Round roast - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

05-02-2008, 13:28   #1
jdivision

Round roast

Hiya, I've bought just over a kilo of round roast. I'm wondering about cooking time for it. 190C in a fan heated oven for 80 minutes?
Advertisement
05-02-2008, 13:38   #2
Dizzyblonde

I'm not sure how tender it would be, to be honest. Round roast is a lot tougher than say, fillet or sirloin. When I cook it I usually boil it for around half an hour then roast it for another hour and a half to 2 hours depending on the size. The boiling makes it succulent all the way through and allows you to roast it for long enough that it'll be tender too.
05-02-2008, 14:22   #3
jdivision

Oh damn. Didn't realise that. It was fairly expensive so thought it'd be a fairly good cut. Thanks for the advice.
05-02-2008, 15:30   #4
TequilaMockingBird

Try putting about an inch of water in the roasting tin for the first hour of cooking, and cover with tin foil, it will then steam at the same time.
05-02-2008, 16:12   #5
Pigletlover

Get lots of root vegetables - carrots, parsnips, swede, celery, potatoes and an onion. Cut the swede into large chunks, slice the celery, leave the carrots and parsnips whole and halve the potatoes if they're big or leave whole if they're small. Put them in a roasting dish and pour boiling water on top until they are almost covered, place the beef on top and cover in tin foil. Place in an oven preheated to around 160 C and roast for about 2 hours.
Advertisement
05-02-2008, 16:27   #6
RE*AC*TOR

I roasted a round roast overnight at about 70 degrees once. Turned out well.
06-02-2008, 00:34   #7
jdivision

Thanks everybody for the advice. I went with Dizzyblonde's advice cos it was only one posted at time I left work. Threw in some cut carrots, onions, cloves of garlic and parsnips with it and they caramelised nicely. Seems to have gone well overall, but I see what you mean about quality of cut. Will definitely try out some of the other recipes above. Thanks again.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion