Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

oil filter change

Options
  • 26-02-2008 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

I have an oil paper filter. I was wondering where in the engine does it go?
    The car is a Peugeot 407 1.6 HDI

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Coolguy, take the car to a mechanic, please...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

yes, if you dont know where it goes - you're going to make a balls of the service.

Just take it along to a machanic........and dont wind up with a seized engine or something?!?!:eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Coolguy, take the car to a mechanic, please...

According to this thread, the OP worked as a Nissan mechanic for 45 years!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055183071

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Nissan use metal filters, not paper:rolleyes:

Just take it to a mechanic, don't go messing about, loosening stuff on a hdi engine or you could do a lot of damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,388 ✭✭✭fletch

Just curious but did you change the oil back in November and not change the filter?
    This link might help you
    http://www.jlaforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=8422307

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

coolguy wrote: »
    I have an oil paper filter. I was wondering where in the engine does it go?
    The car is a Peugeot 407 1.6 HDI

ju8st wondering would you recommend one of those cars and did it ever give you any trouble?

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭coolguy

all new cars are different now i was talking to three different mechanics and none of them could actually see where the oil filter is situated...untill yesterday i was talking to a mechanic in a back street garage and he showed me ....so thanks for youre help...

ju8st wondering would you recommend one of those cars and did it ever give you any trouble?

not been biased...but i had a number of differnt cars before this..and i'd recommend peugeot diesels any day of the week..i had the 406 before gave no trouble.. only suspension links had to be changed..sold it to a fellow work colleague with 170k miles still goin strong..new 407 no trouble as of yet..

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

all new cars are different now i was talking to three different mechanics and none of them could actually see where the oil filter is situated...untill yesterday i was talking to a mechanic in a back street garage and he showed me ....so thanks for youre help...

Mechanics could not find an oil filter :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Worth every penny of that €85/hour labour charge.

• Advertisement

its not that they couldnt find it...its that they were'nt sure if that was it or not..it could of very easily been the diesel filter..if air gets into a diesel filter it can cause problems..

cjt156 wrote: »
    Worth every penny of that €85/hour labour charge.

when youre doin a lot of mileage..10k does not be long comin around...when you know where eveything is after youre first oil change on a new car its easy and worth doin yourself especailly when you have a car pit in youre garage it makes things alot easier..

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

its not that they couldnt find it...its that they were'nt sure if that was it or not..it could of very easily been the diesel filter..if air gets into a diesel filter it can cause problems..

You are having a laugh here surely?

The 2 are not even remotely similar.

You are having a laugh here surely?

The 2 are not even remotely similar.

its better to be safe than sorry..the oil filter is a completely different to the old one..it has its own compartmaent which the paper filter fits into...the filter itself could be mistaken for a diesel filter..if you seen one maybe you might understand..

The oil filter threads onto the side of the engine block! How any mechanic could either not locate or confuse one with a diesel filter (part of the fuel system) is laughable. Seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,266 ✭✭✭alias no.9

The oil filter threads onto the side of the engine block! How any mechanic could either not locate or confuse one with a diesel filter (part of the fuel system) is laughable. Seriously.

Not on all cars, it doesn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

No Sorry, Henry Ford is right. They should not be let near an engine if they dont know the difference between a fuel and oil filter, no matter wherer it is.

Anyway, I think someone elce here is telling fibs...... (with years of experience as a mechanic???)

How do you turn off the service light in a Peugeot? Espically if 10k comes around so fast?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,388 ✭✭✭fletch

alias no.9 wrote: »
    Not on all cars, it doesn't.
    Yeh the oil filter on this engine is indicated by Q.
    ibizafr130pdblt11vt2.th.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

I agree with you there. To find the fuel filer, follow the fuel pipe either from the injection system or the tank. Easy!

To find the oil filter, take a look at the block. It's usually there, unless you're running a full race engine with a dry sump system and a remote oil reservoir (which no ordinary car runs. It may be in the likes of a Ferrari or other exotics). Then follow the oil pipes from the Oil cooler!

Some modern cars are going back to the old paper filter element. Then look for something that looks like an oil filter, take it off and the filter is inside. Easy!

Coolguy, If you were a mechanic for 45 years, you'll remember the filters on the Ford Pre-crossflow (fitted in the Anglia and early Cortinas) they had the same paper filter element!

ianobrien wrote: »
    To find the oil filter, take a look at the block. It's usually there, unless you're running a full race engine with a dry sump system and a remote oil reservoir (which no ordinary car runs. It may be in the likes of a Ferrari or other exotics). Then follow the oil pipes from the Oil cooler!

I've got a fairly run of the mill 8 year old car that has a canister type oil filter, but it ain't on the side of the block.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

alias no.9 wrote: »
    I've got a fairly run of the mill 8 year old car that has a canister type oil filter, but it ain't on the side of the block.

Is it somewhere that it could be confused for a fuel filter by an experienced mechanic, though?

cjt156 wrote: »
    Is it somewhere that it could be confused for a fuel filter by an experienced mechanic, though?

Not even by an ammature. The point however is that not every car is the same. I've never seen a paper filter despite having done oil/filter changes on cars from four different manufacturers. If I were looking at two filter filter housings for paper type filters, neither located on the block with limited access to look for fuel lines / oil lines without dismantling, my guess would be that the larger one would be the fuel filter but I think I might ask for advice just in case, much like the OP did. HFIII smugly claimed that all oil filters are threaded onto the block; all that did was highlight his own limited knowledge as he castigated another for their limited knowledge, people in glasshouses and all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭IrishRover

fletch wrote: »
    Yeh the oil filter on this engine is indicated by Q.
    ibizafr130pdblt11vt2.th.jpg
    I was looking around underneath the engine bay for a while for the oil filter location on a MKV 1.6 FSI VW Golf and eventually realised that it was where I hadn't even thought to look - up high in the front of the engine bay, just over the alternator and partially obscured by the (very annoying) engine cover.
    vw_golf_mk5_fsi_engine_bay.jpg

It's quite convenient to get at, but there's a tradeoff in that (even after draining the oil) when you unscrew the cap from the housing that contains the removable paper filter, a significant amount of oil pours out and if you don't have plenty of paper towels ready to soak it up, it will fall into the alternator.

Maybe manufacturers from different countries or regions evolve conventions for things like oil filters, because there was a similar paper filter on a Mercedes A class. Or maybe more manufacturers will change to the removeable paper filter type because it is more environmentally friendly to only change the actual filter bit each time and not the metal housing.

All the Japanese engines I have worked on seem to have the oil filter horizontally mounted half way up at the back of the engine block, and it's nice and safe there, but the tradeoff is that they can be hard to get a hand to, and as soon as you start to unscrew them, oil starts trickling out and down your arm.

Rover/BL engines seem to all have the oil filter somewhere at the bottom of the block off to the side. In my T series engines the filter is mounted vertically, which is very handy for ease of access, and also means you can fill it with oil and then screw it on when fitting a new one. Downside is it might be more vulnerable in that position to getting damaged, but no more so than the sump itself I guess.

Coolguy, why don't you document the location of the oil filter in the 407 on this thread, for the benefit of anyone else who might find this thread after doing a google search? I'd just be interested to know if it's similar to the VW and Seat.

IrishRover wrote: »
    Coolguy, why don't you document the location of the oil filter in the 407 on this thread, for the benefit of anyone else who might find this thread after doing a google search? I'd just be interested to know if it's similar to the VW and Seat.
    It's roughly the same location as the filter in the Ibiza pic posted earlier, though a little lower and more to the right.

OK, I'm not actually a Nissan mechanic, though perhaps in a former lifetime. Truthfully, I suffer from MPD. Sorry for the confusion and thanks for the help.

Advertisement