Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW V Saab

Options
  • 25-03-2008 10:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hello,

I'm new to the boards and so apologies if this topic has already been covered.

I am looking at buying a 2005 used BMW 316 (1.8 Petrol) or a 2005 used Saab 9-3 (1.8 petrol) and would like some feedback as to which car represents the better buy?

Please feel free to include any detail on:

1) Reliability
    2) Cost of Service
    3) Cost of Spare Parts
    4) Depreciation

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

You may have seen this already http://www.trollhattansaab.net/archives/2007/04/saab_vs_bmw_1.html
    Btw I asked for this to be moved to Motors

Oh, and I drive SAAB myself;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Moved from Newbies & FAQ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Van Basten

Thanks Biko, good article.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭MuffinsDa

They are both good, safe, reliable and stylish cars. I would personally (as a current older generation Saab driver) go for the Saab. That generation of 93 are fairly reliable and don't suffer from the faults of previous (98-02) generation, although on the downside they don't look remotely as quirky and distinctive as OG900/NG900/OG93.
    With the Saab you probably get a slightly better safety record and more comfortable seats, with Beemer you get more sporty driving (RWD).
    Also, BMWs hold their value a lot better than Saabs, which means you get a bit more car for your money for an 05 Saab, but also you'll lose a bit more when (and if) you want to sell it a few years down the line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

oh saab no BM, saab no BM, tough tough question.
    I think both are good cars.
    One thing i like in the saab's is the fact that they still have the dash which wraps towards the driver, where the newer 3 series kinda lost that feel.
    BM for more sport feel, Saab for comfort and a touch of sport.

Ive flipped the coin id have the saab according to it so there you go!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Van Basten

Thanks for the input, Do you know if SAAB parts are any cheaper than BMW?

I drove a BMW last week and have to say the RWD is appealing to me, I'll be checking out SAABs this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,762 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

What about the 9-5?

My brother is a major SAAB fan. He is currently selling his 9-5 HERE , having bought a newer 9-5. And that's his 3rd one. None, yet, have required anything outside consumables - and he's particularly fastidious (e.g. I never, ever, met anyone who bought a new rear shelf.....because the old one was grubby......:rolleyes: )

I'll be honest and say whilst they've never 'floated' my boat, they are bloody good value for money. They do also seem to be, again, imho, much better specc'd than BeeEmm's. Cheap to sell, yes, but also v.cheap to buy. And, in his experience, they have been more reliable the the BeeEmm's too. This I/We can state with confidence becuase........his wife............only likes 3-series :rolleyes: :rolleyes: She too has changed hers recently. (her 'old' 00 318 Coupe Tiptronic is also for sale).

I've had a loan of, and driven, both, and tbh, unless you're buying a high-power BeeEmm the whole rwd/fwd argument is all rather moot........in the BeeEmm's case a 318/518 isn't powerful enough for it to enter the equation. It really should be down to value for money, and the car you like. Right now, the SAAB's score better - leather, etc always ticks the boxes for me.

My 0.02, as they say......

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

I don't see the point in going for a car cause "it's RWD" when there's only 115 bhp as standard.

Both of these cars are what I call Irish specials because they only bring 'em in here to get around VRT. In the UK nobody buys them and nobody buys them anywhere else too.

I would say no to either car. Get a BMW with a bigger engine, like a 320 of either flavour, the bottom of the range ones are for badge snobs only.

Or if you prefer the Saab, get one of the turbo engines at least.

Both of the engines in the cars mentioned have a reputation for being seriously underpowered, and that's because they're the entry level models.

BMW sells on being an "Ultimate Driving Machine". A 115 bhp 1.8 family saloon is never going to be an "Ultimate Driving Machine".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭MuffinsDa

Van Basten wrote: »
    Thanks for the input, Do you know if SAAB parts are any cheaper than BMW?

I drove a BMW last week and have to say the RWD is appealing to me, I'll be checking out SAABs this weekend.

Don' t know about Beemer parts, but if your in any way an enthusiast you can get lots of cheap parts (OEM quality, direct from manufacturer) from websites such as www.partsforsaabs.com and www.elkparts.com . Also plenty of second-hand parts available for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,185 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Best engine imo in the SAAB is the 1.9 TID which came out in 2005. The 150bhp version is a cracker and the Fiat united rated as probably the best diesel engine in it's class.

Unfortunately I found the 9-3 itself to be underwhelming. Very poor drive and fit n finish is average at best. Being based on the Opel Vectra doesn't help it's cause and it is nowhere near as good as the old SAABs.

Regarding the BMW the only decent 4 cylinder engine worth considering is the 2.0 litre diesel. Other than that go for one of the 6 cylinder units. A BMW with a 1.6/1.8 litre engine is pointless imo.

• Advertisement
Advertisement