Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS3 and 3G Broadband

Options
  • 29-03-2008 8:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭

Just wandering has anyone actually got there playstation connected online with 3g? I have 3 broadband and im tring to use it. I know its gonna be slow and so on but I want to know if anyone has actually got it connected and how they went about it. I tried setting up a wireless network but had no joy. Was told to buy a cross over ethernet cable and I did so and that wont work either. If anyone has been able to do it can they give me a hand.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭DemoniK

Many possibilities of getting it up and running - but need more info...

Which 3G operator?
    Which Modem - USB or PCMCIA?
    You mention wireless - wireless to what?
    Which OS (OSX, Windows XP, Vista)?

Am guessing that your connecting a windows XP computer to the 3G then trying to "share" the internet connection from it via wireless or cross over cable. Key thing is to ensure you have the internet connection sharing enabled on the computer.
    TBH, I've had limited experience with cross over cables and adhoc mode wifi. In the case of the crossover cable you would be better off buying a small ethernet swtich for ~€20 like this one http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=321791 to put between the two.

I ask about the modem above, as some vendors provide a PCMCIA card, and there are a few wifi routers, e.g. http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=1&pid=525, out there that can take it and share the connection via wifi to the rest of the house. This can't be done with the USB modems :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭m.j.w

Im using 3 broadband, windows vista, and its a usb modem. I was tring to set up a wireless network using my laptop but no matter what I tried the ps3 wouldnot detect it. Network sharing was enabled. I was told to get a cross over cable so I got one but when I connect the ps3 to laptop it says "connect an ethernet cable".

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Ourlad

m.j.w wrote: »
    Im using 3 broadband, windows vista, and its a usb modem. I was tring to set up a wireless network using my laptop but no matter what I tried the ps3 wouldnot detect it. Network sharing was enabled. I was told to get a cross over cable so I got one but when I connect the ps3 to laptop it says "connect an ethernet cable".

I got it working with basically the same set up only i'm with O2 not 3 but they use the same make of modem so i think it should work.

If you open the windows help box and search for Internet Connection Sharing windows will have a step by step guide to set it up, theres not much to it.

I cant remember of the top of my head how i did it because i set it a while ago and i'm only at a PC running XP and its a bit different. But i did use the windows help box and it was very straight forward.

Then connect your laptop to your PS3 and connect to the internet on your laptop. I have mine connected with the ethernet cable that came with the PS3 and it works fine.

Go to network settings, make sure internet connection is enabled and then select network connection.

Choose wired connection.

Select easy and then automatic for everything else. Just test your connection then and that should be it.

I've only played COD4 online and it works well most of the time other than peak times between 8 and 10 in the evening when i can barely get a connection and if i do i cant play it because the lag is so bad.

Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

I was told to get a cross over cable so I got one but when I connect the ps3 to laptop it says "connect an ethernet cable".

A crossover cable gives a quick ad hoc connection between two devices , in this case though , its not a crossover cable you want , just a straight one !

You want a standard connection to a PC with a gateway , ( the gateway is your modem , the PC the laptop ) so its not a crossover you want !

You should have got an ethernet cable with the PS3 , this is the right type.

Crossover cables are typically just used for head to head console/device connections , i.e. no router involved , once a PC or router comes into the mix , its a straight cable you need not a crossover!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,225 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

I was always under the impression that any form of wireless broadband isn't suitable for intensive online gaming from PCs or any major consoles excluding handhelds. The latency is just too high.

Has something changed with the laws of physics or has something improved 10 fold with wireless technology used for wireless broadband networking?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭m.j.w

I used the help box and I could not do it, tried everything. Does anyone who has it done use msn so you could talk me threw it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,489 ✭✭✭✭guil

the best thing ya could try would be to see if ya can get another laptop workin the same way ya are tryin with the ps3 cos a laptop will give more info bout whats wrong

Advertisement