Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 broadband huawei 220, ubuntu

Options
  • 27-04-2008 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭

ok i installed ubuntu from http://wubi-installer.org/ my problem is how do i get my 3 broadband to work? i am a complete newbie to ubuntu and any of the searches i have done have left me confused,,when i open the desktop in ubuntu where do i go to see if it has detected the modem and what do i do next?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭limerick_woody

search some of the messages here - i set that modem up using fedora 7 and it worked fine. I think there are probably better ways of doing it now ( i used ppp and setup a connection script). I doubt that your modem is working by defualt. But maybe the new version of ubuntu has it. I have eircom bb now so i no longer use it.
    A quick google search gives

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=1774427

hope you get it sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sohappy

thanks limerick but im not pc literate and dont understand the jargon, probally best if i go back to xp, the reason i installed ubuntu was to see what it is like as i was thinking of buying an asus eee,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

Good luck with the link that limerik_woody gave you. Just to let you know if your not aware that network-manager 0.7 is out next month I believe. This *should* help you better as its written with 3G devices in mind. Keep an eye out for it as you will have to install it yourself. Getdeb.net should have it nicely packaged if you check there.

You can read about it here....
    http://blogs.gnome.org/dcbw/2007/10/15/networkmanager-07-is-the-new-chuck-norris/
    The config framework has been completely rewritten. It’s more flexible, better engineered, and quite a bit easier to understand. We’ll support GSM/GPRS/EDGE/UMTS/HDSPA/HSUPA and 1xRTT/EVDO-r0/EVDO-rA broadband cards via better PPP integration, which also means dialup and possibly ISDN/PPPoE/PPPoATM support too. Bluetooth DUN and PAN will be possible now too.

sohappy wrote: »
    thanks limerick but im not pc literate and dont understand the jargon, probally best if i go back to xp, the reason i installed ubuntu was to see what it is like as i was thinking of buying an asus eee,

Hate to think that your gonna leave it because you can't get your USB dongle to work. If you want I can probably help you out. My email address is shuggard at gmail dot com. If you want me to guide you through it via instant messaging you can add me. If I don't here from you, I'll assume you've gone back to XP.

Steve

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭jimmyjim11

have a look @ this web page http://www.linux.ie/articles/tutorials/threeirelandUSBmodem.php

i would suggest editing the wvdial config file and using wvdial to make the connection
    change to this

[Dialer Defaults]
    Phone = *99#
    Username = 3ireland
    Password = 3ireland
    Stupid Mode = 1
    Dial Command = ATDT

[Dialer hsdpa]
    Modem = /dev/ttyUSB0
    Baud = 460800
    Init2 = ATZ
    Init3 = ATE0 V1 &D2 &C1 S0=0 +IFC=2,2
    ISDN = 0
    Modem Type = Analog Modem
    Init5 = AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","3ireland.ie"

• Advertisement

thanks steve but as i have xp and ubuntu working on the one laptop i cant use messaging when i have ubuntu running, thanks anyway,

think jimmy missed the bit where i said i wasn't pc literate....lol

sohappy, assuming nothing goes wrong, you only have a couple of steps for it to work! Its well worth the five minutes trying.

Here are the steps. There is a lot to remember so I suggest saving it to a memory stick in windows and then when you load up in ubuntu you can copy and paste. Alternatively print it out... if anything is unclear post a message up here asking.

1. Open a terminal window. This can be done by clicking Applications in the top left, then accessories and finally terminal

2 In the terminal window, type sudo gedit /etc/resolv.conf Put in your password when it asks. This will open a window like notepad. In this window you should type

nameserver 208.67.222.222
    nameserver 172.30.140.69

3. Click save and close the window.

4. In a terminal window (either the one you already opened or a new one) type sudo gedit /etc/ppp/peers/provider (Again put in your password) In this window you should replace the text you see with.....

user "user"

connect "/usr/sbin/chat -v -f /etc/chatscripts/pap -T *99#"

# Serial device to which the modem is connected.
    /dev/ttyUSB0

# Speed of the serial line.

# Assumes that your IP address is allocated dynamically by the ISP.
    noipdefault
    # Try to get the name server addresses from the ISP.
    #usepeerdns
    # Use this connection as the default route.
    defaultroute

# Makes pppd "dial again" when the connection is lost.
    persist

# Do not ask the remote to authenticate.
    noauth

# pppd will detach from controlling terminal when connection is up
    updetach

# no compression - ppp is used only until the modem
    novj
    novjccomp
    nopcomp
    nodeflate

# put in a default gateway even if one was present before
    replacedefaultroute

# if connection has failed, redial in this number of seconds
    # don't use too low - 3 seems to drive modem crazy
    holdoff 5

5. In a terminal window type sudo gedit /etc/chatscripts/pap ( again it will ask for password) and replace any text with....

ABORT BUSY
    ABORT VOICE
    ABORT "NO CARRIER"
    ABORT "NO DIALTONE"
    ABORT "NO DIAL TONE"
    "" ATZ
    OK ATE0V1&D2&C1S0=0+IFC=2,2
    OK AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","3ireland.ie"
    OK ATDT*99#
    CONNECT ""

6. Attach your modem. In a terminal window type modprobe usbserial vendor=0x12d1 product=0x1003

What I have just written can be very off putting to someone who is new to linux. Its just unfortunate that there are no linux drivers for your modem. Fortunately you should never have to do anything like this again with ubuntu. Its all clicking with the mouse.

If you try the steps above and it works, post back and we can create an icon on the desktop that will start the modem on its own in future so you don't have to go near the terminal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭niallb

If it's the latest ubuntu you just installed, try this:

System -> Administration -> Network

Press the "Unlock" button on the applet, type in your password and press "Authenticate".

Select "Point to Point connection" and click on "Properties".

Click to "Enable" this connection, and select "GPRS/UMTS" from the "Connection Type" drop down menu.

As far as I know, the "Access Point Name" (APN) is 3ireland.ie, and
    you can leave the username and password blank. You may know more about those settings.

Move to the next tab, marked "Modem", and select the device file for your modem.
    This is the only awkward bit, and the device name will probably be /dev/ttyUSB0.
    It could also be /dev/usb/tts/0 but the other is more likely.
    You will probably have to type it into the box if it's not listed.

On the third tab "Options", you should check the boxes for default route and nameservers at least.
    Probably best to check all three.

To find out what the device name is, you can open a terminal (Applications -> Accessories -> Terminal).
    Unplug your modem, and plug it back in. Now type in the command dmesg and press enter.
    You should see some mention of it being detected, and some port names starting with /dev
    There may be three of these. The lowest numbered one is correct.

If you get stuck, post back here.

NiallB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

sohappy, assuming nothing goes wrong, you only have a couple of steps for it to work! Its well worth the five minutes trying.

Here are the steps. There is a lot to remember so I suggest saving it to a memory stick in windows and then when you load up in ubuntu you can copy and paste. Alternatively print it out... if anything is unclear post a message up here asking.

Thank you Stereo Steve, I followed your directions and I got connected!!!! I'm really amazed I managed to do it. I also used GnomePPP which is a sort of stand-in for the windows modem interface. If you're using Gnome PPP make the telephone number *99# and you got connected.

Thanks a million Stereo Steve, I'm finally browsing in Linux. wahaaay!!!!:):):):):)

thanks for all the input guys,

steve i got as far as step 3, when i try to click save a bar appears with the message,

could not save file /ect/resolv.conf unexpected error file not found

• Advertisement

ok, sounds like the file doesn't exist yet. So when you click save its reporting that it doesn't exist. It should be intelligent enough to create a file if if doesn't exist yet :rolleyes: Hopefully in a later release this is will be supported.

To solve this don't click save, instead click file and then save as. Save it as resolv.conf in the folder /etc.

Alternatively you could create the file before you edit it, this would be done by sudo touch /etc/resolv.conf

Thanks a million Stereo Steve, I'm finally browsing in Linux. wahaaay!!!!:):):):):)

It was jimmyjim11 that found the solution written by a guy called Mikhail Ramendik. I just made the instructions a little clearer for those new to the command line in linux!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

thanks for all the input guys,

steve i got as far as step 3, when i try to click save a bar appears with the message,

could not save file /ect/resolv.conf unexpected error file not found
    Is that a typo? :) Try /etc/resolv.conf

yep i made a typo error, ok i followed all stereo steve instructions but i still dont have a connection, any ideas?

yep i made a typo error, ok i followed all stereo steve instructions but i still dont have a connection, any ideas?

Did you remove the modem, plug it in again and type this in Terminal:

modprobe usbserial vendor=0x12d1 product=0x1003

Also, get Gnome-PPP if you don't already have it. You can use that to configure the settings. That's how I got connected. You can either get it off the Installation CD or download it onto a USB drive from another computer. Once you install it, you find it as a menu item

Applications/Internet/GnomePPP.

It was jimmyjim11 that found the solution written by a guy called Mikhail Ramendik. I just made the instructions a little clearer for those new to the command line in linux!

The fact that you made it clearer made a HUGE difference so well done to you!

did as An Fear Anin suggested still no joy, went back and checked all the text to make sure there was no more typo errors, also downloaded gnome-ppp on xp and extracted it using win rar to a usb stick when i rebooted using ubuntu i couldent open the file from the usb , it said it didden't recognise the file,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

did as An Fear Anin suggested still no joy, went back and checked all the text to make sure there was no more typo errors, also downloaded gnome-ppp on xp and extracted it using win rar to a usb stick when i rebooted using ubuntu i couldent open the file from the usb , it said it didden't recognise the file,
    What format is the file on the USB stick?

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭jimmyjim11

this is what works for me from version 7.10 on
    terminal type sudo gedit
    copy and paste

[Dialer Defaults]
    Phone = *99#
    Username = 3ireland
    Password = 3ireland
    Stupid Mode = 1
    Dial Command = ATDT

[Dialer hsdpa]
    Modem = /dev/ttyUSB0
    Baud = 460800
    Init2 = ATZ
    Init3 = ATE0 V1 &D2 &C1 S0=0 +IFC=2,2
    ISDN = 0
    Modem Type = Analog Modem
    Init5 = AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","3ireland.ie"

save file into etc/wvdial.conf

then open terminal and type wvdial hsdpa
    :)

some times it dose not connect:rolleyes::rolleyes:
    so close terminal un plug modem plug in again wait 10 sec and try again :)

also downloaded gnome-ppp on xp and extracted it using win rar to a usb stick when i rebooted using ubuntu i couldent open the file from the usb , it said it didden't recognise the file,

You should be able to get Gnome-PPP as a .deb file, which should open OK for you in Ubuntu.

You'll need to be able to open deb files.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭ravendude

I ran into a lot of problems setting up my huawei E270 also, when I upgraded to the latest version of NetworkManager, there was a vast improvement.
    See my blog entry....
    http://www.vividapp.com/cms/index.ph...d=57&Itemid=61

• Registered Users Posts: 7,272 ✭✭✭corkie

ravendude wrote: »
    I ran into a lot of problems setting up my huawei E270 also, when I upgraded to the latest version of NetworkManager, there was a vast improvement.
    See my blog entry....
    http://www.vividapp.com/cms/index.ph...d=57&Itemid=61

Just curious why your dragging up old posts? And replying to them?

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭ravendude

corkie wrote: »
    ...because it was largely these posts that I started out with when I started thinking about whether ubuntu would work with my 3g card.
    I very recently moved over to ubuntu from XP, and had been intending in doing so for a long time. The main thing that was holding me back was potential hassle with my 3G modem.
    The point being, if anyone is worried about moving to XP because of supporting their 3G card, - don't worry, it works great with the latest distro.

corkie wrote: »

It's helpful for others thinking of trying out Linux. makes sense to me. I often do this kind of thing myself, for the sake of completeness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

6. Attach your modem. In a terminal window type modprobe usbserial vendor=0x12d1 product=0x1003

When I do that I get the error

"FATAL: Module usbserial not found"

Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,272 ✭✭✭corkie

Ubuntu 9.04 RC with NM Applet 0.7.0.100 now supports more Midband modems!

Most of the instructions in this thread are way out of date! If your using a recent release of linux kernel with networkmanager you shouldn't need to take these steps.

But your vendor and product may not be the same as posted.

If you need more info on this modem follow the links on here to the wiki

Regards,
    J.

Advertisement