Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

23-05-2008, 14:09   #16
granturismo

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOfMars View Post
The oasis is beside the Warick hotel not, opposite O'Connors pub?? (unless you've been drinking heavily of course)
Possibly .

O'Connors used to own a place almost behind the Hibernian building. It was a hotel and nightclub (possibly CJs).

As you walked (as I walked/stumbled) from the old cinema down to the prom, my recollection is The Oasis (with palm tree murals outside and ever so friendly bouncers) was on the right, as was the Warwick, this venue owned by one of the O'Connors was on the left. The Castle was durther down on the left and Setantas on the right down towards the prom.

This was 1988/1992, and I seem to remember that the Oasis looking derelict a few years ago so there is probably something different on the site now.
Advertisement
23-05-2008, 14:15   #17
kayos

Quote:
Originally Posted by granturismo View Post

the Hibernian building
Would that not have been better know as the Celtic International building? Or the Friends First Building? Hibernian where there for a short time in comparison before they moved up to Knocknacarra.
23-05-2008, 14:19   #18
OneOfMars

Quote:
Possibly .

O'Connors used to own a place almost behind the Hibernian building. It was a hotel and nightclub (possibly CJs).

As you walked (as I walked/stumbled) from the old cinema down to the prom, my recollection is The Oasis (with palm tree murals outside and ever so friendly bouncers) was on the right, as was the Warwick, this venue owned by one of the O'Connors was on the left. The Castle was durther down on the left and Setantas on the right down towards the prom.

This was 1988/1992, and I seem to remember that the Oasis looking derelict a few years ago so there is probably something different on the site now.
My bad, confusing the past with the present! How come Google hav'nt introduced Google Temporal (kinda like google maps but a second slider for back in time!) Oasis is the same building, just not used for anything. Think it was a strip club, then some lads tried to rekindle it as a club but people were not really ready for a salthill revival.
23-05-2008, 14:30   #19
renmorescout

Take it from me,, If ye ever visited the Bournmount, the experience would be forever burned into your memory! There was a strange loophole, that a club had to serve food, to qualify for a late bar license, hence... The beef stew!!!!
23-05-2008, 14:46   #20
kayos

Quote:
Originally Posted by renmorescout View Post
Take it from me,, If ye ever visited the Bournmount, the experience would be forever burned into your memory! There was a strange loophole, that a club had to serve food, to qualify for a late bar license, hence... The beef stew!!!!
Ah yes I remember one weekend, not sure was it a groove weekend or a budthud where all the clubs where forced to stop the music, turn on the lights and serve "food"..... it was more a law than a loophole
Advertisement
23-05-2008, 15:04   #21
granturismo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayos View Post
Would that not have been better know as the Celtic International building? Or the Friends First Building? Hibernian where there for a short time in comparison before they moved up to Knocknacarra.
Yes, your right. I thought Hibernian took over the first company there and just put in the first name that came to mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOfMars View Post
My bad, confusing the past with the present! ...Think it was a strip club, then some lads tried to rekindle it as a club but people were not really ready for a salthill revival.
I remember talk of a strip club. Reminds me of the time in the Oasis when a very kind person offered me the services of his girlfriend for 20 minutes outside. I declined,thinking that getting robbed and the crap beaten out of me wasnt how I wanted to finish the night.

Salthill revival is probably best left alone (at least for old fogies like me) a bit like Bosco, was great at the time but wouldnt want to sit through it now.
23-05-2008, 15:08   #22
kayos

Quote:
Yes, your right. I thought Hibernian took over the first company there and just put in the first name that came to mind.
Well your kinda right, friends first bought celtic internationals book and hib then bought the book off friends first. Well thats the timeline I recall. Spent plenty of time in the server room, ok room with servers in it, down through the years.
23-05-2008, 15:16   #23
Sponge Bob
Banned

Quote:
Possibly .

The Beach Hotel . Some financial services thing in there across from the College ( was celtic international)
23-05-2008, 15:27   #24
SimpleSam06

Quote:
Originally Posted by microgirl View Post
Naked on a Friday was best club I've been to bar none, before or since,
DJ Des is still doing the rounds, I last caught up with him in Bar 903 one of the nights. Legend. I don't know if hes doing any clubs though.
Advertisement
23-05-2008, 17:11   #25
Fey!

Send a message via MSN to Fey! Send a message via Yahoo to Fey! Send a message via Skype™ to Fey!
I used to love Setanta, and I came across an old Oasis membership card recently that belonged to my brother, but which I used to use.

I worked a couple of nights in the revived Oasis, but unfortunately it didn't work out (I didn't think it was anything like the original). It had been Angels for a while (La Paradise on Dominic Street now), but is now once again on the road to ruin.

The Castle had so many different clubs running in it, and wasn't it CJs where the bouncers wore t-shirts saying "Please Don't Fight"???
23-05-2008, 17:20   #26
soundbyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fey! View Post
wasn't it CJs where the bouncers wore t-shirts saying "Please Don't Fight"???
Yep ... also you may remember Cats (one of the many incarnations of the Oslo/Asylum/Setanta/Legends/Bogarts/Fast Eddy's) bouncers had T-shirts with 'Pussy Patrol' on them!

Now, what the hell was the interim name of the Oasis, before it became Angels and then the Oasis again. It was when it went ****e, around the same time of the Baywatch/CJs identity change. (Oasis was only good when Eileen and that mad oul lad Brian (also of the Lisheen) were there).

Promenade was defo Ocean's Eleven (the back entrance) at one stage.

Ahh the memories are flowing back ....
23-05-2008, 17:51   #27
DeadSkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundbyte View Post
Now, what the hell was the interim name of the Oasis, before it became Angels and then the Oasis again. It was when it went ****e, around the same time of the Baywatch/CJs identity change. (Oasis was only good when Eileen and that mad oul lad Brian (also of the Lisheen) were there).
Was it called Liquid in between that period or was that later?

Ah I remember the chippy, think it was called the Wimpy[where Supermacs is now] the queues for that place. I remember walking everywhere too, taxi me ar$e, need that money form me naggin'
23-05-2008, 18:00   #28
stevecrow74

Quote:
yeah it was called Liquid at that period of time.. its also where Gugai started off with live bands then followed by gugai dj'ing, its laso where 'Naked' moved to after the closure of Vagabonds (after doing a stint in the GPO) then after Liquid moved to top level in cuba..

there has never been a club better than Vagabonds (shed's a tear at every mention of the name)
23-05-2008, 18:03   #29
Sherifu

Quote:
Yep ... also you may remember Cats (one of the many incarnations of the Oslo/Asylum/Setanta/Legends/Bogarts/Fast Eddy's) bouncers had T-shirts with 'Pussy Patrol' on them!
Bogarts was fun.
23-05-2008, 18:11   #30
OneOfMars

Just Remember "Nostalgia's not what it used to be."
Thread Closed