Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

huawei 220 drivers for Ubuntu - help!

Options
  • 02-03-2008 11:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭

hi folks

I've just put Ubuntu on my dell vostro 1500. I use a three huawei 220 modem for my (rather slow) broadband access. I'd love to get it working with Ubuntu but havent had any success as of yet. I found a few sites that had guides but the were all a little greek to me and I'm not sure they were the same modem etc.

anyone got one of these modems working with ubuntu? any hints or help

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

I did, with suse, it depends on the usb-serial kernel module. the needed devices come up as /dev/ttyUSB0 /dev/ttyUSB1
    do you have these?

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭jackrussell007

I'll have to get back to you on that:)

I'm a real newbie I'm afraid. if I boot ubuntu it will detect the modem as an flash drive I think.

I havent even used any of the terminal windows yet, I've just had a poke around. it seems you really need an interent connection to get anything going in ubuntu no?

thanks anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭corkie

I've just put Ubuntu on my dell vostro 1500. I use a three huawei 220 modem for my (rather slow) broadband access. .....

Latest version's of ubuntu (7.10) should have support built in to kernel. I'm currently typing this from eeeXubuntu running on an eeepc. Using an O2 modem.

>>system >> network >> modem connection >> properties >> modem >> port is "/dev/ttyUSB0"

See this guide on linux.ie for more info if the above doesn't work for you.

Regards,
    J.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭jackrussell007

Excellent
    I'll give it a go when I get home

thanks muchly

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭ravendude

I ran into a lot of problems setting up my huawei E270 also, when I upgraded to the latest version of NetworkManager, there was a vast improvement.
    See my blog entry....
    http://www.vividapp.com/cms/index.ph...d=57&Itemid=61

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭corkie

I can confirm that both Hauwei E220 and the Sierra 888 are now recognised and work a charm in the Latest Ubuntu 9.04 RC with NetworkManager Applet 0.7.0.100.

Even from the live NBR image on a USB stick with out updates.

And as "ravendude" has pointed out he has got huawei E270 working as well!

Regards,
    J.

P.S. NetworkManager link.

Advertisement