Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help from a chef

Options
  • 23-04-2008 12:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭

Are there any chefs here who have mastered microwave scrambled eggs?I've tried in vain to make them light and fluffy but no matter what they never come out right.I've read somewhere that fast microwave cooking disrupts the way proteins unwind as raw food becomes cooked making the raw egg rubbery. So I tried cooking on the lowest power setting for longer time and they're still not right.Any help would be gratefully received. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

I'm not a chef, but I'm usually successful with them. You need to add liquid (milk, water, or cream) to the eggs. I can't guide you on quantities, because I judge by eye. I cook in short bursts at 70% power, and take the eggs out and whisk them a little between bursts. It is important to stop before the eggs are fully cooked, because they continue to cook even when you have taken them out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

I'd say if you tried cooking them on a low setting and by stirring every minute or so to fluff them they might turn out better.

I don't mean to sound smart, but why don't you just make them in a saucepan?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I don't mean to sound smart, but why don't you just make them in a saucepan?
    I was going to say the same. I mean, doing them in the microwave isn't exactly going to save you much time, I'd have thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Do 'em in a non-stick pan to avert the post-scram saucepan-scrubbing pain in the bum.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

I don't possess a microwave so can't help there but a tip from a chef I heard was LOTS of butter - it stops the horrible pan scrubbing already mentioned and makes the egg taste YUM (though its not great for the waistline). Whisk all the time and take off the heat just before its done as it keeps cooking even while you're serving it up. Also don't put any seasoning into it until its cooked (something to do with salt breaking up the egg fibres).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Yep, lots of butter. I don't own a microwave either.
    Decent knob of butter into the pan. When it's melted add your eggs (dash of milk optional). When almost done, take it off the heat and stir in another knob of butter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Curvy Vixen

The OP might only have a microwave (i.e. at work or something?)

I would always say use a pot too but at work we have a microwave and I've perfected them in that.

I like mine soft and creamy and it was a little bit of trial and error but now I use two eggs in a cup, mixed really well together, add a drop of milk and one small pat of butter with some seasoning.

The trick as has been said is to use short sharp bursts of heat, and take it out and mix it really well in between doing it. You literally do it just for 10 seconds or so and then mix, another 10 seconds then mix, etc.

Take them out when they are kind of 3/4's done as they continue to cook for a couple of moments before being put on the plate.

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

stop the microwave every 20 seconds or so and mix them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭fourmations

dont use the microwave

crack the eggs into a cold pan with a knob of butter
    turn on medium heat, when they start to set, reduce heat to lowest
    keep strirring (like risotto) do not season until they are almost done
    add spoon of creme fraiche athe end (cheese is really good also but optional)

best scramblers you'll ever taste, (lifted from ramsay)

rgds

Advertisement