Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My new look

Options
  • 11-02-2008 4:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

Hi all. I’m new to the boards, I'm Kate, 18

Over the weekend I par took in a charity headshave event. My long hair is all gone. They lathered me up and shaved it real smooth. Raised €2000 so am well happy!

Anyway my hair used to compliment my outfits and now that Im bald I was wondering is there any particular clothes that would suit my new look.

Im smallish and skinny

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭LuckyStar

Fair play to you! I would never have the guts to do that!

The thing with a shaved head is it's a bit masculine so your outfits won't look the same on you. I remember seeing a photo of Britney Spears with a bald head wearing a regular pink strappy top and she looked a bit butch. Although that's Britney Spears, the queen of looking bad!

I'd say you could really look nice in headscarves that match your outfit, I remember a girl in college shaved her head for charity and she wore headscarves, they looked fab and you can get them in any colour or pattern you want! I would love to wear them but my own hair is quite thick and I wear extensions as well so I'd be way too warm!

You will probably be quite cold without your hair, now is the time to splash out on some fancy hats, trilbys etc are cool and you won't have to worry about getting the dreaded hat hair look!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Trilbys arent cool, buy a beret and go with that whole Parisian look thats goin around now. Fair balls to ye by the way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 smurphyk

LuckyStar wrote: »
    Fair play to you! I would never have the guts to do that!

The thing with a shaved head is it's a bit masculine so your outfits won't look the same on you. I remember seeing a photo of Britney Spears with a bald head wearing a regular pink strappy top and she looked a bit butch. Although that's Britney Spears, the queen of looking bad!

I'd say you could really look nice in headscarves that match your outfit, I remember a girl in college shaved her head for charity and she wore headscarves, they looked fab and you can get them in any colour or pattern you want! I would love to wear them but my own hair is quite thick and I wear extensions as well so I'd be way too warm!

You will probably be quite cold without your hair, now is the time to splash out on some fancy hats, trilbys etc are cool and you won't have to worry about getting the dreaded hat hair look!

I dont really like headscarves, but I will defo be wearing more hats, my head is freezing!!! Think Ill pass on the trilbys tho :)

I know what you mean about looking butch, thats the last thing I wanna look!!

thanks

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Well done. That's a really ballsy thing to do.

I shave my head and I remember well the first time I did it...jesus the cold! A scarf and a warm hat will make a huge difference, but you'll need to wash both quite regularly for the first couple of weeks or you'll get spots (not something you need to contend with if you have hair).

Is your head bumpy at all? Well proportioned? Bald women can look quite attractive, but as someone else pointed out, you'll need to be careful not to look too masculine. I'd keep your shoulders covered generally. Skirts would probably help. You'll have some hair within a week and a decent covering within two weeks.

Anyway, congrats again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭pheby

Hey, Fair play to you departing with your hair!! how long was it?

Id say stick to your own style maybe dry dress up a bit more girly to avoid the the butch image you know. heres a picture of a girl with a shaved head totally rocking a dress!!

Is your head stubbley or is it smoothe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

pheby wrote: »
    Hey, Fair play to you departing with your hair!! how long was it?

Id say stick to your own style maybe dry dress up a bit more girly to avoid the the butch image you know. heres a picture of a girl with a shaved head totally rocking a dress!!

Yea, but shes hott!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭pheby

snyper wrote: »
    Yea, but shes hott!

And how do you know the OP isnt hot?

A smooth (i.e. with a blade type razor) shave only stays that way for about 1-2 days on your head. After that it's like sandpaper for about 3-5 days (and looks like the girl in the pic, though this may not be the case for the OP since her hair is blonde), then it looks like you used an electric clippers for about 2 weeks but is surprisingly soft from this point on.

And how do you know the OP isnt hot?

i was referring to the post above my one where there can be the issue of butchness in some women, i make no refrence t the OP.

However, i do find women with a short haircut, not skinned.. but short to be attractive.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Pics before and after, so we can help you better...

• Advertisement

Before and after pictures.

I shaved it again last night :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Just admiring the shape of your skull

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

More girls should shave their heads. It's a good look, and you have the skull for it.

Aard wrote: »
    and you have the skull for it.

Definitely.

zAbbo wrote: »
    Just admiring the shape of your skull
    More girls should shave their heads. It's a good look, and you have the skull for it.
    Khannie wrote: »
    Definitely.

Thanks guys, you wouldnt believe the amount of compliments ive been getting!!

Im actually gonna keep it shaved for a while. So any tips on what kind of razor blades or shaving cream to use or how often would be great. thanks.

I'm not sure about specific scalp maintanance, but if it's sunny outside I'd make sure to lather on the UV protection.

Id let it grow a little imo.. somthing like the cut from a blade 2 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

Wow you definitely have the head for it :D

And well done on raising all that money as well!

smurphyk wrote: »

Hehe. Not surprised.
    Im actually gonna keep it shaved for a while. So any tips on what kind of razor blades or shaving cream to use or how often would be great. thanks.

If you're shaving regularly (I've done this for extended periods in the past, but wouldn't be arsed in general as the clippers is so quick) here's what I've learned:

- 1 mach 3 blade per head shave. There are a /lot/ of hairs on your head. 1 shave will dull the blade enough not to use again.
    - Shower before shaving your head. This will soften the hairs and make the shave a bit easier.
    - Whatever gel / soap you use, use plenty of water and leave it on for a minute or two before starting.
    - Don't go over the same area too many times or you'll start taking skin with you. I generally do once with the grain and once against the grain for a smooth head shave.
    - Use hot water.
    - Rinse the blade after each stroke to get more water onto it. Don't shake the water off (it may run down you a bit, but this is better than shaking it off).
    - After you've done the front and sides, the soap / gel at the back will be dry. Lather it up with some more water or you'll be grating against the skin too much.
    - Wash with luke warm water at the end, then cold water to close the pores.
    - Finally, use a good quality after shave balm. "King of shaves" do a good unfragranced one that I swear by. You can get that in dunnes / boots / wherever.

edit: On how often, I'd say not to leave it go more than 4 or 5 days. Every 3 days is probably ideal.

I'm not sure about specific scalp maintanance, but if it's sunny outside I'd make sure to lather on the UV protection.

Oh yes....this is sound advice. Your scalp is probably a bit whiter than the rest of your face at the moment. It will all be the same colour after a bit then treat it as normal skin, but in the mean-time make sure you have some kind of UV protection on or you will burn very easily. Try to avoid oily ones or you will get spots (since your hair folicles are releasing oils all the time anyway).

Like I said before....if you're wearing hats regularly, make sure you wash them frequently. Same reason.

• Advertisement

Khannie wrote: »
    Hehe. Not surprised.

If you're shaving regularly (I've done this for extended periods in the past, but wouldn't be arsed in general as the clippers is so quick) here's what I've learned:

- 1 mach 3 blade per head shave. There are a /lot/ of hairs on your head. 1 shave will dull the blade enough not to use again.
    - Shower before shaving your head. This will soften the hairs and make the shave a bit easier.
    - Whatever gel / soap you use, use plenty of water and leave it on for a minute or two before starting.
    - Don't go over the same area too many times or you'll start taking skin with you. I generally do once with the grain and once against the grain for a smooth head shave.
    - Use hot water.
    - Rinse the blade after each stroke to get more water onto it. Don't shake the water off (it may run down you a bit, but this is better than shaking it off).
    - After you've done the front and sides, the soap / gel at the back will be dry. Lather it up with some more water or you'll be grating against the skin too much.
    - Wash with luke warm water at the end, then cold water to close the pores.
    - Finally, use a good quality after shave balm. "King of shaves" do a good unfragranced one that I swear by. You can get that in dunnes / boots / wherever.

edit: On how often, I'd say not to leave it go more than 4 or 5 days. Every 3 days is probably ideal.

Hey, thanks so much, that all sounds great. so every 3 days then, thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭chris_oc

i'd think it suits you,waxed my legs for charity before,worthy cause,didnt raise quiet as much as you did tho!:rolleyes:

had a shaved head for god knows how long in secondary school,around the 3 year mark anyways! used to shave it once a week with a mac3,when i actually wanted it that tight,not always tho!
    my advice 1. get someone else to do it for you(its just common sense;))
    2. if you have thick hair like mine,lather in the shaving foam and leave it for quiet a while just because it softens the hair and makes it easier to cut!
    3. if you want it to be really shiney,get some wax like turk did in scrubs!!haha (wouldnt do it myself tho;))

good luck wit it!:D

Thanks guys!! heres a propper picture!!

Love it. Keep it up; hopefully it will catch on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭easy guv'nor

thats a great look - suits you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

> cough <

• Registered Users Posts: 14,974 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

stovelid wrote: »
    > cough <

Ahh that was a legendary thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

Did we not establish that this was a load of bull?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,974 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Femmy wrote: »
    Did we not establish that this was a load of bull?

Yes, yes we did.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

Ahh that was a legendary thread.

That it was , I <3'ed that thread!

Advertisement