and spiritual response. I say ironically, because there are some Atheists who are very good at this (Richard Feynman has written some passages that I personally rate amongst the best ever on the spiritual response to the beauty of the natural world, John Lennon is one of my favourite song-writers including when he is prosyletising an Atheist view), but so far Atheist apologists have done a poor job at this. It's also ironic because Fundamentalist Christianity is even worse at this, at least as far as what it will acknowledge in explicit statement.

There's no need for this, if we consider "spirituality" as the applying of value to something there's nothing to stop Atheists from experiencing this. Again I refer to Feynman, "Our imagination is stretched to the utmost, not, as in fiction, to imagine things which are not really there, but just to comprehend those things which are there." is 100% Atheist in sentiment, but to my mind also a spiritual statement. My view of the mechanics of birth, sex, procreation and death is no different to yours (I may add a few gods and goddesses on at another level, but still...), it's the value I place on it that makes me a practitioner of a fertility religion, not how I think it works.

I have sometimes heard people who uneasily identify as Atheists talk in some terms, and sometimes heard people who identify as Atheism talk uneasily in such terms. While many Atheists will discard all notion of spirituality wholesale (and that's fair enough) many others seem more embarrassed by it than opposed to it. It's a difficulty in Atheist apologia that I think also leads to an impasse, though this time more with other religious people than with Fundamentalism. When I see an Atheist like Dawkins first cast scorn upon the beauty of poetry and then in the same book quote John Lennon because his poetry can express a point better than he can I consider him doubly a fool, but more for his scorn of poetry than his hypocritical use of it. Ultimately, if all my experiences of the Craft are mere delusion, I'm happier to experience beauty in ignorance than be both correct and ugly. But an Agnostic like Feynman, I can see much beauty in his expression, and wonder why that is so rarely expressed. Are Atheists afraid of being accused of being mystics?
    I think its a point worth developing, and I think it probably involves each of us asking 'Never mind the other guy for a minute, to what extent am I full of it'.
    Well I'd have to agree with that, my religion encourages self-examination :)
    Maybe the natural outcome of that is everyone will suddenly see that some form of self-manufactured paganism is the natural gravitational point for all right thinking folk.
    LOL. I actually find that thought rather scary.
    Or maybe not. I don't know. I just think the whole god(s) thing is silly. But that's probably not the point. Not for the first time, you have supplied an answer that I find coherent and reasonable.
    Thank you.

Ultimately, I just find the whole thing - Atheists, Christians, Druids, Jews, Druze, Shamans, the whole lot of it far too interesting not to keep prodding at the different ideas they each have. Which is perhaps another matter. My reasons for bothering with any religious discussion are mainly that I find the whole thing interesting. I also have absolutely zero interest in converting you to my religious views (I may attempt to persuade you if we were to differ on how best secularism should be expressed, since that's a political matter rather than an Atheist or religious one and I have every interest in living in a more secular society). Christians and Atheists seem rarely to have that much interest in each other, and always great interest in converting each other. That's stating the obvious, but it does also mean you put each other on the defensive before you begin to discuss anything. Of course you're going to keep missing each others' points; you want to miss their points.

* Barring a small minority who developed an interest in Hinduism, Buddhism or Classical Paganism who were pretty marginal, but of interest to me as they probably had an intellectual influence in setting the scene for the Pagan revivals of the 19th and 20th Century.

† "Religious" as an adjective for a person is a rather loaded word in different ways. I describe myself as religious but mean by that merely that my religion is personally important to me. People may view that as a good, bad or indifferent thing, but that's not really the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭iUseVi

I had a look at a few of the "proofs", I have to say I'm afraid I demand slightly higher standards for my scientific proofs than Allah offers. I'm still open to improved offers from any other gods out there though.

I love the relativity of time one. A similar quote is in the bible:
    … A day with your Lord is equivalent to a thousand years in the way you count.

ROFL

iUseVi wrote: »
    … A day with your Lord is equivalent to a thousand years in the way you count.

I heard that modern physicist plagarised heavily from this passage when providing the proof for the relativity of time. I mean its obvious from that passage that Muhammed had done all the hard work already, all physicists did was smoothen off the rough edges.

Assume someone produced a compelling case illustrating both that religion is false and that humans are generally at their most satisfied and effective when believing in a faith. Why, in that situation, would we feel that it was in human self-interest to argue against faith? And if we reach for something like that Carl Sagan quote about it being better to face reality, can we explain why facing reality is such an overwhelmingly important ethic that all other considerations take second place?
    That's all well and good in the realm of personal faith. I only talk religion with someone who has made it clear that they wish to engage. Even when that is clear, I'm reluctant about it with someone who I know to hold a personal faith, and I feel is all the happier for it.

But belief is not always personal, instead it manifests itself in many ways; some of which affect everyone - some only the followers of the belief. In short faith on it's own is mostly harmless (and frequently positive), but the control aspect of the Religion is a threat to those who aren't a part of it. Not to resort to analogy, I've no problem with other people engaging in BDSM - but I would if I was forced to be involved!

Atheists (well, most ;)) aren't threatened by old ladies coming out of churches, or Bolivian villagers; they're threatened by having to baptise their kids to get them into schools, or talk of Sharia law. These are simply things that are relevant to them.
    It simply would seem strange to argue for an increase in human misery, if that was the outcome of atheism. Now, if we feel that an increase in human misery is not the outcome of atheism, I’d suggest we should start substantiating that. Because I think that would be far more relevant to discussions than anything to do with unmoved movers.
    I guess that's where such movements as Humanism, or maybe the Brights are a key. They offer something to fill the void created by the 'truth'.

If you go down the road of not questioning - turning a blind eye to the propagation of myth - where does it end? Or is it the beginning of the end for human enquiry?

robindch wrote: »
    Ok, so one piece of a book is accurate. Does that mean that everything else in within the same set of covers is equally accurate?

"1+1=2"
    "JC understands evolution well enough to criticize it"

There. One thing is right. The other must be too. Not so?

I believe your example is over-simplfied, notwithstanding the excellent point you're making. And I agree, but its difficult for anyone to argue the point with people who have never read a decent translation and never took the time to read it in its entirety.

A book of 66 other books, by many authors is rarely as harmonious or on message. The Roman Catholic church butchered the true message and used it to dominate the ignorant. That does not mean the book itself is incorrect.

If I suppose we wrote a book on evolution over a period of around 2,000 years, I imagine it would be full of contradictions, remapping and reworking as the information would constantly be under review scientifically. The Bible does not contradict itself nor does it change message halfway through. Perceived contradictions are often taken out of context by ulterior motive to contrive suspicion.

You can imagine my frustration in this regard.

@Dades, there is no personal God, only certain groups interpretation of a divine being. I believe the God I trust is the God of all others, but that doesn't mean He agrees with their means of worship, if you will.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

If I suppose we wrote a book on evolution over a period of around 2,000 years, I imagine it would be full of contradictions, remapping and reworking as the information would constantly be under review scientifically.
    And that is the difference though, isn't it? The information would be constantly under scientific review. Revisions of the book reflecting the current thinking, confirmed by peer review, testing and modelling, would be published and it would be very easy to tell if you were reading the latest iteration.

The bible does not have any of this.

I will not comment on contradictions as I don’t think my understanding is up to it, I prefer to defer to those with a greater knowledge.

MrP

No contradiction?! That's funny.

Here's a whole list of them:
    http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/contra/by_name.html

Now admittedly some of them are slightly tenuous, but the bulk of them are not.

I think if you read them, most of them are out of context and the others are meaningless. I really can't understand nitpicking wand ignoring the big picture.

Most of them are also rubbish, there were two arks. God never tires but has boundless energy, but his patience tires out (obviously).

Its a silly exercise, and one could find just as many in popular science, not even evolutionary!

I think if you read them, most of them are out of context and the others are meaningless. I really can't understand nitpicking wand ignoring the big picture.

Most of them are also rubbish, there were two arks. God never tires but has boundless energy, but his patience tires out (obviously).

Its a silly exercise, and one could find just as many in popular science, not even evolutionary!

Surely, but the presence of even a single contradiction in an infallible book should be a concern to those who think it infallible. Depends on the way you view the bible, I know there's wide and varying views on this throughout Christendom.

• Advertisement

The question of why you are an Atheist is a different question than whether that makes you correct.
    I think you are absolutely right; and actually trying to look at the thing objectively takes a supreme act of will.
    Are Atheists afraid of being accused of being mystics?
    I see it as a difficulty in acknowleging that religion must be doing something for people and whatever that something is needs to be addressed by atheism. Theres a video out there of a discussion between Dawkins, Dennett, Hitchens and Harris. Sam Harris raised, as he does, what we might call the mystic question. I think its interesting how haltingly he does raise it in that company and how Dawkins sort of shifts uncomfortably and says something like 'I think its great that people like Sam are saying that'. Which is a long drawon out way of me saying I think you have a point..
    Of course you're going to keep missing each others' points; you want to miss their points.
    There certainly is a desire on each side to stay on message. But I think progress is possible - with a simple start being people raising these questions in their own minds.

Advertisement