Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Convert petrol car to run on biofuel(E85)?

Options
  • 05-06-2008 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭

I've been thinking about this especially with the mad rise in petrol prices. I know there was a thread that mentioned it but I can't find now. So a few questions. Appreciate any thoughts on it.

Is it easy to get done?
    How much does it cost?
    Is it cost-effective?
    Is there any point or is it better to buy a new green car like the Focus or Volvo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

is_that_so wrote: »
    Is it cost-effective?

No. I looked into it before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Search. ninety9er has had the conversion kit installed in his Astra.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,945 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

is_that_so wrote: »
    Is there any point or is it better to buy a new green car like the Focus or Volvo

So you'll willingly spend several thousand Euro to save a few Euro on a full tank:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Del2005 wrote: »
    So you'll willingly spend several thousand Euro to save a few Euro on a full tank:confused:

ninetyniner posted the leaflet, it was in or around €600 iirc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Stekelly wrote: »
    That's correct, and E85 is about 30c cheaper a litre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,945 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Stekelly wrote: »

I was responding to the OP asking about buying a new green Ford or Volvo, not the price of the conversion.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

JHMEG wrote: »
    That's correct, and E85 is about 30c cheaper a litre.
    97.5c the other day compared to 133.9c for petrol.

Leaflet posted again. Trying to find the damn thing, my desktop is like a virtual bomb hit it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Im looking into doing this the DIY route:

Larger injectors, uprated fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator and a performance tune. Basically a considerably beefed up fuel system which costs less (minus tuning/remapping, but still close) than the E85 "conversions" floating around, which do nothing (afaik) other then work your stock injectors harder, which may indeed be ok for some appications..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭derry

Here is thread on my progress so far 50% E85 and 50% E5 =~E40

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=57248225#post57248225

Derry

I've been running full E85 since about 4 months and 4,000 miles now. Changed the spark plugs last weekend and the fuel filter yesterday.

The car is running fine after the spark changing. They were quite dirty, but that's to be expected after 10-12k.

The price is going up though. Now 99.9 although it was 101.9 on the Cork Road in Waterford a few weeks ago, so obviously it depends on where you're getting it.

No regrets here!

• Advertisement

ninty9er wrote: »
    I've been running full E85 since about 4 months and 4,000 miles now. Changed the spark plugs last weekend and the fuel filter yesterday.

The car is running fine after the spark changing. They were quite dirty, but that's to be expected after 10-12k.

The price is going up though. Now 99.9 although it was 101.9 on the Cork Road in Waterford a few weeks ago, so obviously it depends on where you're getting it.

No regrets here!

good to see a few trend setters

What make of car is yours and age
    Is it electonic ignition or petrol injected engine with or without turbo

what MPG L/100Kl etc were you getting on E5 and what are you getting on E85
    Any noticable power boost or less rattle out of the engine etc

how long did the convertion take and do you have to twiddle any buttons when you fuel up to tell car the fuel mixxes or is it automatic fuel sensor senscing the type of fuel

Will you probably go back to E25 blends for better economy

can you easily whip off the kit and fit to another new car you buy so converting the old car back to E5 and making the new car E85

At ~600 a E85 kit convertion I don't think you can get your money back when selling the car as a useful extra and so keeping the kit chugging along fro ten years would make the kit convertion more interesting for many folks

Do you know any others just using E85 or E85and E5 mixes in non flex fuel cars which have no mods done to them

Derry

derry wrote: »
    What make of car is yours and age
    In my sig;)
    Is it electonic ignition or petrol injected engine with or without turbo
    Electronic non turbo
    what MPG L/100Kl etc were you getting on E5 and what are you getting on E85
    Any noticable power boost or less rattle out of the engine etc
    Around 10-12l/100km

Nothing seriously noticeable on the performance side
    how long did the convertion take
    Took a morning with the guy, though had to have a replacement unit fitted after a few weeks.....dodgy batch.
    and do you have to twiddle any buttons when you fuel up to tell car the fuel mixxes or is it automatic fuel sensor sensing the type of fuel
    Wholly automatic, which is why I see the UK move towards LPG rather than E85 as foolhardy, considering LPG is also fossil:rolleyes:
    Will you probably go back to E25 blends for better economy
    No, I throw €20 of petrol in every few fills. I don't use E5, never have.
    can you easily whip off the kit and fit to another new car you buy so converting the old car back to E5 and making the new car E85
    It can be done, but I don't have the expertise. I'd prefer to sell it on with the conversion attached.
    At ~600 a E85 kit convertion I don't think you can get your money back when selling the car as a useful extra and so keeping the kit chugging along fro ten years would make the kit convertion more interesting for many folks
    Don't quite get you there....but no I don't reckon I'll get my €570 back, it might make the car move quicker though, the same as €4k spent on leather upholstery.
    Do you know any others just using E85 or E85and E5 mixes in non flex fuel cars which have no mods done to them
    A few people have been curious and the guy who fitted it had done about 70 or 80 conversions.

ninty9er wrote:
    Wholly automatic, which is why I see the UK move towards LPG rather than E85 as foolhardy, considering LPG is also fossil

The way the stations Maxol are selling out to Topaz who dont do E85 and the determination of the oil Giants to eradicate E85 from ROI its something to think about

Spend ~600 converting to LPG which is cheaper than petrol but is still fossil or risk ~600 converting to do E85 and find next year that there is no Maxol stations and no sources of E85

Every fuel crisis we get the rise of alternitives which are cheaper than oil and then after the oil companies make petrol cheaper and KILL OFF alternitives and then we get enslaved yet again to oil solutions

Unless we get a government that will make home grown Bio fuels the main fuel for the ROI nad tax petrol out of the piture we will fall slap bbang for the ooil comapnies entrapment trick

Been ther e1974 and 1979 and other times now here we go again 2008

The difference is now we know and have proof from tribunals it all done using brown mana which invents the laws to protect the rich enslavers

Derry

The way the stations Maxol are selling out to Topaz who dont do E85 and the determination of the oil Giants to eradicate E85 from ROI its something to think about

Spend ~600 converting to LPG which is cheaper than petrol but is still fossil or risk ~600 converting to do E85 and find next year that there is no Maxol stations and no sources of E85

Every fuel crisis we get the rise of alternitives which are cheaper than oil and then after the oil companies make petrol cheaper and KILL OFF alternitives and then we get enslaved yet again to oil solutions

Unless we get a government that will make home grown Bio fuels the main fuel for the ROI nad tax petrol out of the piture we will fall slap bbang for the ooil comapnies entrapment trick

Been ther e1974 and 1979 and other times now here we go again 2008

The difference is now we know and have proof from tribunals it all done using brown mana which invents the laws to protect the rich enslavers

Derry

I don't buy into the Roswell/X-Files conspiracy theories. If it's economical to provide E85 then it will continue to be provided. Independents will pick up the slack where the giants fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,151 ✭✭✭✭L1011

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Conspiracy theories forum for you matey.

Firstly, Maxol aren't 'selling out' to Topaz. There is not a hope in hell that any merger you've imagined there would ever be allowed by the Competition Authority. Indeed, as the Topaz chain was built over the years (Jet + BP to make Statoil, then Statoil + Shell to make Topaz) they had to dispose of stations; most of which Maxol bought!

Secondly, Topaz aren't an oil company, they're a retailer and nothing more. They don't import their own fuel, don't do home heating oil, don't do anything other than forecourt sales.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭VH

MYOB wrote: »
    There is not a hope in hell that any merger you've imagined there would ever be allowed by the Competition Authority.
    thats what they said last time :)

ninty9er wrote: »
    I don't buy into the Roswell/X-Files conspiracy theories. If it's economical to provide E85 then it will continue to be provided. Independents will pick up the slack where the giants fail.

I think you find that this entry

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=57250474&postcount=28
    ART6 wrote:
    derry wrote:
    Originally Posted by derry View Post
    Ethanol works very welll in Brazil a so called backward country and yet they try to say it wont work here

They are not part of the EU, so they can make sensible decisions and carry them out. The EU wants every member state to increase their use of biofuels, but pays farmers not to grow anything under the Set Aside policy, and then prohibits selection of sources for imports under its competition policy. That suggests to me that some countries that should be growing food rather than biofuels are encouraged to do the latter. Then, under various waste directives a material that has been deliberately discarded remains a waste, and technically, if burned, becomes subject to the highly restrictive Waste Incineration Directive. It's typical of the joined up thinking of the EU Commission.

The other argument about who should be growing biofuels is, perhaps, that some very poor countries can't grow enough food to feed their people due to poor land, but might be able to grow biofuel crops that they can then sell for the money to buy food.

Either way, since to PC brigade has now decided that biofuels are bad, we aren't going to see a major availability of cheaper alternatives to petrol or diesel for a long time yet. I suspect that as usual the policy will be let's wait until it's too late and then announce a few irrelevant initiatives.

to the descussion on
    "Minister abandons biofuel target as doubts grow about benefits"

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055343626

this response shows a strong method to eradicatre E85 from these shore

been there seen LPG come and go the way of the dodo and And my money isnt going into some E85 convertion kit until I can be sure thaere will always be eneogh of the fuel to make it worth my while

In the mean time I will play with just using the fuel direct into my car and see how far a mix of E85 and E5 mixxes I can get away with on a non flex car so if Etanol E85 no longer exosts I wont be any the worse off

so far E40 no issues hope to reach E85 100% within a few weeks

testing in 5% increments

why do I think you are selling a E85 convertion kit ??? and don't want to see the facts as they come from on high to kill of E85

Derry

VH wrote: »
    thats what they said last time :)

The Shell/Statoil merger required disposal of a number of sites - mostly to Maxol (some to Petrogas). As a result that merger would NEVER be allowed.

But he's only imagining it anyway.

The Shell/Statoil merger required disposal of a number of sites - mostly to Maxol (some to Petrogas). As a result that merger would NEVER be allowed.

Indeed.

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Conspiracy theories forum for you matey.

Firstly, Maxol aren't 'selling out' to Topaz. There is not a hope in hell that any merger you've imagined there would ever be allowed by the Competition Authority. Indeed, as the Topaz chain was built over the years (Jet + BP to make Statoil, then Statoil + Shell to make Topaz) they had to dispose of stations; most of which Maxol bought!

Secondly, Topaz aren't an oil company, they're a retailer and nothing more. They don't import their own fuel, don't do home heating oil, don't do anything other than forecourt sales.

The local station to me Maxol in Sallynoggin which did E85 is now a blinking Topaz station with no E85

So now I got to trek to sandyford to get E85 fuel

The maxol in harolds cross is a small station and seeems to have decided not to do E85 or at least when I looked for E85 pup i couldnt find it

So ltes see if enogh swaps of stations are made and maxol gat lots of small stations where they wont supply E85 and Topaz gets all the big stations hwere they wont supply E85 where will you be able to buy E85???

and E85 will go the way of the DoDo thanks to some very clever gbuying ansd selling or rather swopping methods to kill of E85

The difference is most folk think a lot of things just happen but if you study the ability of the big coperations to make things happen the way the wnat to and still look like its nothing to do with them then you see the pattern and you have a half a chance to stop the process going the way they want

Fact are independence from oil imorts with home grown fuels is good for ROI

Facts enslavement of the ROI energy users to only one type fossil fuels is best for oil and gas companies (often the same ) so death of any and preferably all alternitives is manditory to gaining enslavement of the ROI

Now the mission if you wish to accept it is to device a stratergy that will ensure this series of events will happen by 2012 bearing in mind the oil companies are sitting on probably 1000 years of known supplies of oil ( they have the true data on reserves we don't )which they don't tell us plebs about
    Then they can get rid of all alternitives with cheap prices if they need tobut the preference is slowly and descretly with lots of little incremental moves like close down forecourts for maintinace or proerty developers or sell of outlets to non E85 suppliers and swop outlets out for unsuitable forecourts where its not suitable to sell E85 whatever

The LPG movement was killed off and the E85 will be killed off if enough people let the so called free market forces which wil be warped to suit decide the future fuels

So I think i would be very foolish to consider to invest ~E600 in a converton kit if there is such a severe risk to the supply of that fuel

Now if the the sellers of E85 kits would wake up and lobby to protect E85 fuel sources and the greens made eneogh noise that E85 fuel supplies must be supplied by at least 50% of the garage chains Topez Texeco the lot then pushing E85 will be a lot more likely to happen as there would be some commitment to the fuel type beyond just price
    Then we also need the comitment that ROI will make at least 80% of the ethanol in ROI and start ramping tax up on E5 and using that increased tax to pay for reducing tax on E25 or E85 fuels

Then we will start employing unemployed farmers and using land that is presently not used like Carlow region where sugar beet is gone
    We will help reduce our CO2 emmision and then pay less of a fine in exceeding our kyotoo agreements

If we allow the oil companies to have their way and kil off E85 we will yet again be enslaved to oil
    We will pick up a hefty bill from exceeding CO2 limits and we the tax payers and high tax petrol users will get a double whamy a hike in tax to pay for not planning a good future for E85

Derry

• Advertisement

that merger was allowed by accident

Cock-up on Statoil sale to Topaz by Authority

By Samantha McCaughren

Wednesday October 11 2006
    A MIX-UP at the Competition Authority has resulted in the unconditional sale of Statoil to Topaz Oil going ahead without any ruling from the watchdog.

The Authority said last night that the deadline for the €285m deal passed this week without a determination being made. The Irish Independent has learned that this is due to a technicality, which resulted in the Authority missing out on making its decision by one day.

One of the country's largest motor fuel companies will be formed as a result of the sale. Statoil agreed to sell the business to a private consortium Topaz in June, and its backers include businessman Denis O'Brien and Galway property developer Gerry Barrett.

Topaz last year bought Shell Ireland's service station network for around €200m, and there had been some speculation that Shell or Statoil stations might have to be sold off to comply with competition law.

The competition watchdog recently extended the phase one of its investigation of the Statoil sale earlier this year, and was in talks with lawyers from Topaz regarding proposals relating to competition concerns.

This week the Competition Authority had to make a decision to either clear the deal with or without conditions, or opt for a more extensive Phase 2 probe.

It is understood that confusion about the deadline for the Phase 1 stage surrounded the 15-day extension to this part of the investigation.

A miscalculation of dates resulted in the Authority believing that they had to make a determination by October 10 (yesterday). However, this deadline was in fact October 9.

The lawyers representing Topaz are still discussing the merger with the Authority in a gesture of good faith, although no conditions will attach to the sale.

In a statement, the Competition Authority said last night: "The date on which the Phase 1 determination in this matter could have been made passed yesterday, October 9, without any determination having been made. As a result, the parties are now free to put the merger into effect.

"Topaz will enter into discussions with the Competition Authority concerning certain ancillary elements of its merged business."

The business being bought includes 69 retail service stations and the Shell business had 55 stations. Topaz was formed by Dublin venture capital boutique Ion Equity.

- Samantha McCaughren

VH wrote: »
    that merger was allowed by accident
    snip...
    Wednesday October 11 2006
    A MIX-UP at the Competition Authority has resulted in the unconditional sale of Statoil to Topaz Oil going ahead without any ruling from the watchdog.

The Authority said last night that the deadline for the €285m deal passed this week without a determination being made. The Irish Independent has learned that this is due to a technicality, which resulted in the Authority missing out on making its decision by one day.

Brown envelopes

E85 RIP

Derry

Can someone put this deluded soul out of his misery:rolleyes:

One single local franchiser decides to change franchise and that constitutes an entire chain being taken over?

Right so. You're clearly insane, sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn!

E85 wont go away as its cheaper to produce than Petrol. The plant is already in place and the tooling up costs have already been spent.

Maxol set the price of E85 in line with petrol also so it does not reflect the price it actually costs to produce booze from waste cheese bits.

E85 is great if you have a high powered petrol car with a turbo attached the reason for this is you can artificially raise the compression ratio. The goal with doing that is not efficiency or higher MPG its more power and torque. Ethanol blends were also once used as race fuel but now methanol is used more commonly used.

The issue with dual fuel vehicles is they are a fudge/compromise, petrol cant handle the compression ratios needed to get the best out of e85 (up to 19:1).

Another issue is the conversion kits currently in the market are piggy-back devices and they arnt that smart. All they do is ensure that 30pc more fuel is injected and they do not adjust the timing of the engine to take advantage of the higher octane rating of the fuel. (Saftey issues, cost issues and complexity issues).
    Manufacturers have the major advantages by being able to software update an ECU to convert a car to take the full advantage of the fuel at that compression ratio. They don't do this as for older vehicals as it wouldn't make economic sense or marketing sense either,

There is another option you could get your car re-mapped to run on E85 only. It is a better option in terms of efficiency but its expensive and im not even going to attempt to explain the long list of positives and negatives.

So to what you actually asked the cost benefit of a conversion. I don't honestly know. It is true that E85 requires 30% more fuel when driving at full chat. It can though be run that little bit leaner under part throttle conditions. So if you a lead footed driver you will negate any saving your going to make by converting.

So by now youll see the issues. Theres no clear cut answer and any saving you make will be very dependent on how you drive and the car you drive.

This Thread has started out to infer saving from E85

My knowelge is concurrent with yours about the need to have ~30% more E85 fuel to do the same work

I personaly have no expection that E85 will save me money when E85 cost E0.99 euro and petrol around dublin is costing average E1.25 euros

Now if petrol costs were like germany some E1.70 Euros a liter then E85 is a no brainer it cheaper buy alrge amount even with add on jit convertors

Presently with the costs of fuel as they are running a mix of ~ 25% E85 and ~75% E5 making a E 20 fuel mix my own car a NON FLEX FUEL car with NO ADD ON KITS returns similar MPG and saves some 10% in running costs

However as the Modern Myths out there infer to use any or some or all E85 on most NON FLEX CARS will break them will deter most persons mixxing fuels without a bona fida kit ( which as JimmyCrackCorn! say above is a fudge job wont break the engine but doesnt solve the all the issues )

However the issues of the benifits from using E85 exceed the minor debates about economy of fuel

Ireland Imports 92% of its fuel from somewhere else
    We live in unstable world where most of that fuel is is somewhere not good like middle east and Russia all of which could explode into war or fuel embargos whatever

Then when it comes to dividing out the remaining fuel we in Ireland can expect sqaut nada nothing as the bigger countries in EU which control the pipe line will ensure they get rump of this fuel and we will be lucky to get anything

Then if you have been clever eneogh to have tested your car for suitabilty for E85 or fitted some suitable kit then you can at least have access to another fuel

But if every car in Ireland could use E85 and there was a suffient supply to drive all cars in Irealnd and the money remained in Ireland and the economy was less affected from a oil embargo the results would not suit the oil companies when oil would come back on stream

Brazil a so called backward country ran the oil companies in 1979 after getting thier faces ripped and by 1989 were able to tell the oil companies to get lost they were not needed surplus to requirement s

If you think oil companies are going to let pip squek little Ireland dictate terms to them then expect a serious responce and big guns rolled out to shoot E85 dead before it gets a grip on big sectro of the market

Funny the Maxol station in Sandyford had run out of E85 today when a friend of mine went to get it and they said next delivery will be wensday

So has two customers me and my friend used the whole stock of it or is the next trick delay deliveries and annoy the users the next trick

When or if the big guns decide to kill E85 the chances for it to continue are very slim as WE IN ROI DONT SEEM TO HAVE OR EVEN WANT TO HAVE THE ABILTY OF THE BRAZILIANS TO DICTAE TERM TO THE OIL COMPANIES

Derry

Do you think the oil companies give two ****es what fuel retailers do here considering they're leaving this country in their droves?

Statoil, Royal Dutch Shell, ConocoPhilips, BP (twice, as BP and BurmahCastrol) have all closed their retail operations here in the past decade. I'd suspect Chevron (Texaco) might be on their way out too with prime sites closed recently.

We're customers. TINY customers. If 10% of people here moved to E85 they'd not even noticed it.

Do you think the oil companies give two ****es what fuel retailers do here considering they're leaving this country in their droves?

Statoil, Royal Dutch Shell, ConocoPhilips, BP (twice, as BP and BurmahCastrol) have all closed their retail operations here in the past decade. I'd suspect Chevron (Texaco) might be on their way out too with prime sites closed recently.

We're customers. TINY customers. If 10% of people here moved to E85 they'd not even noticed it.
    it would be very cool if we all switched to E85 and the E bit was all produced here

my understanding behind the 15% petrol is to render it poisonous and that is the only reason its not E100

No, theres definately another reaon to use E85 over E100 - the ethanol in E85 is denatured to make it undrinkable long before the 15% petrol is added.

However, its been such a long time since I did chemistry in school I can't remember what precisely it is... think it may have to do with fire suppresion or similar.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn!

However as the Modern Myths out there infer to use any or some or all E85 on most NON FLEX CARS will break them will deter most persons mixxing fuels without a bona fida kit ( which as JimmyCrackCorn! say above is a fudge job wont break the engine but doesnt solve the all the issues )

Not quite true. Unless you know exactly what your doing do not do this to a turbo car as they are very sensitive to fueling and if you make a mistake you will turn it into scrap (it has happened).

Im not saying it cant be done im just saying its really not a good idea.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement