Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are english aristocratic landlords still here?

Options
  • 25-04-2008 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭

I was reading in some magazine at the weekend about the duke of devonshire still owning the harbour in youghal and owning the fishing rights for the river blackwater.
    I was surprised at this and was wondering if there are any other places/estates that are still owned by the english nobility in Ireland?

I thought the state took back all this land in 1921/22.
    I know there are a few anglo-irish that still have estates and castles e.g slane castle.

I have heard that a lot of buldings in central dublin are still owned by english landlords who leased them out in the 19th century for long leases? Is this true?

Also what is the status of lambay island, is it part of irish territory or not as it is owned by the barings family (of the barings bank fame)from england (who still live on it). Do they come under any juristiction?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Well AFAIK we're still paying ground rent for a lot of buildings in the city centre, including the GPO!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

Is this a troll? :confused:

Many foreign people own land in Ireland. Some happen to be English. Some of those happen to be aristocrats. So what?

Lambay is Irish land owned the same way as land owned by anyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Ekancone

His point was that this land was supposed to have been claimed by the state after independence and were and concessions made. No trolling, turn down your PC-o-meter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭McArmalite

Well AFAIK we're still paying ground rent for a lot of buildings in the city centre, including the GPO!
    I believe they secretly paid off some british parasite a number of years ago for the GPO.
    His point was that this land was supposed to have been claimed by the state after independence and were and concessions made. No trolling, turn down your PC-o-meter.
    Don't know why people insist on calling the treaty ' independence '. Huge tracts of land and property still remained under british landlords. Indeed with my regards to my own famliy's house and I presume all the other houses in the town, had to pay rent ( a small token amount once a year, but it had to be paid none the less ) to some dickhead in England whose great grandfather was Lord or Sir Sh!thead, right up into the 1990's - serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭man1

Yeah thats what I heard too. Any idea how long term these leases are? Obviously the would be 100's of different agreements.
    Can we barge in mugabe-like and take them back? Can't see it happening myself but you have to agree that it is a little unfair that these Nobs still own rights to land here. (when it wasn't theirs in the first place!!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Ekancone

McArmalite wrote: »
    I believe they secretly paid off some british parasite a number of years ago for the GPO.

Don't know why people insist on calling the treaty ' independence '. Huge tracts of land and property still remained under british landlords. Indeed with my regards to my own famliy's house and I presume all the other houses in the town, had to pay rent ( a small token amount once a year, but it had to be paid none the less ) to some dickhead in England whose great grandfather was Lord or Sir Sh!thead, right up into the 1990's - serious.

Thats really surprising. Although after the French revolution some of the emigrés held their land also.

europerson wrote: »
    Is this a troll? :confused:

Many foreign people own land in Ireland. Some happen to be English. Some of those happen to be aristocrats. So what?

Lambay is Irish land owned the same way as land owned by anyone else.

I am not a troll, perfectly valid question/discussion.:mad:

I know lots of land is owned by english in Ireland, one of my neighbours is english and there are lots of businesses run and owned by english companies as well as german, american, dutch etc but my point wasn't that.

And regarding Lambay what county council does it come under then and for example if there is a crime committed there which police station responds to it. I read somewhere that the irish government have no claims on this island. I also read that it wasn't english land either when they were here.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You need to distinguish between indepence as a state and property ownership.

Should the new state have confiscated all land in 1922? You are applying a racist double standard otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

How long does a family have to live n Ireland to be Irish?

If your great grandparents moved to Ireland and bought a farm, then eventually when it has been passed down to you 100 years later, what right has the state to take it off you?

Fast forward 80 years and the family still own that farm but rent it out to someone, are they "English" landlords?

I don't think the uestion is as black and white as the OP may think.

man1 wrote: »
    And regarding Lambay what county council does it come under then and for example if there is a crime committed there which police station responds to it. I read somewhere that the irish government have no claims on this island. I also read that it wasn't english land either when they were here.
    You could do with taking a look at Prof Gabriel Cooney's exceptionally comprehensive works on the archaeology and history of Lambay. I don't know what sort of sources you're reading this stuff in. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

There are many decendants of these ppl that still live here among us. Isnt Slaine castle owned by The Earl & Countess of Mount Charles

snyper wrote: »
    There are many decendants of these ppl that still live here among us. Isnt Slaine castle owned by The Earl & Countess of Mount Charles
    It's the seat of the Marquess Conyngham, but he doesn't live in Ireland any more. His son, the Earl of Mount Charles, and his family live in a nearby house, Beauparc. No one actually lives in the Castle at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Shutuplaura

If your great grandparents moved to Ireland and bought a farm, then eventually when it has been passed down to you 100 years later, what right has the state to take it off you?

Fast forward 80 years and the family still own that farm but rent it out to someone, are they "English" landlords?

I don't think the question is as black and white as the OP may think.

Perhaps it is Fred. Lord Lucan owned Westport and the townspeople have to pay ground rent. He's an English Aritocrat with Irish land. Lord Mountcharles, well, I think he lives in Ireland full tim so he'd be Irish in my book. Regarding westport, since Lucans disappearance they've been refusing to pay and proper order too. A park in Mallow I think, right in the centre of the town is also owned by an English lord with some titles in Ireland but doesn't live here. He sold it for redevelopment. The council couldn't stop him as far as I know. Not sure if the buyers will get planning permission for anything but it is zoned for recreational use so it can be built on/ The government buildings in Kildare street are still subject to ground rent. Its fairly minimal as it hasn't gone up with inflation but the government still pays it yerarly, something under a hundred quid I believe. Not sure if its to the Dukes of Leinster, some other Irish gentry or and English lord. Lismore Castle has bveen owned for generations by a family resident in the UK family resident in England, the Dukes of Devonshire.

Of course some of the landlords live in Ireland full or part time and may only own estatres here and not lease any of it out. Lord Donaghmore near Clonmel is sure an example I think. There is also Lord Waterford nearby who also farms his estate himself.

Its still around, somethines the family are Anglo-Irish, sometimes not. Its not really a big deal, apart from the case in Cork of some bloke with no ties to the area selling off town amenities. He may also be the bloke the OP is talking about regarding the fishing rights. That would be annoying for me if I were local and I don't think its anything to do with anti-englishness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 lightsinthebay

The Irish state never took over the land of Anglo-Irish gentry - shows how shockingly conservative Irish nationalism has often been. The things that seem to have impacted on the gentry were the encumbered estates act of 1849, which made it easier for creditors to take over indebted estates, and the various land acts after the land war, under which the British government gave low interest loans to tenant farmers to purchase properties. So the major change seems to have been before independence.

In the 1917 to 1923 period there were major farm labourers strikes in the midlands and south east, strike occupation of workplaces in Munster, and a campaign against graziers being carried on by small farmers in the West, I think perhaps any move against the gentry would have been seen as throwing the rights of property into question in general.

The IRA did burn down several hundred houses, many of which would have been of landlords, bit of a waste of resources in my book.

Worth bearing in mind also that not all of the C18 and C19 gentry were of English extraction - about 20% were Gaelic or Hiberno-Norman.

It is not racist or discriminatory at all - the descendants of thieves and exploiters should have no rights to their forefathers ill gotten gains - here, or in England http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enclosure or in Scotland http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highland_Clearances

Perhaps it is Fred. Lord Lucan owned Westport and the townspeople have to pay ground rent. He's an English Aritocrat with Irish land. Lord Mountcharles, well, I think he lives in Ireland full tim so he'd be Irish in my book. Regarding westport, since Lucans disappearance they've been refusing to pay and proper order too. A park in Mallow I think, right in the centre of the town is also owned by an English lord with some titles in Ireland but doesn't live here. He sold it for redevelopment. The council couldn't stop him as far as I know. Not sure if the buyers will get planning permission for anything but it is zoned for recreational use so it can be built on/ The government buildings in Kildare street are still subject to ground rent. Its fairly minimal as it hasn't gone up with inflation but the government still pays it yerarly, something under a hundred quid I believe. Not sure if its to the Dukes of Leinster, some other Irish gentry or and English lord. Lismore Castle has bveen owned for generations by a family resident in the UK family resident in England, the Dukes of Devonshire.

Of course some of the landlords live in Ireland full or part time and may only own estatres here and not lease any of it out. Lord Donaghmore near Clonmel is sure an example I think. There is also Lord Waterford nearby who also farms his estate himself.

Its still around, somethines the family are Anglo-Irish, sometimes not. Its not really a big deal, apart from the case in Cork of some bloke with no ties to the area selling off town amenities. He may also be the bloke the OP is talking about regarding the fishing rights. That would be annoying for me if I were local and I don't think its anything to do with anti-englishness.

actually, I think you have made my point for me. There are several "English Gentry" who live here and maintain the land, I see no difference between them and the descendants of people who came here as part of the plantations, their forebears were given land and 400 years later they have inherited it.

I don't think the uestion is as black and white as the OP may think.

No, they didn't " moved to Ireland and bought a farm ", they robbed it by mass murder and ethnic cleansing - as you very well know.

" Fast forward 80 years and the family still own that farm but rent it out to someone, are they "English" landlords? " No, some of them still insist on been 'british' or condensendingly 'Anglo OIrish'. Most of them speak with an accent that feigns to be a cross between an artisocractic English accent with a little of an Irish accent thrown in, they send their kids to expensive boarding schools and then probably onto university in Cambridge or Eton etc, they don't play Hurley or Football like the locals but Rugby, Cricket, Boating, Horse Jumping etc are their games and their not noted for singing rebel songs after a Celtic match down in the local pub or supporting nationalist causes like commerations of 1798, 1916 or etc.
    actually, I think you have made my point for me. There are several "English Gentry" who live here and maintain the land, I see no difference between them and the descendants of people who came here as part of the plantations, their forebears were given land and 400 years later they have inherited it.
    " I see no difference between them and the descendants of people who came here as part of the plantations, their forebears were given land and 400 years later they have inherited it. ". They didn't "come" here because their was just an empty space here devoid of people for them, Again :rolleyes: " they robbed it by mass murder and ethnic cleansing - as you very well know. "

Just out of interest did the british hand back all the land they "accquired during occupation" in India when they became independent? Or are there estates and land still belonging to lord this and lord that?
    I don't know the answer but I suspect that the indians got back their land.
    Anyone know about this?

No, they didn't " moved to Ireland and bought a farm ", they robbed it by mass murder and ethnic cleansing - as you very well know.

" Fast forward 80 years and the family still own that farm but rent it out to someone, are they "English" landlords? " No, some of them still insist on been 'british' or condensendingly 'Anglo OIrish'. Most of them speak with an accent that feigns to be a cross between an artisocractic English accent with a little of an Irish accent thrown in, they send their kids to expensive boarding schools and then probably onto university in Cambridge or Eton etc, they don't play Hurley or Football like the locals but Rugby, Cricket, Boating, Horse Jumping etc are their games and their not noted for singing rebel songs after a Celtic match down in the local pub or supporting nationalist causes like commerations of 1798, 1916 or etc.

" I see no difference between them and the descendants of people who came here as part of the plantations, their forebears were given land and 400 years later they have inherited it. ". They didn't "come" here because their was just an empty space here devoid of people for them, Again :rolleyes: " they robbed it by mass murder and ethnic cleansing - as you very well know. "

yeah, whatever.

400 years ago most land was taken by force, it's how it happened back then. isn't there a thred somewhere about the irish in argentina? I wonder how they go it?

what, out of curiosity, was offered to the Irish if they helped Charles defeat Cromwell? land in England by any chance? thin line, the Irish lost, if they hadn't things could have been very different, but that's what history is all about.

Personally I'd be more worried about the corruption and exploitation being carried out by the Irish landowners and developers rather than a few landlords from abroad that ended up with land by no fault of their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Perhaps it is Fred. Lord Lucan owned Westport and the townspeople have to pay ground rent. He's an English Aritocrat with Irish land. Lord Mountcharles, well, I think he lives in Ireland full tim so he'd be Irish in my book. Regarding westport, since Lucans disappearance they've been refusing to pay and proper order too.

It's Castlebar not Westport.
    Richard Bingham, the 7th Earl of Lucan owned extensive lands in Castlebar, and disappeared on the night of November 8, 1974.
    And technically he still owns parts of it since he has not been conclusively proven to be dead AFAIK.

If we go back far enough then our Celtic ancestors probably did the same.
    Then there were the Vikings, then the Normans.
    Then we get into the realms of Palestine and who were there first.

Also what about Irish settlers in USA, Canada, Australia, Argentina who were given land grants by various governments ?

BTW from you knowledge of history I would presume you probably know from what stock some of major leaders of the 1798 rebellion were.

Also I take it you won't be cheering for Munster in HC final in Cardiff since they will be playing a foreign sport invented by and propogated by the English public school system ;)

Some are English and reside in england, living little or none of the time in Ireland. others are Irish of English origin - Anglo-Irish. Maybe I made my point badly, I'd consider anyone born and resident in Ireland to be Irish, as would most people. Some landlords are Irish but some, eg The Duke of Devonshire who's family have owned Lismore castle for generations but never really lived there are English. I'd consider it fairly black and white myself. Either way, what amount of land is involved? Not much I'd say, perhaps the state shouldn't be paying ground rent for governement buildings but its a token amount so what of it. Interesting that there are still examples of it in Ireland though.

• Advertisement

man1 wrote: »
    Just out of interest did the british hand back all the land they "accquired during occupation" in India when they became independent? Or are there estates and land still belonging to lord this and lord that?
    I don't know the answer but I suspect that the indians got back their land.
    Anyone know about this?

I'm not sure but I don't think it was all that widespread. The British (yes Fred, Irish too) came to India as traders and administrators and were not as interested in farming India as exploiting commercial opportunities. A fairly large part of the Indian nobility was left in place and the British ruled by patronage rather than settling large numbers of themselves on the land. The only way the Indian population colud have been controlled by a small number of Europeans was by the active collaboration/involvement of a portion of the population. People from the UK who were interested in owning a plantation in some part of the empire would have looked to Malaya or southern Africa. Mugabe in Zimbabwe uses the remnants of this planer class as his whipping boys regularly. I work with one here who still calls it Rhodesia. Her family name is Irish by the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Kaiser_Sma

The whole business of historical reparations is a needlessly complicated root to go down, there are few places in the world where people are responsable for the crimes of their parents. But increasingly 'ancesteral crimes' and reparations for these are becoming more common. It frequently favours the most recent or publicly know history though. If anglo irish landowners are to be stripped of their property (mostly because they took advantage of a unfair system as opposed to 'massacre and genocide') then why not make reparations for the irish raids into western britain (taking slaves and valuables and murdering many innocents. Perhaps with inflation this could add up to millions) or the 'great conspiracy' of 367 where entire tracts of west and north britain where overran in a completly unprovoked attack from ireland in an alliance with other ironage nations. The cities that were sacked, the countless civillians that were murderd, raped and enslaved and the famines that followed relative to the population and infrastructure at the time would probably be greater then any single event inflicted apon the irish by the normans or the british empire (i could be wrong but you get the idea).
    Perhaps the cities of dublin, limerick, cork and wexford should make payments to the catholic church or monastic orders for the loss of life and capital incured by the norse raids launched from them onto monestries around the isles.
    It's foolish to think that people didn't profit from the negative actions of their distant ancesters. The modern people that profit, as long as they act within the law of the nation in which they live or operate are entitiled to their property.

yeah, whatever.

400 years ago most land was taken by force, it's how it happened back then. isn't there a thred somewhere about the irish in argentina? I wonder how they go it?

what, out of curiosity, was offered to the Irish if they helped Charles defeat Cromwell? land in England by any chance? thin line, the Irish lost, if they hadn't things could have been very different, but that's what history is all about.

Personally I'd be more worried about the corruption and exploitation being carried out by the Irish landowners and developers rather than a few landlords from abroad that ended up with land by no fault of their own.
    " yeah, whatever " Well what else could you expect from a mindset of the cancer of humanity ( imperial britian ).

As for the Irish in Argentina, America, Australia etc. Obviously they inhabited lands stolen from the native people, it doesn't make it legititmate that they were from Ireland, but most of them had no other choice but to flee to these countires for survival. In Audsralia's case many of them were forceably taken there. Generally the vast majority of immigration was a case of survival not imperialism, they were indeed victims in their own way, if you wish to blame the root of the problem, obviously the the extortion and genocidal actions of britain is to blame.

" what, out of curiosity, was offered to the Irish if they helped Charles defeat Cromwell? land in England by any chance? " Interesting. I don't doubt that the political oppurtunists of Ireland would/did collaborate with the crown, every society has it, Vichy France ,certain native American tribes and individuals who perpetrated massacres for beads, mirrors, shiny coins etc against their own people.

Personally I'm also unhappy about " the corruption and exploitation being carried out by the Irish landowners and developers ", but I'm also concerned about corruption and exploitation of " english aristocratic landlords " as the title ofthe thread asks.

BTW for the record, I m against the paracitical class of aristocratic landlords and not harmless English new age travellers living in an old cottage on a few acres of land raising goats, making cheese etc. Despite been thought of as eccentrics by the locals, they are in fact very good and decent people and more than welcome to own and farm land in any part of Ireland as far as I'm concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭howaya

- hi there - yes, we're still here, thanks. You'd be welcome up at the big house, you know. We've got the cricket superleague on the widescreen and there's ample jam and scones

jmayo wrote: »
    It's Castlebar not Westport.
    Richard Bingham, the 7th Earl of Lucan owned extensive lands in Castlebar, and disappeared on the night of November 8, 1974.
    And technically he still owns parts of it since he has not been conclusively proven to be dead AFAIK.

If we go back far enough then our Celtic ancestors probably did the same.
    Then there were the Vikings, then the Normans.
    Then we get into the realms of Palestine and who were there first.

Also what about Irish settlers in USA, Canada, Australia, Argentina who were given land grants by various governments ?

BTW from you knowledge of history I would presume you probably know from what stock some of major leaders of the 1798 rebellion were.

Also I take it you won't be cheering for Munster in HC final in Cardiff since they will be playing a foreign sport invented by and propogated by the English public school system ;)
    Well their's been a lot of subjects raised in this post, I understand the comparisions you are trying to make, but lets not get carried away on tangents about pre Celtic Ireland ,the Vikings, Palestine, Munster rugby etc

" If we go back far enough then our Celtic ancestors probably did the same. " Yes they probably did, it is conjecture that they may have peacefully assimilated with the pre Celtic people, but as you say they probably did. No human society or culture is without its blemish's, and probably the pre Celtic people did it to the pre, pre Celtic people and so on.

As for the Vikings etc, well I think you'd agree that the blood of these people has been well integrated into Irish society by now, (most of us I'd guess may have Viking blood in us ), they don't posscess stately homes, send their kids to college in Stockholm, Oslo etc to maintian a snobbish distance from the natives and likewise similiar to the 7th Earl of Lucan, technically own parts of land in this country. As I've stated, my own family were paying ground rents up to the 1990's so I hope you can see why I am more concerned with the the title of the thread than events which possibly may have happened thousands of years ago.

As for the Irish in Argentina, America, Australia etc. Obviously they inhabited lands stolen from the native people, it doesn't make it legititmate that they were from Ireland, but most of them had no other choice but to flee to these countires for survival. In Australia's case many of them were forceably taken there. Generally the vast majority of immigration was a case of survival not imperialism, they were indeed victims in their own way, if you wish to blame the root of the problem, obviously the the extortion and genocidal actions of britain and the landlord class are primarily to blame.

Well indeed I know the stock of many of the leaders of 1798, more credit is due to them for breaking away from the values of many of their ancestors.

As for Munster, since they seem to be followed by the almost every man in the street down south unlike the Ross Carroll O'Kelly types following the ladyboys ( Leinster :) ), the best of luck to Munster.

Kaiser_Sma wrote: »
    The whole business of historical reparations is a needlessly complicated root to go down, there are few places in the world where people are responsable for the crimes of their parents. But increasingly 'ancesteral crimes' and reparations for these are becoming more common. It frequently favours the most recent or publicly know history though. If anglo irish landowners are to be stripped of their property (mostly because they took advantage of a unfair system as opposed to 'massacre and genocide') then why not make reparations for the irish raids into western britain (taking slaves and valuables and murdering many innocents. Perhaps with inflation this could add up to millions) or the 'great conspiracy' of 367 where entire tracts of west and north britain where overran in a completly unprovoked attack from ireland in an alliance with other ironage nations. The cities that were sacked, the countless civillians that were murderd, raped and enslaved and the famines that followed relative to the population and infrastructure at the time would probably be greater then any single event inflicted apon the irish by the normans or the british empire (i could be wrong but you get the idea).
    Perhaps the cities of dublin, limerick, cork and wexford should make payments to the catholic church or monastic orders for the loss of life and capital incured by the norse raids launched from them onto monestries around the isles.
    It's foolish to think that people didn't profit from the negative actions of their distant ancesters. The modern people that profit, as long as they act within the law of the nation in which they live or operate are entitiled to their property.

I've been reading some of your ther postings on boards.ie to see what sort of a creature I am dealing with and I see you claim to be orginally from the west country of England. Well we've also had other unionists such as Pathfinder, jhalpin, Crobbyboy1798 claim to be born in England but raised in Ireland, from Carlow, riased in London but of Irish parents etc, claiming to be everything but what they are, unionists from the six counties. If anyone wants to give me odds on that he's another unionist from the six counties I'll take them ;).

I see on another discussion you describe yourself as a " Liberal Imperialist, although my views often verge on centrist and sometimes even right wing." Well now folks, brace yourself for the benign, benevolent, bearing the white man's burden version of the british Empire and how the ungrateful, begrudging Irish nationalist has it all completely wrong :rolleyes: As per one of his postings critising America " while the british empire used to bring stability and gaurentees to investors when it invaded, ". God help us, what british drivel are we in for ?? They just LOVE themselves don't they.

In typical unionist fashion he follows the exact same pattern as the other unionists and glosses over the atrocites inflicted on Ireland as " unfair system as opposed to 'massacre and genocide'" and then goes on to make all sorts of accusations against the Irish - " cities that were sacked, the countless civillians that were murderd, raped and enslaved and the famines that followed ". (Ooops, gotta go, but I will return. )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Kaiser_Sma

:eek: Didn't expect such an investigation.

Ok i've never been to the north (nor have i ever had the intention to go there), but i was born in england. My comment about liberal imperialism was a little out of character, and a bit of a while ago. Definently not as right wing as i thought i may have been at the time.
    Definetly not a unionist as far as northern ireland is concerned, but i'd prefer if scotland and wales didn't leave tbh.

The other things are kind of taken out of context as far as i can remember.

I do believe in judging history by it's own standards, and i do think it's alot more two sided then tradionalists would have you believe. I don't like the whole 'butchers apron' that certain nations are forced to wear historicly while others (who may not be entirely innocent) are not.

I'm not some kind of ireland hating anti-nationalist either, and i certainly don't think the sun shins out of the queens arse. Though i must say i do prefer walkers to taytos.

Oh and i'm pro europe

Also i may occasionally be guilty of posting on the assumption that nobody takes any notice of my user name :D.
    Damn now i'll have to be consistant.

I've been reading some of your ther postings on boards.ie to see what sort of a creature I am dealing with and I see you claim to be orginally from the west country of England. Well we've also had other unionists such as Pathfinder, jhalpin, Crobbyboy1798 claim to be born in England but raised in Ireland, from Carlow, riased in London but of Irish parents etc, claiming to be everything but what they are, unionists from the six counties. If anyone wants to give me odds on that he's another unionist from the six counties I'll take them ;).

I see on another discussion you describe yourself as a " Liberal Imperialist, although my views often verge on centrist and sometimes even right wing." Well now folks, brace yourself for the benign, benevolent, bearing the white man's burden version of the british Empire and how the ungrateful, begrudging Irish nationalist has it all completely wrong :rolleyes: As per one of his postings critising America " while the british empire used to bring stability and gaurentees to investors when it invaded, ". God help us, what british drivel are we in for ?? They just LOVE themselves don't they.

In typical unionist fashion he follows the exact same pattern as the other unionists and glosses over the atrocites inflicted on Ireland as " unfair system as opposed to 'massacre and genocide'" and then goes on to make all sorts of accusations against the Irish - " cities that were sacked, the countless civillians that were murderd, raped and enslaved and the famines that followed ". (Ooops, gotta go, but I will return. )

Perhaps you should play the ball and not the man eh? How much if you don't mind me asking were your family paying in groundrents? They are normally failrly nominal aren't they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭SlabMurphy

Kaiser_Sma wrote: »

You've made a lot of accusations there pal, care to back them up. Can you provide links, quotes, references by any chance ?? If not - withdraw them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭dresden8

SlabMurphy wrote: »
    You've made a lot of accusations there pal, care to back them up. Can you provide links, quotes, references by any chance ?? If not - withdraw them.

Withdraw them? Have you ever read any history? Do you really think Ireland was comely maidens dancing at the crossroads before perfidious Albion stuck it's nose in?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement