Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Italy tackles Roma Gypsies.

• 20-05-2008 9:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7402602.stm

Great news, a country showing some balls and not afraid to offend. People with no intention of ever working/contributing, who are able bodied, but are focussed solely on crime and inflicting misery, should not receive well wishes.

But I must wonder, what is it like to be a non-gypsy Romanian, in Romania?

Roll on the do-gooders. . . . . (pavee point) or whatever they are called.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,493 ✭✭✭✭Victor

So the mafia* burning people out of their homes, while the police stand idly by is to be applauded now?

* Its not the mafia, its some local equivalent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

The link
    Italian police swoop on migrants
    Italian policeman at Roma squatter camp in Naples (file pic)
    Tensions are high in Naples over Roma camps

Police in Italy have arrested hundreds of suspected illegal immigrants in raids across the country.

Expulsion orders were issued for several dozen of those detained. More than 100 Italians were also arrested.

One raid was on a makeshift camp housing Roma (Gypsies), on the edge of Rome. Italian concern about immigrant crime has tended to focus on the Roma.

Earlier this week, Roma families in Naples fled after angry locals set fire to their squatter homes.

The police crackdown was part of a week-long operation in Rome, Naples and northern Italy.

It is an apparent sign of the change of policy promised by the new right-wing government of Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi.

Interior Minister, Roberto Maroni, who belongs to the anti-immigrant Northern League, is set to hold talks with his counterpart from Romania, which has complained about discrimination against its citizens in Italy.

Immigrants from Romania, but also Albania, Greece, China and Morocco, were among those arrested, Italy's La Repubblica news website reported.

Romanian police assisted in the raids.

The Roma community is perceived as responsible for a disproportionate level of crime in Italy, says the BBC's Christian Fraser.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

I can't say I have any sympathy for these people. They contribute absolutely zero to society. They also steal our roundabouts. They come over here for what purpose exactly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Victor wrote: »
    So the mafia* burning people out of their homes, while the police stand idly by is to be applauded now?

* Its not the mafia, its some local equivalent
    Pretty much how I read it. Vigilante rule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Maximilian wrote: »
    I can't say I have any sympathy for these people. They contribute absolutely zero to society.
    The roma gypsies have no work ethic, they simply don't. want. to. work.
    I know this is a generalisation, but I've never seen a roma gypsy working at anything. I've seen them selling fake gold rings on the street, begging at ATMs, robbing bikes from a house, robbing plants from inside a window, begging al lover the place, pretending they were blind and deaf, using their children as begging aids, and more.

I applaud any action which disperses them from their burrowing into the framework of a modern society which is too PC for any of its institutions to step up to the plate and take action.

• Advertisement
  • Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

FuzzyLogic wrote: »
    The roma gypsies have no work ethic, they simply don't. want. to. work.
    I know this is a generalisation, but I've never seen a roma gypsy working at anything. I've seen them selling fake gold rings on the street, begging at ATMs, robbing bikes from a house, robbing plants from inside a window, begging al lover the place, pretending they were blind and deaf, using their children as begging aids, and more.

I applaud any action which disperses them from their burrowing into the framework of a modern society which is too PC for any of its institutions to step up to the plate and take action.

Or a new one I saw recently - pretending to be homeless. That really pissed me off because the way I see it, he was stealing from genuinely desperate people who actually are homeless and don't have a nice cosy roundabout to go home to at night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭hairymolly

Maximilian wrote: »
    I can't say I have any sympathy for these people. They contribute absolutely zero to society. They also steal our roundabouts. They come over here for what purpose exactly?

+1. Not just that they curse you in their own lingo:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

Yes everyone should conform to our way of thinking. Gas them all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

And before any bleeding heart liberal idiot chimes in with "stop generalising, they aren't all like that", get some examples of Roma NOT acting like this please.

Because all I can see around me is sponging by them. And other undesireable traits.

This is what they are like. This is what they do.

Show me a Roma who has come to this country and contributed in a meaningful way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Show me a post-celtic-tiger cub who doesn't sh1t all over town on a Saturday night when out drinking with their kin, dropping rubbish everywhere, running around like petulant little children with no regard for common decency.

Yes, gas them all.

• Advertisement

DesF wrote: »
    And before any bleeding heart liberal idiot chimes in with "stop generalising, they aren't all like that", get some examples of Roma NOT acting like this please.

Well first of all...eh no they are not all like that. I know several that live near where i live and 1 is a champion boxer who runs a youth club the other is a gymnast who trains kids and 2 who also work with disadvantaged youth. Ah racism is great isn't it?

It isn't racism tbh.

It isn't racism tbh.

Well it is tbh. You generalised saying you wanted eveidence that not all of them were like that and i gave it to you so.... what is your definition of racism then? And you seem to have missed the examples i gave you up there too.....

If our government don't do something about the problem, I can see the rise of a proper right-wing party in Ireland in the next few years.

togster wrote: »
    Well it is tbh. You generalised saying you wanted eveidence that not all of them were like that and i gave it to you so.... what is your definition of racism then? And you seem to have missed the examples i gave you up there too.....
    They aren't a different race.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Ah, After Hours, where being liberal is a bad thing and Roma bashing is a competative sport.

Waits for I'm not racist BUT...

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭daisy123

Well first of all...eh no they are not all like that. I know several that live near where i live and 1 is a champion boxer who runs a youth club the other is a gymnast who trains kids and 2 who also work with disadvantaged youth. Ah racism is great isn't it?

Are they Roma or Romanians?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

but I've never seen a roma gypsy working at anything.
    I've seen them selling fake gold rings on the street

Is selling items now not working?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

po0k wrote: »
    Show me a post-celtic-tiger cub who doesn't sh1t all over town on a Saturday night when out drinking with their kin, dropping rubbish everywhere, running around like petulant little children with no regard for common decency.

Yes, gas them all.
    Sorry, but... nonsense. People's concerns about the criminal elements among Roma communities are valid, not mindless racism. Some of those posting here are the more intelligent members of Boards - the idiot brigade actually haven't got a whiff of this thread yet.
    I agree it's not fair to assume every single member of the Roma community is a criminal, I also hope the Italian police reprimanded those who burnt down the Roma dwellings (I can see how people could get angry enough to be driven to such extremes - not saying it's right but I can understand why it would happen)... but throwing the "r" word around, accusing reasonable people here (e.g. Fuzzylogic, Maximilian) of having nazi mind-sets (the "gas them all") comment and being really bleeding heart about it, well that just reminds me of the way right-wing bigots carry on.
    Also po0k, your Celtic cub analogy is completely irrelevant. Nobody is arguing for a second that those idiots aren't a waste of space but at least they're not orchestrating criminal operations into the bargain and coming into this country to take advantage of the benefits, when there are so many deserving asylum seekers who get lumped in with them.

Bleeding hearts, answer this.

Should Ireland allow every Tom, Dick and Harry from all corners of the globe into the country, and then allow them to live in the filth and frankly animal conditions that existed on the M50 Roundabout?

• Advertisement

They aren't a different race.

Again you missed my examples but sure...tunnel vision. As for the race issue.. depends on your definition of race but the roma gypsies are originally from northern india and travelled through europe. Do you consider people from India as a different race of people?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

i dont mind immigrants once they are willing to work and abide by the rules. But in portlaoise there are Roma's begging on the streets everyday and evry court day the are outside the courthouse for whatever they are doing for breaking the law. Also the have free housing and are constatnly on their mobiles. i cant understand the need to beg when they can afford such luxaries as credit for mobiles etc. its ridiculous!

Ok, so those 4 can stay. The rest can gtfo. I mean, no excuse for being unreasonable here.

Should Ireland allow every Tom, Dick and Harry from all corners of the globe into the country, and then allow them to live in the filth and frankly animal conditions that existed on the M50 Roundabout?

Well you won't accept the answers anyway because when you are given evidence to contradict what you have been spouting it goes over your head.

It isn't racism tbh.

TBH, it is basically.

I've never met a nice German, I have met two nasty ones. Should I assume they're all gits?

I know it's different.

There is a problem and it should be dealt with, but sweeping generalisations like "they're all evil" will just make both sides dig their heels in and not work on a solution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

No work permits should be given and must be abided by IMO.

We can all thatnk the nice referendum for this mess. Even though it was a NO vote the first time round. theres democracy for you......

Again you missed my examples but sure...
    I accept your examples.
    As for the race issue.. depends on your definition of race but the roma gypsies are originally from northern india and travelled through europe. Do you consider people from India as a different race of people?
    Everyone is equal in my eyes.

Race doesn't come into it. If these were pure stock aryan people coming and doing this, I'd say the same.
    stevoman wrote: »
    i dont mind immigrants once they are willing to work and abide by the rules.
    +1

The bleeding hearts want to see out country overrun by leeches, as far as I can tell.

stevoman wrote: »
    No work permits should be given and must be abided by IMO.

We can all thatnk the nice referendum for this mess. Even though it was a NO vote the first time round. theres democracy for you......

What the hell do they need work permits for?

Dudess wrote: »
    Sorry, but... nonsense. People's concerns about the criminal elements among Roma communities are valid, not mindless racism. Some of those posting here are the more intelligent members of Boards - the idiot brigade actually haven't got a whiff of this thread yet.
    I agree it's not fair to assume every single member of the Roma community is a criminal, I also hope the Italian police reprimanded those who burnt down the Roma dwellings (I can see how people could get angry enough to be driven to such extremes - not saying it's right but I can understand why it would happen)... but throwing the "r" word around, accusing reasonable people here (e.g. Fuzzylogic, Maximilian) of having nazi mind-sets (the "gas them all") comment and being really bleeding heart about it, well that just reminds me of the way right-wing bigots carry on.
    Also po0k, your Celtic cub analogy is completely irrelevant. Nobody is arguing for a second that those idiots aren't a waste of space but at least they're not orchestrating criminal operations into the bargain and coming into this country to take advantage of the benefits, when there are so many deserving asylum seekers who get lumped in with them.

All fair, but the "bleeding heart liberal" statement is emotive and the OP came out swinging with it. What response can be expected to that, and "all roma are gits" type statements?

Polarisation of opinion never gets anything done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

I agree it's not fair to assume every single member of the Roma community is a criminal, I also hope the Italian police reprimanded those who burnt down the Roma dwellings (I can see how people could get angry enough to be driven to such extremes - not saying it's right but I can understand why it would happen)... but throwing the "r" word around, accusing reasonable people here (e.g. Fuzzylogic, Maximillien) of having nazi mind-sets (the "gas them all") comment and being really bleeding heart about it, well that just reminds me of the way right-wing bigots carry on.

Elvis that's a load of racist drivel! ;)

I have to agree with you Dudess. It has become almost impossible to voice genuine concerns about something like this without being branded a racist. Add to that the fact that half the people you meet seem to think Roma=Romanian and any discussion on the issue will quickly descend into general minority bashing.

There was something about 100 Italians being arrested. Is that related to the original vigilante attack I wonder?

Also the fact that Begging was basically made legal recently, it gave these societal leeches a carte blanche.

Bleeding Hearts answer this.

Is it ok for these people to shove their young kids in the faces of passing pedestrians and motorists while begging?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Suzywuzy

I had an incident with two female Romanian's on Saturday morning on my way into town. I'm far from racist, with half of my closest friends being from Moldova, Africa, etc, but these two women really pissed me off. And I heard similar stories that evening from a friend. Not going to go into details but can't say I've had good experiences with them, particularly these two who were highly insulting and ignorant. Would have confronted them in the same way had they been Irish, French or whatever nationality !!! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

QFT! I've said it before and am happy to say it again. If you are being persecuted for no good reason, if you have skills or even a wish to gain some, if you are honest decent and reasonably hardworking, if you want to contribute to this society and better your and your families circumstances, then come in and cead mile failte (sp). If you want to rip people off and live off our welfare state and indulge in criminality, FCUK OFF! And don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out!

SDooM wrote: »
    Ah, After Hours, where being liberal is a bad thing
    Yeah, there is a certain bunch of idiots contingent who have that view but it's not unreasonable to be concerned about the anti-social behaviour endemic within Roma immigrant society. That's not being racist.
    daisy123 wrote: »
    Are they Roma or Romanians?
    Roma. And Romanians are sick sh1t of being confused with them.

Sorry, but... nonsense. People's concerns about the criminal elements among Roma communities are valid, not mindless racism.

Sorry but... i responded to a claim that ALL were like this. No group of people are without fault. It is racist to claim that ALL the members of a group of people are criminals. It is mindless racism because people don't take the time out to investigate what is happening. Roma gypsies are not the same as romanians. They originate from northern india and travelled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Ah sure, you Irish are all wife beating drunks anyway no? I can't remember when last I saw a sober Irishman on a Friday night...

Gotta love generalisations!

This being said, if any immigrant (or native for that matter!) could not be arsed to contribute, turf them out. Lets just have less of the generalisations as they simply weaken your argument.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

are you being serious? there's a difference between respecting someone's right to, for example, wear special religious clothing and respecting someone's right to lie, cheat and steal their way through life. i'm not saying that they all do that but to suggest that doing it is just another way of life that should be respected is ridiculous

if you're taking the piss then disregard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

I'm far from racist, with half of my closest friends being from Moldova, Africa, etc
    /pays SDooM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

Bloody PC gone mad i say.
    Drag em into the street and shoot them in the head.
    That ill learn em.

Sorry but... i responded to a claim that ALL were like this. No group of people are without fault. It is racist to claim that ALL the members of a group of people are criminals. It is mindless racism because people don't take the time out to investigate what is happening. Roma gypsies are not the same as romanians. They originate from northern india and travelled.
    I'm not mistaking Roma with Romanians, actually.

I know exactly what them animal-living people were on the M50.

I know exactly what kind of people lug babies around the streets with them are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

Suzywuzy wrote: »
    I had an incident with two female Romanian's on Saturday morning on my way into town. I'm far from racist, with half of my closest friends being from Moldova, Africa, etc, but these two women really pissed me off. And I heard similar stories that evening from a friend. Not going to go into details but can't say I've had good experiences with them, particularly these two who were highly insulting and ignorant. Would have confronted them in the same way had they been Irish, French or whatever nationality !!! :mad:

Or Roma? The distinction is quite important!

Suzywuzy wrote: »
    I had an incident with two female Romanian's
    Roma.

The bleeding hearts want to see out country overrun by leeches, as far as I can tell.

And the racists want us all to gas themm Am i right? I doubt it so top generalising. It makes it pointless to debate with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Thats a ridiculous assertation that only stands to undermine your point of view on this issue, which you haven't actually expressed(before posting that), which is notable in itself.

Likewise, I know this is obvious and tedious for the >85 IQ crowd on AH today, but bear with me.
    I've conveniently highlighted the relevant word in my post and the relevant word in your post. As you can see, I was talking about one specific sub group of people, not, as you suggest "everyone".

Have a nice day.

I'm not mistaking Roma with Romanians, actually.

But do you consider roma gypsies a race of people? You again failed to answer that!

And the racists want us all to gas themm Am i right? I doubt it so top generalising. It makes it pointless to debate with you.
    All you are doing is bandying around the racist tag.

Why shouldn't we deport them, why should we put up with the ones who are acting outside the law?

I was referring more to the "gas them all" comment you made to Fuzzylogic before DesF's comment about all Roma (which I disagreed with too) - I don't think Fuzzylogic is around to defend himself so I'm gonna say I think it's grossly unfair of you to imply he has a nazi-type mindset.

Yeah, there is a certain bunch of idiots contingent who have that view but it's not unreasonable to be concerned about the anti-social behaviour endemic within Roma immigrant society. That's not being racist.

Roma. And Romanians are sick sh1t of being confused with them.

Stating that no Roma is interested in integrating IS being racist though.

I don't think anyone is going to argue there is an issue here. I would like to be able to walk down O Connell Street without a begger latching onto my arm, just like everyone else (Thats O connell St in Dublin, Biko :))

My point is that saying something like that and statements like "bleeding heart liberals answer this" are approaching trolling and of course are going to get the far left eedjits (who are just as bad as far right, only tend to have less money :)) going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Having lived in Italy I absolutely despise those scum and I applaud the actions of the Neapolitans,it's about time they did some thing, but I don't see how they can kick them all out. Believe me, I wish they could but they breed like Rabbits and most of the kids are born in Italy so surely they have a right to stay?

But do you consider roma gypsies a race of people? You again failed to answer that!
    No, I don't.

You see, again, I see everyone as equal. Black, brown, yellow, red, pink, African, Asian, European, American.

But the people that act outside of the laws and just sponge of state benefits, beg with children and do not even attempt to find work or better themselves.

I look down on them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement