Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Statues in dublin windows...???

Options
  • 09-05-2008 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭

I don't know if this was brought up before, it was featured on today FM once.
    It's regarding the white statues of a woman that appear in many many houses and flats on the inner city.
    They often appear in every window of the house.

Here's an example.
    1853705.jpg

Here's the today fm report

http://www.todayfm.com/article.asp?id=373929

What the hell are these?
    Swinger ring?!:D:p:o:confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,115 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

There's a thread on this already...somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

Can't find natin.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I think it's a symbol for poor furniture taste...

I think it's probably the equivalent of the passover......

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭WEST

I noticed these before, about 6 or 7 houses have these on my way to work. Maybe they were going on sale in Aldi or something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

They are everywhere where I live, we always laugh at them, "Jesus Mary you statue is gooorgeous, real classy, think I'll get 5 for all my windows"

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Every house in Donnycarney has'm (ok slight exaggeration,only slight!). I was wandering around there (the Clan..part) about a year ago and thought I'd come across a Tracey Imen community installation piece.

Surely somebody on boards has one. Reveal the secret.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

theses are by far the tackiest load of ****e out there and it's not just a Dublin thing by any means!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,007 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

I think the ones people have painted themselves to give them character are soooooo much classier!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

They were really big about 2 years ago. It was just some chap selling them door to door and making them himself. Horrible things and its hilarious when they buy one for every window

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Very tacky.
    Much like those pillars (Roman pillars?) that people people put onto their council house.
    Come on, who are they kidding and what are they trying to prove?

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭texas star

I was wondering what the hell is the story with these statues too.Im in Finglas and just thought the knackers where selling them cheap.I didnt think they where all over Dublin,funny looking things.I must get a few for my widows LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

micmclo wrote: »
    Very tacky.
    Much like those pillars (Roman pillars?) that people people put onto their council house.
    Come on, who are they kidding and what are they trying to prove?

Took a photo of this monsterosity in Finglas south this evening, it has it all - AND MORE!..

Statues in every window, roman pillars and whatever 'da fook those coloured bricks are called!..

attachment.php?attachmentid=55856&stc=1&d=1210475802

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

Mairt wrote: »
    Took a photo of this monsterosity in Finglas south this evening, it has it all - AND MORE!..

Statues in every window, roman pillars and whatever 'da fook those coloured bricks are called!..

Oh yeah it's a temple man!!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Mairt...you've capped off what was already a quality weekend. Brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭shakin

free on the social i think....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Is that you who's been taking pictures of my gaf :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭donaghs

There's a house in Ringsend with about 3 of them, but the've added a touch of class by painting the Lady's shroud gold. I'll risk a camera photo the next time I'm passing.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Apparently it signifies a brothel. Urban myth or not who knows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

that paint/decoration shop down de end of talbot street sells them....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Sweet jesus that's an abomination.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

WindSock wrote: »
    Is that you who's been taking pictures of my gaf :eek:

and that's 'me gaff' Windsock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

donaghs wrote: »
    There's a house in Ringsend with about 3 of them, but the've added a touch of class by painting the Lady's shroud gold. I'll risk a camera photo the next time I'm passing.

Give me an address and I'll have photos up within a day.

Maybe we could have a 'Worse house in Dublin' photos thread!..

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Hot dog... we have a weener

dailqb1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭donaghs

I think it may been Strand St? It was somewhere in between the Running track near the park, and the boarded up pub where the road towards Sandymount splits in two.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭:|

Actually just noticed these the other day on the way into town, so weird!

I figured it might be a brothel too, dunno why. I've never heard of them before.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I noticed a few big head statues above the door of a few houses, but never noticed if they were the same or not.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

the around the corner from me would win hands down i dont think it has any of those status in the window though.

I always thought, those statues were some sort of wife swapping symbol "look my wife is naked waiting for your" type thing. dorset street and finglas seem to be covered in them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭DecentBee

Just noticed a house on our road with one of these in each window (on the front, at least). One of them is even draped in a little blue robe or something. Does anyone know where people buy these things? Was there some kind of special offer in Aldi or what?!

Advertisement