Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russian classes

Options
  • 08-06-2008 3:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭

I'm interested in learning Russian. Does anyone know any language school in Dublin that offers classes in it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭trevorku

Honey your best best is to go to the phone book or the internet and look, theres a few good places, Trinity college does the classes but its way expensive. Also Sandsford Institute in Milltown has a good rep and theres a few more around I'm sure. Have you try the study at home course you can buy in bookshops, I can read Russian but could not teach it in any means. I had a personal teacher here from Russia(Moscow), her name is Svetlana, and she was giving me Russian lessons for like 25Euros per lesson, it was like 2 lessons a week, it wasnt the cheapest however she was strict and really good, not only was she a teacher she was a ENGLISH TEACHER in MOSCOW UNIVERSITY. I gave up because I was learning as a hobby rather than anything else and and she was serious, dead serious about it so it didnt work, but if you wanted to learn fast, she was the right woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭cailinoBAC

I did three years with Trinity. I don't think it's any more expensive than any other language school. For the first two years it's twice a week and it's for about 26 weeks. (Follows the trinity timetable - 2 terms of 10 weeks and one of 6 weeks)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭Blondie86Star

cailinoBAC wrote: »
    I did three years with Trinity. I don't think it's any more expensive than any other language school. For the first two years it's twice a week and it's for about 26 weeks. (Follows the trinity timetable - 2 terms of 10 weeks and one of 6 weeks)
    how is your fluency rate now? or how was it after a year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭cailinoBAC

I don't think I'm a typical student...After the first year I went to Belarus for a year to teach English....I didn't learn as much there as I should have because I was lazy, so I didn't try to skip the second year when I came back, though I did cruise through it. At the end of the second year I travelled around Russia for 3 and a half weeks and I was able to communicate with everyone.That was probably when I was happiest with my Russian. But then I took a year off. I went back for the 3rd year, but it was only once a week and I was doing ACCA at the same time, so it wasn't my top priority, but a lot of other students there, some had no connection with Russia other than the class, and they spoke quite well. I have to say, I enjoyed those classes the most, because they were done entirely in Russian and the teacher, Natasha, was so enthusiastic. I just didn't have the time to look over it - the week would fly by, and suddenly it was time for the next class and I hadn't even looked over what we'd done in the last one.
    I didn't do it this year, still at the ACCA, but I went back to Belarus twice for weddings. The Russian is always a bit rusty the first day or two, then you get back into it. At this stage though, while I can communicate, I'm lazy about a lot of the grammar. Also, I'm planning on travelling to South America so I'm learning some Spanish now and I'm not one of these people who can juggle multiple languages...
    However, I really do like the Russian language, and I don't want to lose it, so I will probably enrol again the September after this one...maybe redo the 3rd year. If you are serious about doing Russian I think they now prepare for the Russian equivalent of the cambridge exams. If you are just interested in travelling to Russia, I'd say try the first year and you could get by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Rimbaud

There's no Russian classes in Cork if i'm right?
    I'm thinking of trying to get private lessons but i think it could be expensive and not sure if its worth it compared to structured classes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 softie

I'll give you few lessons over the internet if you like. Wont charge you anything. Let us know if you are interested. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Aysel

Hi there!

My name is Aysel and I am doing PhD (in Law) at UCD. I am teaching Contract Law at UCD as well. I also hold postgraduate degree in law from the University of Essex, UK. Prior to starting my PhD here in Dublin, I worked as a lawyer in Warsaw, as a researcher in India and as a Staff Attorney for the American Bar Association.
    Russian is my mother tongue. I grew up in Moscow and completed both my secondary school education and undergraduate degree in law in Russian Language. I taught Russian to English speakers in Warsaw and in Baku during 2003-2006 and in 2008. I taught students, academicians and businessmen and those who just wanted to brush up their Russian. I taught beginners as well as students with the intermediate level of Russian.

My classes are tailored according to your particular needs and may include grammar, reading, writing, listening ( tapes, movies in Russian). Simply let me know what are you interested in more and for what purposes do you need to study Russian. After testing your level of Russian ( both oral and written) I will then design an individual programme for you. It is possible to have individual one to one classes (1 hour) as well as group (1,5 hrs) classes. Individual class normally lasts 1 hour and costs 25 euro ( at my place-South Dublin, Dublin 4).

If you are interested please let me know as soon as possible so we can work out the schedule as I have other students and many other commitments. My email is: aysel_02@yahoo.com

Spasibo i Do vstrechi! ( "Thank you and See you!" in Russian)

Best regards,

Aysel

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

Rimbaud wrote: »
    There's no Russian classes in Cork if i'm right?
    I'm thinking of trying to get private lessons but i think it could be expensive and not sure if its worth it compared to structured classes.

I'm also having no luck finding a Russian teacher in Cork. Any one with any information, please contact me.

Private lessons preferable but any suggestions welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Vagabondo

Hi All!
    I am a native Russian speaker based in co.Wexford. Anyone interested in practicing your Russian are welcome. Please, leave a personal message for arrangements.
    Best regards,
    Alexander

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭TripleAce

Any classes in Limerick starting soon?

I tried LIT and another college in town but both classes were canceled (back in September) as they didn't reach the minimum number :mad:

I will try again in January for the winter courses!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43 rich87

I know this might not be the right place but was hoping someone might know what the words under this stalin propoganda poster says. Thanks

350px-Poster08.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Vagabondo

rich87 wrote: »
    I know this might not be the right place but was hoping someone might know what the words under this stalin propoganda poster says. Thanks

350px-Poster08.jpg
    it will sound something like that:
    "Loved Stalin - is people's happiness!"
    or
    "Favorite Stalin - national happiness!"
    Enjoy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 rich87

Thanks for that Vagabondo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 zen15

I live in Drogheda, if any one know of a russian teacher, I'd love classes at a basic level, can travel some distance and am also flexible on times
    thanks

Advertisement