Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Nurses Quarters at UCHG Hospital

Options
  • 09-05-2008 10:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭

Probably one of the finest examples of art deco architecture in the whole of Ireland (well the west of ireland anyway!) and it looks run down and in bad repair. I know hospital funds have more immediate and important priorities right now but does does anyone know if there are plans to renovate it (maybe the city council can spare some dosh?) Even a lick of paint would improve it massively....just thought I'd mention it :pac:

For anyone wondering what i'm on about, its the building you can see to the immediate right of the grounds when you look at the front of the hospital from the Newcastle Road

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Mary Harny is gonna eat it any day now

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Why don't you put forward a proposal to the board of directors at UHG and volunteer your summer weekends to paint it yourself?
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

You would curry favour with the nurses.

OOoh Matron!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

They should start hosting stag parties on the side. Use the proceeds to renovate.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bass Cadet

snubbleste wrote: »
    Why don't you put forward a proposal to the board of directors at UHG and volunteer your summer weekends to paint it yourself?
    :D

As long as I could get digs with the hottest nurses in the building i'd do it fulltime!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Bass Cadet wrote: »
    finest examples of art deco architecture in the whole of Ireland

lol. doesn't say much for our country does it?

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bass Cadet

lol. doesn't say much for our country does it?

considering we were more or less a 3rd world country back when it was built and that nowadays they'd prefer to build prefabs, I suppose it says something...Do you know better examples around the town yourself?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

One of the college buildings on Earls Island, could be the Huston Film School now, has a distinct 1930s look to it
    Some houses on the Waterside have the look as well, the one where John Semple lived in.

Also the Tech on Fr. Griffin is probably the best example in town, and I can see Silke's shop on Dominick Street getting a preservation order to maintain its facade.

Is McDonaghs by the docks in the same style?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

Agree if the Nurses building got painted white with black window frames it would look amazing.
    You only have to look at the new building on the corner opposite to see how much more stylish art deco is, and the new building is not as bad as most new stuff in the city - and it also doesnt have any of that green s**t on it, did Galway get a job lot of that stuff!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Copper.
    It'll be torn down by the maitíns once they get big enough carts for their bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭hada

actually if you head into the canteen inside the building you can get the cheapest food going around that side of galway AND it's actually quite nice! living beside the hospital and a housemate of mine used to stop into it for a bit of grub on the way home in the morning after a night out.... if that doesn't out balance the lack of aesthetics of the building, then I'll be damned!

Advertisement