Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment - Stage 1b - Form B

Options
  • 07-05-2008 7:43pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,662 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Just can't your head around Form B? Ask those in the know here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

Could someone PLEASE explain form B!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Celtic07

its about your family and relations there names address dob etc. its purpose is for the background checks!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

- your own personal details
    - your addresses - permanent and temporary incl college addresses
    - parents details
    - brothers / sisters and half-brothers / sisters details
    - immediate aunts & uncles details
    - details from spouse / partner (if applicable)
    - spouse / partners' brothers / sisters / aunts / uncles (if applicable)
    - your education and other qualifications
    - second-level educational cert received incl subjects and grades
    - your employment history for last 10years incl part-time
    - various others incl:
    ever resigned / dismissed? yes/no? yes-details incl employers details
    involved in Garda investigation? yes/no? yes-particulars
    charged with crime? yes/no? yes-particulars
    suffer from disability? yes/no? yes-particulars
    - spare time activities - details
    - general
    member of political party? yes/no? yes-full details
    ever applied before? yes-number and stage reached
    - references
    1 Garda
    1 Educational
    2 Personal who've known you for at least 5years

when you take it to the Garda Station ... they will stamp and date it and give the receipt to you as your reference / proof and they will fax a copy to Garda HQ

Hope that helps you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭soundlad

kerry4sam wrote: »
    - parents details
    - various others incl:
    - general
    - references
    1 Garda
    1 Educational

when you take it to the Garda Station ... they will stamp and date it and give the receipt to you as your reference / proof and they will fax a copy to Garda HQ

Does anyone find it stupid that you have to fill up form b before you get the results for stage 1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭ojewriej

soundlad wrote: »
    Does anyone find it stupid that you have to fill up form b before you get the results for stage 1

Thanks to that the whole process is faster. So yeah, it's annoying having to fill the form, even if you fail the apptitude test, but when you look at the big picture, it's not stupid at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 daisey

ojewriej wrote: »
    Thanks to that the whole process is faster. So yeah, it's annoying having to fill the form, even if you fail the apptitude test, but when you look at the big picture, it's not stupid at all.

hey ojewriej do you have to fill in that form before you sit the exam?

daisey wrote: »
    hey ojewriej do you have to fill in that form before you sit the exam?

I think you should bring it with you to the apptittude test, i might be wrong about it. Afair, they don't have a strict deadline for it, but sonner you send it, quicker you application will proceed.

Don't quote me on that, you are best off checking it for yourself on the PAS website, it's been a while since I've done it, so the details are hazy.

I think you should bring it with you to the apptittude test, i might be wrong about it. Afair, they don't have a strict deadline for it, but sonner you send it, quicker you application will proceed.

Don't quote me on that, you are best off checking it for yourself on the PAS website, it's been a while since I've done it, so the details are hazy.

ok thanks ojewriej;)

form b should not be completed unless you have been successful at stage 1 thats what PAS says

form b should not be completed unless you have been successful at stage 1 thats what PAS says

I'd go with what PAS says then. As I said, details are hazy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

- various others incl:
    - ever resigned / dismissed? yes/no? yes-details incl employers details
    - member of political party? yes/no? yes-full details
    - ever applied before? yes-number and stage reached
    - references
    1 Garda
    1 Educational

Ok, i have tonnes of questions, like how am i supposed to remember the addresses of the places i stayed when i was in college over 10 years ago? And do i include the address of where i lived in Germany (that one 1 do remember)
    As for job history, most people who have had more than one job have resigned from a job is it really important?
    Then we have previous applications, mine was in 1994 (i think) but i haven't a clue about a candidate number i'm not even sure what year it was :(

And finally, references, one Garda no problem
    One educational, again No Problem
    but regarding the Personal reference can i use a retired Garda Supt.?

Thanks in advance for any advice

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

- parents details
    - various others incl:
    - general
    - references
    1 Garda
    1 Educational

Thanks mate!:)

angelfire9 wrote: »
    Ok, i have tonnes of questions, like how am i supposed to remember the addresses of the places i stayed when i was in college over 10 years ago? And do i include the address of where i lived in Germany (that one 1 do remember)
    As for job history, most people who have had more than one job have resigned from a job is it really important?
    Then we have previous applications, mine was in 1994 (i think) but i haven't a clue about a candidate number i'm not even sure what year it was :(

And finally, references, one Garda no problem
    One educational, again No Problem
    but regarding the Personal reference can i use a retired Garda Supt.?

Thanks in advance for any advice

- College Addresses over 10years ago: Contact PAS to confirm but AFAIK if they only need employment for present back 10years anything over that you might get away with omitting.

- Job History: They ask for the details of the dismissal/resignation and your employers details to confirm ... it's to do with your character as a person whilst in their company ...

- Previous Application: Again as this is also over 10years contact PAS as they would have a file for previous candidates with their info/notes in it...if they don't have your candidate number, you should still say YES you did apply before and the stage you reached. You could include a note to say you don't remember your number and that you contacted PAS and they couldn't find it(if that's the case)

- References: Yes for personal a retired Super would be fine(i had one for mine in Feb last) but they have to be serving members for the Garda reference section

Yeah you only fill it out once you hear that you're successful at Stage1 but once you know what's involved you can start getting your notes in order so once that brown envelope arrives with the good news you'll have some of the work already done and you can hand it in soon after...

Some people from the last campaign didn't hand it in until after the interview...The sooner it's in, the sooner they start processing it after you get through Stage2 though

- College Addresses over 10years ago: Contact PAS to confirm but AFAIK if they only need employment for present back 10years anything over that you might get away with omitting.
    Good point, thanks, sometimes i can be totally brain dead!

Yeah you only fill it out once you hear that you're successful at Stage1 but once you know what's involved you can start getting your notes in order so once that brown envelope arrives with the good news you'll have some of the work already done and you can hand it in soon after...

Some people from the last campaign didn't hand it in until after the interview...The sooner it's in, the sooner they start processing it after you get through Stage2 though

cheers kerry :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭The Dude 87

-
    - references
    1 Garda
    1 Educational

Just wondering with regard to references do you have to get a written one from a garda you know or do they just have to sign the from for you?? (( I know a garda has to sign it at the end of the form but [EMAIL="i@m"]i'm[/EMAIL] asking regarding do you have to get a reference from one??))

Also do check with that garda how they know you??:confused:

Just wondering with regard to references do you have to get a written one from a garda you know or do they just have to sign the from for you?? (( I know a garda has to sign it at the end of the form but [EMAIL="i@m"]i'm[/EMAIL] asking regarding do you have to get a reference from one??))

Also do check with that garda how they know you??:confused:

With regards to the 1Garda Reference: You only have to put their name and station down .. they will be contacted/phoned when your FormB is being processed and asked questions like how do they know you; ever had any dealings with you; are you of sound character; etc? I'd imagine those questions would all come back as a positive seen as they would have given you permission to put their name down as a reference (providing they don't have any bad dealings with you in the mean-time :)i.e. )

With regards to the 1Garda Reference: You only have to put their name and station down .. they will be contacted/phoned when your FormB is being processed and asked questions like how do they know you; ever had any dealings with you; are you of sound character; etc? I'd imagine those questions would all come back as a positive seen as they would have given you permission to put their name down as a reference (providing they don't have any bad dealings with you in the mean-time :)i.e. )

Cheers kerry4sam. The reason why I'm asking is because i know a local sergent but I only know him through college. The problem is I'm not going to mention college (advised not to) because I left the course early and I was just wondering when they ring him and ask how he knows me out it will come!!!!:confused::confused:

So should I leave him out of it and just ask a garda not known to me to give me a reference???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭Paolo5

Basically if in doubt I would tell the truth. Otherwise may come back to bite you!

• Advertisement

Cheers kerry4sam. The reason why I'm asking is because i know a local sergent but I only know him through college. The problem is I'm not going to mention college (advised not to) because I left the course early and I was just wondering when they ring him and ask how he knows me out it will come!!!!:confused::confused:

So should I leave him out of it and just ask a garda not known to me to give me a reference???

okay well what i would do is to contact the sergeant in question and ask to meet with him ... have a chat, let him know that you were advised to omit college, ask his honest opinion, would he mind still giving you a reference anyways or would he think it would cause some conflict. I suppose it all stems down to:
    - are you including your time in the college course? If not, then how are you accounting for that time?
    - have you met him/would you know him/still in contact with him outside of your time in college

(i left my course aswell but included it throughout the entire process and in the interview said somthing along the lines of: it wasn't meant for me; i wanted to try something else instead; it was a phase in my life and I've moved on from there and outline what you have learned/experience gained etc since then) ...

okay well what i would do is to contact the sergeant in question and ask to meet with him ... have a chat, let him know that you were advised to omit college, ask his honest opinion, would he mind still giving you a reference anyways or would he think it would cause some conflict. I suppose it all stems down to:
    - are you including your time in the college course? If not, then how are you accounting for that time?
    - have you met him/would you know him/still in contact with him outside of your time in college

(i left my course aswell but included it throughout the entire process and in the interview said somthing along the lines of: it wasn't meant for me; i wanted to try something else instead; it was a phase in my life and I've moved on from there and outline what you have learned/experience gained etc since then) ...

Hi kerry4sam, yet again your advice is great!!:D well its like this the course was only part-time eg. 2 evenings a week. I was still employed in a full time job during the day so that accounts for that??? Well i wouldnt know him outside college but he was really helpful the last time around when I applied and he did say he would help me again if needed.

So I suppose I could say it to him and see what he says!! I dont think it would look to good asking a sergent to lie for me!!:o

What happens if you happen to have someone in your extended family who is "known to Gardai" surely that wouldn't stop you getting in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Dr_MaSoN

angelfire9 wrote: »
    What happens if you happen to have someone in your extended family who is "known to Gardai" surely that wouldn't stop you getting in?

No i dont think it would, i had that situation and discussed it with the super when i met him. Wasnt a problem and im starting in august.

Hi kerry4sam, yet again your advice is great!!:D well its like this the course was only part-time eg. 2 evenings a week. I was still employed in a full time job during the day so that accounts for that??? Well i wouldnt know him outside college but he was really helpful the last time around when I applied and he did say he would help me again if needed.

So I suppose I could say it to him and see what he says!! I dont think it would look to good asking a sergent to lie for me!!:o

Being honest with you i think you have a sergeant there would knows how committed you are in getting into Templemore and if i were you i would ask him again for his assistance. (My local Sergeant was more than helpful with me and has said the same to me and i will go back to him again for his assistance next time round )...

I think you are covered there with your couse with you working full-time but i would still mention it though ... To me it shows you wanted to broaden your interests and experience and tried the course but that course didnt suit you. Sur how bad is that?

I'd go ahead and ask him as i said he would know you and your persistance and not wanting to give up on a career in An Garda Siochana.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭goouch

soundlad wrote: »

Stage 1b - Form B - If you pass The Aptitude Test, you will fill in "FORM B" (Application Form - Garda Trainee) while you are waiting on your interview date. Feel free to ask for help, advice or guidance on all things FORM B related!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 dottie

- parents details
    - various others incl:
    - general
    - references
    1 Garda
    1 Educational

Do you have to list your first cousin? Have one in the US who is illegal and don't want to get him in trouble........:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Dr_MaSoN

no you only need first cousin's when starting in templemore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 dottie

Thanks a million - at least i don't have to worry about it for now:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭soundlad

Being honest with you i think you have a sergeant there would knows how committed you are in getting into Templemore and if i were you i would ask him again for his assistance. (My local Sergeant was more than helpful with me and has said the same to me and i will go back to him again for his assistance next time round )...

I think you are covered there with your couse with you working full-time but i would still mention it though ... To me it shows you wanted to broaden your interests and experience and tried the course but that course didnt suit you. Sur how bad is that?

I'd go ahead and ask him as i said he would know you and your persistance and not wanting to give up on a career in An Garda Siochana.

well guys . i'm in same boat as yous left college last year.just say u wanted to get life experience and get used to working with different people from different back grounds. only thing is who do you put down for college referee now ??

Advertisement