Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calling all Dublin-based skaters!!!

Options
  • 22-02-2008 6:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭

South Dublin County Council are considering more parks :D

A note from Laurence Colleran in South Dublin CoCo below
    - if you're in the Tallaght/Clondalkin are GET INVOLVED!!!

South Dublin County Council is applying for Sports Grants for 2 new skateparks. One is planned for Jobstown Park adjacent the Community Centre and the other is proposed for Clondalkin Park adjacent the Community Centre. We would like to get support for these parks from skaters in those areas.

The Skatepark in Lucan came about due to massive support from local skaters who campaigned for it and worked with the design team to create a very unique park. It is proposed to work with skaters to develop these two new parks. It would be helpful to the application for funding if you could send letters/ messages of support for these 2 parks to porourke@sdublincoco.ie. by early next week.

Cheers,

JohnBoy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭Cork Skate

You should seriously try and get one of them covered. That should be the primary objective with one of those parks. Anything, a corrugated sheet roof or something but one should be covered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭JahEerie

Definitely a good call, unfortunately it's a nightmare for planning.
    If a roof is visible from Mr/Mrs Moany neighbours gaff it'll never be built in the first place (havin been involved with neighbours at Bushy & Lucan, this is a total head-wrecker)

To be honest, I really think that we need is an INDOOR public park.
    With Ramp & Rail long gone (R.I.P.) & Ramp City closed more recently (boo hoo) there's nothin thats not private in the greater Dublin area when it p*sses down :mad:

There can be no more argument about lack of demand/'Its just a fad' so its time the council actually put their (OUR) money where their mouth is

Rant over

JohnBoy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Phaeton

No more outdoor skateparks, its Ireland! Those parks are useless for most of the year. One good indoor skatepark located near city centre or somewhere handy would be best option. There is so many industrial estates with good facilities for skatepark. If you need support, indoor skatepark could wake up so many people.
    I know that global warming is comming but Ireland is not a country for outdoor parks!

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭luapenak

Phaeton wrote: »
    No more outdoor skateparks, its Ireland! Those parks are useless for most of the year. !
    I have to disagree with this statement, while not disagreesing with the overall point that an indoor skatepark would be nice. Although the weather is very often wet, I have been surprised at how much I have been able to use my local skatepark this winter. Even over the summer, when we had a record number days of rain, I will was still able to ride the skatepark most nights.
    On the subject of indoor parks, I would love a nice indoor wooden park, but know county council would want the maintanence associated with one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

How would a roof over a park interfere with planning matters? As long as its not over shadowing any of the neighboring houses it shouldnt cause any more problems than there might already be. I could get one done if its needed but between now and june i wont have time, after that im a free man :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 spiderlover

dude im a skater in clondalkin an ive been dyin to get a park around here!!

im sick of havin to get 2 buses to a park!!:mad:

like anythin u need me to do i'd b happy to help!!

or any info or updates on it ya mite have wud ya throw dem my way please??

the people around here...well me..i aint very well informed about it really...so any info wud b greatly appreciated...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Raver1

Guys it aint never gonna happen. If demand were there theres plenty of skaters who'd love to operate an indoor park but it aint there. Virtually every sporting organisation in the country would love indoor facilities but very few have them despite having huge memberships. Why would the government/council or whoever favour skating above far more organised, popular sports with wider user profiles whose members dedicate themselves to their clubs and fundraise themselves rather than looking for handouts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭KamikazeKenny81

Raver1 wrote: »
    Guys it aint never gonna happen. If demand were there theres plenty of skaters who'd love to operate an indoor park but it aint there. Virtually every sporting organisation in the country would love indoor facilities but very few have them despite having huge memberships. Why would the government/council or whoever favour skating above far more organised, popular sports with wider user profiles whose members dedicate themselves to their clubs and fundraise themselves rather than looking for handouts.

Im new to all this skating stuff so basically I'd admit to knowing nothing ;) but wouldnt it make more financial sense for the council to buy one of the recently closed indoor parks? Or have they been dismantled?

Advertisement