Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car dealer, looking for info

Options
  • 21-04-2008 10:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭

Hi all,

Has anyone here had any dealings with Damien Gilson, he owns Gilson motors on Barrow street. Has a garage full of cool cars. Trying to suss him out, he has all the talk. Any info would be much appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Treat all car dealers with caution, particularly those with cool cars and all the talk.

Imagen029.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭MSporty

Yeah thats what I was thinking, hes Glenda Gilsons brother aswell. He says he can sell my car and source me a car that im interested in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Chergar

MSporty wrote: »
    He says he can sell my car and source me a car that im interested in

What car are you interested in?

Chergar wrote: »
    What car are you interested in?

An E92 3 series BMW 325i coupe or an Audi 2.7 TDi, tough choice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Chergar

it is a tough choice,

I guess the option is, an audi A5 will come with alot more kit for your dollar than a 3 series will. but on your issue, I dont really see why you need help sourcing those two cars, they are everywhere. unless the car you have is proving tricky to sell? what is it?

• Advertisement

I have a 06 1.8TAudi A4, cant seem to shift it on carzone. Secondhand market isnt brilliant at the mo or so im told. Have it priced to sell and now my ad has expired aswell. Thought that this chap might be able to sell my car, he says he can find a buyer no problem

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

I work round the corner from him on Barrow Street, he does indeed have some very cool motors and certainly all the banter. Seemed sound enough to me (relatively), I looked at a few cars he had (530/M5/735) all of which were nice - he actually preps cars properly for sale which I think is unusual for Ireland.

He doesn't have any mechanics from what I gather, just a lad who valets everything full time, but from talking to him he just sends the cars that need jobs doing to the relevant dealer, eg. Murphy & Gunn for BMW. He does good prices for straight deals, but as Chergar says, I don't know why you'd need help sourcing an E92 or A5, there are loads about, unless he's promised an amazing trade-in or price. He definitely still has that amazing Gt2, does he still have that Black E92 M3 :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭bf

Was interested in a 7 series he had and enquired by email and phoen and got no reply. When I eventually tracked him down he told me to call around the next day as the car was not there, but would definitely be there the next day.

Called the next day and the car wasn't there :mad:

Wasn't prepared to try again and bought elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

Originally Posted by bf
    Called the next day and the car wasn't there
    Definitely his biggest problem, happened to me a few times and was very annoying. With hindsight, it's only that I walk past his lock-up every day that I actually got to see the cars!!!

I know this affects all potential purchasers, but some of the crap I listened to from dealers this time around was unbelievable, much worse than anytime before....maybe because the market is slow :p He wasn't too bad, just banter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Its easy for dealers to source a car for you -
    But Harder for them to give you a decent price for your own.

Remember - they always have an agenda..........and it'll hit your wallet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Yeah thats what I was thinking, hes Glenda Gilsons brother aswell.

In that case he's Liam Lawlor's nephew...

Yeah im not getting decent trade in prices or having any luck selling privately. He seemed to have all the answers. Very hard to contact though by phone, i get the idea that most of the cars in his garage are borrowed just to make things look good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Yeah thats what I was thinking, hes Glenda Gilsons brother aswell. He says he can sell my car and source me a car that im interested in

If you can have a poke at his sister, buy his cars, if not, don't bother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

Car salesmen are the only people that can out lie a diplomat.

Copyright oilrig 2008.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement