Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment - Stage 2 - The Interview

Options
  • 07-05-2008 7:45pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,662 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Post all Interview related material here such as Report Writing, Verbal Reasoning and the Fact to Face interview. Keep in mind that you may not post any details of the video that you see for the report writing exercise.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭LeSurfer

:cool:

first one to put up a post here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭onthebeat

Guys the new minister for justice is Dermot Aherne for anybody that is doing an interview and didnt hear.:cool:

onthebeat wrote: »
    Guys the new minister for justice is Dermot Aherne for anybody that is doing an interview and didnt hear.:cool:

thanks for that,when is your interview?

i am waiting to reapply, i failed the interview in february,unfortunately!!:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭soundlad

well lads. this thread been put into sections is much handier. just wondering does anyone know how long it takes to get feed back from public jobs if u request feedback from ur interview. i passed it and all but failed the medical so im back to the very beginning just waiting for them to call now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭ojewriej

Here you will find some usefull info about the interview, written by people who went throught it over the last two years. Hope it will help you.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055257415

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭quirkek2

Hi all, just a quick post to let ye know that I just got a letter this morning to say that I passed the interview so delighted about that! Only did it a week ago so that was pretty fast. I got asked about a recruitment freeze during the interview..not sure why but i just said that if they wern't hiring that I would just get another job and wait till they were hiring again provided i passed all the various stages.

If I can help anyone out wiht any questions etc on the interview just let me know.

quirkek2 wrote: »
    I got asked about a recruitment freeze during the interview..not sure why but i just said that if they wern't hiring that I would just get another job and wait till they were hiring again provided i passed all the various stages.

They asked me about this during my interview as well, back in December.

I don't think this means that there is a freeze planned, they are just looking to see if you are considering all your options and have any Plan B prepared.
    It's just a variation on "What will you do if you'll fail" question imo.

ojewriej: being as helpeful as ever! :D are you still waiting for that call? do you know what's holding you back?

and quirkek congruats again! hopefull i'll be joining you in the waiting room soon.:cool:

just keep on trying,one of lad from my local station applied 6 times!!!:eek: but im sure you'd pass it the next time :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭punchestown

If you fail at Stage 2 process, how do you go abouit receiving feedback?

Cheers

Cheers

The official version is that you have to write a letter to PAS, and request feedback. But I failed the report writing twice, and each time they sent me detailed feedback without me asking for it. I suppose it might be different with the interview part, but I don't really see why would it.

@ le surfer - I'm still waiting for my background check to clear, apparently it's just one agency left.

Cheers

you can request a report from PAS in writing.

Cheers for that.

Its not very clear in the letter whether failed the interview or the report writing/verbal.
    Will send a letter off to PAS.

Thanks lads

soundlad wrote: »
    well lads. this thread been put into sections is much handier. just wondering does anyone know how long it takes to get feed back from public jobs if u request feedback from ur interview. i passed it and all but failed the medical so im back to the very beginning just waiting for them to call now

Soundlad, write to mary keaveney and ask her for feedback, mine took 6 weeks to arrive so do it asap if you need it for the next drive:cool:

LeSurfer wrote: »
    just keep on trying,one of lad from my local station
    applied 6 times!!!:eek: but im sure you'd pass it the next time :D

Thanks le surfer, i intend to pass this time, i have a good bit of work to do, and i really have to change my scenarios fromt the last time.hope all goes okay for you:cool:

soundlad wrote: »

which part of it did you fail if you don't mind me asking? i have a big scar on my left foot,i injured it 11 years ago and received 9 stiches.its my bigges worry for med:(

onthebeat:no bother at all,i'd recommend you to do a prep course,that would definitely help. best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭soundlad

which part of it did you fail if you don't mind me asking? i have a big scar on my left foot,i injured it 11 years ago and received 9 stiches.its my bigges worry for med:(

onthebeat:no bother at all,i'd recommend you to do a prep course,that would definitely help. best of luck.

Failed on my weight. i wudnt worry about scars they asked wen did i have any scars which i did case i had operation on my foot 3 months be4 hand and the doctor didnt even look at it. each doc could be different thogh. they wil be calling very shortly its up on public jobs about it woo :D

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Sunkissed12

Hi there everyone,

I have to say that all of you are mighty in the support and advice that you give to each other and to anyone that comes on boards.ie and asks for it. I've read some of the posts and it has helped me a lot. So thanks guys and galls for that :)

I have my interview on Monday (12th) and to be honest I'm really stressing about it but the really stresser I feel will be the Report Writing Exercise !! I'm not very confident about it at all :confused: Could someone please help me and pm me with some help on this.

Thanks a mill,

SK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭kaizersoze1980

Hi there everyone,

I have to say that all of you are mighty in the support and advice that you give to each other and to anyone that comes on boards.ie and asks for it. I've read some of the posts and it has helped me a lot. So thanks guys and galls for that :)

I have my interview on Monday (12th) and to be honest I'm really stressing about it but the really stresser I feel will be the Report Writing Exercise !! I'm not very confident about it at all :confused: Could someone please help me and pm me with some help on this.

Thanks a mill,

SK

do you know the structure of the report that you should write?

One very good tip i can give you , is to ignore the telephone numbers the first time you hear them. concentrate on getting the address etc down fully cos they say the phone numbers twice, directly after the first time they say them.

there are example structures for report writing, including an example structure i posted in the big thread...have a read through the last 100 or so pages and you ll pick up some excellent advice

• Advertisement

do you know the structure of the report that you should write?

One very good tip i can give you , is to ignore the telephone numbers the first time you hear them. concentrate on getting the address etc down fully cos they say the phone numbers twice, directly after the first time they say them.

there are example structures for report writing, including an example structure i posted in the big thread...have a read through the last 100 or so pages and you ll pick up some excellent advice

Thanks for replying Kaizer, I'll remember your advice on Monday :). I'll be honest I don't know much about the report writing as this is my first time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭kaizersoze1980

Thanks for replying Kaizer, I'll remember your advice on Monday :). I'll be honest I don't know much about the report writing as this is my first time.

it was my first time too and i passed.
    thats no excuse :pac:
    read through the last 100 pages of the big thread and you ll pass the report writing no problem

My main advice for the report writing would be one I got on my preparation course: Focus on listening rather than watching, as all the important info will be told.

It's just an advice though, I know that some people here on boards don't agree with it.

Format should be something like that:

I arrived at the scene of an incident in Garda car No... with Garda .....

Describe the incident in one sentence. (or you can combine the last two)

Victim - Full name, address and number - his/her side of the story

Witness 1 - Full name, address and number - his/her side of the story

Witness 2 (if applicable) - Full name, address and number - his/her side of the story

Then any info supplied by the other guard.

Finish with "This concludes my report" and sign it.

Try to aim for 1 - 1.5 page.

This is what worked for me.

Ojewriej, fair play to ya & thanks for that. Its exactly what I needed to know :) Getting myself in a spin about Monday..but sure can only do my best ! Thanks again for your help.

kaizersoze1980 - Got your PM. Thanks for that and again all the best with whatever stage your at :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭quirkek2

ojewriej wrote: »
    My main advice for the report writing would be one I got on my preparation course: Focus on listening rather than watching, as all the important info will be told.

It's just an advice though, I know that some people here on boards don't agree with it.

Format should be something like that:

I arrived at the scene of an incident in Garda car No... with Garda .....

Describe the incident in one sentence. (or you can combine the last two)

Victim - Full name, address and number - his/her side of the story

Witness 1 - Full name, address and number - his/her side of the story

Witness 2 (if applicable) - Full name, address and number - his/her side of the story

Then any info supplied by the other guard.

Finish with "This concludes my report" and sign it.

Try to aim for 1 - 1.5 page.

This is what worked for me.
    Sunkissed dont stress about the report writing. Follow exactly what ojewriej says here....that's exactly what i did aswell and it worked for me too. its the structure they're looking for and the content aswell. I agree with the view that you should only look up at the screen from time to time ...you need to listen more than anything. I also did 1.5 pages. I didnt sign it but did structure it the way ojewriej says to.

Best of luck and make sure you know your stories and back up stories like the back of your hand for the verbal part of the interview! Very important!

Let us know how you do...

all the best

quirkek2 wrote: »
    Sunkissed dont stress about the report writing. Follow exactly what ojewriej says here....that's exactly what i did aswell and it worked for me too. its the structure they're looking for and the content aswell. I agree with the view that you should only look up at the screen from time to time ...you need to listen more than anything. I also did 1.5 pages. I didnt sign it but did structure it the way ojewriej says to.

Best of luck and make sure you know your stories and back up stories like the back of your hand for the verbal part of the interview! Very important!

Let us know how you do...

all the best

Quirke2 - thanks to you too for the advice. Like I said in my original post - you guys & galls on this thread are so helpful and supportive. This girl really appreciate's the help. Keep me updated on your progress too and I'll let you now mine. Best of luck with it.

lads doing my interview on wed the 14th,thinking of wearing something really comfortable for the writing excerise in the morning,like tracksuit and jersey,would that be too informal?i don't care what others might think but i fear i would get kicked out as the staff at the chapter house would see that very disrespectful. cheers

@sunkissed,i did 2 separate prep courses,both told me not to look at the screen,just write furiously. take all the names and addresses,descriptions etc. watch your spelling and grammar and you'll be grand,best of luck.

lads doing my interview on wed the 14th,thinking of wearing something really comfortable for the writing excerise in the morning,like tracksuit and jersey,would that be too informal?i don't care what others might think but i fear i would get kicked out as the staff at the chapter house would see that very disrespectful. cheers

You'll be grand. There was someone in tracksuit each time I did it. People working there are dressed pretty casual too.

• Advertisement

@sunkissed,i did 2 separate prep courses,both told me not to look at the screen,just write furiously. take all the names and addresses,descriptions etc. watch your spelling and grammar and you'll be grand,best of luck.

I would stick with the suit regardless. Its your hand that takes the brunt of strain in the report writing exercise not your crotchal area from the trousers you are wearing. You are hoping to join an organisation where uniformity is key. Do you want to be the one who turns up on Parade on a Friday morning in t-shirt and shorts because you saw the sun shining in your window and thought it looked like too fine a day to be wearing uniform?? Wear the suit for the whole writing/interview part and forget about Batman style changes of clothing between parts.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement