Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Merc Sprinter conversion

Options
  • 31-01-2008 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hi there,
    I have just bought an ’03 Merc Sprinter LWB which I intend to convert to a camper and am looking for any advice / experiences of anyone doing similar. I intend to make a 6 berth, with 6 forward facing seats with (3 point) seatbelts for driving, which can then transform to a comfortable living area and a decent size store / garage in the rear.

I have done a fair bit of background work and know the work involved, ye an awful lot of time and money !

If anyone has advice or experience on anything from windows to water / space heaters to lining / cabinet materials, seats, showers, cookers…. where to get them (I’m Dublin based) ……… etc ……. it would be greatfully recieved. You get the picture of what I’m after.
    I’m particularly concerned about getting a really nice “professional look” finish on everything, nice trim, corners, concealed hinges / latches etc. I’ll fabricate everything myself (I think I’ll need to in order to get a really good fit on everything) unless someone can point me to a cheap alternative source. I’m not concerned about tools / equipment or know how.

I was thinking of going to a “one stop shop” in England to source much of the stuff, fly over and get the stuff shipped back …. Has to be cheaper that way ???

Likewise if anyone out there intends to do similar I can let you know of my experiences. I have made fairly detailed drawings / plans of both the basic sprinter and what I intend to do with it, I’ll update these as I go. If anyone wants them they are welcome.

Anyway I hope the above is not too long that no one bothers reading it.
    Thanks
    Ciaran.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

Hi Ciaran, exactly the same plan myself, although 3 or 4 berth in my case. I bought a LWB 2002 from UK, registered it in Ireland as van, and have stripped it down. Then will just convert it little by little over next few months (years). I will change the type to a camper as soon as it passes as one by law.

I found some surface corrosion where the floor plywood meets the walls, so have wire brushed those and treated with Lowe rust. I have also waxoiled the inside. In general, access to the sheet metal will be pretty hard afterwards, so I though it would be a good idea to do the groundwork well.

For the floor I'm installing high density 20 mm styrofoam routed to fit snugly over the floor panel ridges covered with probably click fit flooring. The idea is to build a thin floor that preserves as much headroom as possible while it also has insulation. By forming the styrofoam to meet the floor should increase the strength.A simple walk on tests appears to confirm that the resulting floor is surprisingly steady. I will probably glue some battens straight to the van metal floor where the furniture is going to be installed though. The styrox will be glued on the sheet metal using waxoil, and the flooring on styrox with brush on glue of some type. The routed grooves underneath the styrofoam will ensure that it will stay put.

I will go for a double bed at the back that converts into U-sofa and table. Kitchen on the left between the sofas and sliding door, toilet, twin wardrobe on the right. As of windows I wil probably go for the Seitz S4 (sizes unclear yet, probably not very high at least). Does your Sprinter come with Eberspacher diesel fired heater D5W something? I plan to use that as the space heater. Controlling it should be possible with a simple room thermostat. Then just need to run pipework back of the van and install radiators, e.g. car heater matrices (and maybe quiet fan to circulate the air).

There is plenty of space under the floor for waste water tank. I won't fit a shower so will probably use simple carry on water tanks with submersible water pump.

There is a pretty decent supplier for roof vents etc in Wicklow called Charles Camping. It maybe a good idea to visit them in Blessington before traveling to UK.

Good luck with your project. There sure is lots of things to do. I'd be really interested to hear what you find out about the "professional look" materials.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭bido

Aaron converted a bus last year I'm sure he would be a great help with suppliers etc .you can contact him for any help at campsitereview.com

Aido;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

It might be worth contacting Reimo for one of their older catalogs on CD
    http://reimo.ms-visucom.de/reimo/GB/katalogbestellung.html

When I dealt with them in the past for VW T3 conversion bits (when they still did them), they had everything you could think of and then some more.

Especially good for some vehicle-specific solutions

peasant wrote: »
    It might be worth contacting Reimo for one of their older catalogs on CD
    http://reimo.ms-visucom.de/reimo/GB/katalogbestellung.html

When I dealt with them in the past for VW T3 conversion bits (when they still did them), they had everything you could think of and then some more.

Especially good for some vehicle-specific solutions

Thanks for the link. They don't seem to ship catalogues abroad but maybe the cd. Anyway, looks like the website has everything. Prices seem a bit dear though: I guess the current favourable EUR/GBP exchange rate makes stuff in UK look reasonable...

You don't necessarily have to buy from them ...the catalog is also very useful for stealing ideas :D and copying designs.

• Advertisement

peasant wrote: »
    stealing ideas :D and copying designs.

Peasant, that's a very bold idea, why would anybody do something like that.. How dare you to suggest such a thing. *SamiH navigating to Reimo website to steal some ideas*

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭cir287

Thanks for the replies lads.
    I'm going to check my drawings for accuracy over the weekend, all the dims I have are got from the web. I'll see if I can attach these when done, might be handy to have. After that I think I need to source the seating as everything else will have to fit around these. Once I have that done I can go and source all the other bits.
    That Reimo stuff does look nice, there seem to be a couple of UK agents, might see if I can get a CD from them. I still fance the idea of getting as much stuff in the one place, cuts down of travelling time, transport etc.
    Anyone have any experience of O'Leary's in UK ???

One other question - When presenting the camper / motorhome for VRT, will they accept a weigh slip (printed that day) from a DOE approved weigh bridge to say its over 3 tonnes or can they weigh them at the VRT office ??? I intend to make sure its over 3 tonnes.

Thanks for the help so far and please keep it coming.
    Regards
    Ciaran.

A VRO officer worth their salt would want to inspect your camper, open a few cupboards, make sure you haven't stowed a lot of weight enhancing sandbags somewhere and then accompany you to the next scales ...

...others mightn't.

My original plan was to go for the "over 3 tons weight" but then I started to think of the disadvantage of having to haul all the extra weight around in terms of performance, fuel consumption etc.. Ciaran, in your case if you're looking for a 6 berth you have to think that your sprinter has gross weight of only 3.5 tons, and when you add 6 people, luggage, water, gas etc. it will be remarkably easy to go over the three and a half ton weight.

How much does an empty LWB weigh anyway? I would think around 2200? The current weight =>3000 kg is lots of building materials...

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Chevy RV

I intend to make sure its over 3 tonnes.

I was talking to a friend who acheived this by temporarily fitting some lead sheets under his camper for a possible weight check by the VRO. He passed it no problem.

In my case,they weighed it at the old sugar factory in Thurles eventhough it wieghed around 5 ton and the inspector knew it was over the weight by looking at it. She did say to me that if I had it weighed on a weighbridge that she would have accepted that weight.

Chevy RV;)

• Advertisement

thanks lads, I hear what you are telling me, enough said.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭dollydishmop

cir287 wrote: »
    Hi there,
    I have just bought an ’03 Merc Sprinter LWB which I intend to convert to a camper and am looking for any advice / experiences of anyone doing similar.

If you haven't found these guys already they are well worth a look for all the advice and experience you'll ever need!
    Self Build Motor Caravanners Club - UK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Kenn sprinter

I also have a LWB sprinter that I am hoping to put into retirement over the summer. Would greatly appreciate a look at your plans. I'm in Wicklow but travel to Dublin two or three times a week. Good luck with your project.

Ye, no problem, anyone who wants the plans can have them. I just need to verify all my dimensions first (didnt get around to it this week, was all a bit hectic). I'll put them up as an attachment / email them or whatever.

I was told by a few people (including samih) that Charles Camping in Blessington are a good place to check out, rang them and they reckon they have most of the stuff I'll need for the conversion. I might go down at the weekend and have a look around. Will let you know how I get on.

yes, thanks Dollydishmop, that site is a world of info, takes a while to get through it and the various opinions on everything.

http://www.sbmcc.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

If you haven't found these guys already they are well worth a look for all the advice and experience you'll ever need!
    Self Build Motor Caravanners Club - UK

I'm a member of SBMCC and benefit from all manor of discounts, not to mention top notch info from members who have done it all.

I was up the VRT office last week to see if they could give me an idea of VRT i would need to pay if it was under the 3000kg, i thought he was joking, he said it could be as much as €10,000. :eek:
    Am looking now at adding 1000AH of battery banks along with 25mm armour plate beneath the ply for those trips to Iraq and adding 1000lt water tank to the roof rack for those hot days.
    Do you think Mr Vrt would notice ? :D

Bb

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

Dont forget to fill your tyres with water as it helps keep her stable on the road......

and don't forget to explain to them about your slipped disk and how you absolutely need that big water bed :D

Still haven’t put the measuring tape to the sprinter to verify all my dimensions, it’s been another busy week, should get to do it this weekend. I'll put the plans up when done.

I called into Charles camping last Sunday and was pleasantly surprised with the amount of stuff they had in stock. They haven’t received delivery of their 08 catalogues yet but took my name and address and said they would post one on when they came in which is fair enough.

Am still on the lookout for suitable seating as I think everything else will hinge around these (as in how much room they occupy and how flexible they are in terms of folding / swiveling / bedding etc.

The reimo stuff looks very good, you can get into an online PDF catalogue from the website but it’s all in German and a little hard (for me anyway) to understand. There are also a few Irish agents listed on the site, I've contacted them looking for some info, will let you know how I get on.

As for the weight thing goes, well I don’t think it should be too much of a problem on a new build. Let’s just say it will be 3 tonnes, with water tanks empty (just in case they check)
    Hope the VRO doesn’t look at this site too often !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭hynesie

Hey Cir287,
    I'm thinking of doing a Sprinter conversion also (some more info here) and I'd really appreciate it if you could send me on your plans,
    Thanks,
    Hynesie

• Advertisement

I finally got to check those dimensions, hopefully the attachment actually uploads ok.
    AS you will see this is just the basic lwb sprinter, mine is '03 and thats the one I measured up but I gather any pre '07 lwb will have similar dimensions (I'm assuming the earlier model change was a facelift and engines/gearbox only, correct me if I'm wrong)
    I'll start adding the bits and pieces into this over the next while. Sprinter stripout starts this week !
    I got some seats last saturday, I want to see how these fit prior to seeing how much room I have for kitchen etc.

ok, drawing seems to have uploaded. If you want a larger copy or different format let me know, the original is done on autocad.
    Any dimensions shown, the top and the side view drawings are accurate, a bit of artistic licence was used with the front and rear views but they should be pretty close.

I've beena bit waylaid again on this, will get those full plans up soon.

One thing I am in a bit of a dilema about is insulation. I've read up a bit about it (mainly on the SBMCC site) and spray on insulation seems to be the way to go. I found one crowd on the web (in Ireland) selling kits for general insulation but it would work out at nearly €500 to do the walls and roof, thats not counting the floor, seems a bit pricy. I'm going to ring a few commercial contractors who do this sort of work for the building industry to see if they would be interested.
    Does anyone know of someone in Ireland who will do this work or better still sell the kit to do it ?
    Thanks
    Ciaran.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

Just insulated my Relay conversion, 1" kingspan in the floor and ceiling, 4" fibreglass in the walls. I weighed up the pro's and con's and all things considered i think its the best option, spay on foam is a hell of a mess and i had it on the van before this one, it was like a sponge in area's and a bloody nightmare if you need panel work.

BB

Hey Ciaran,
    how's the conversion progressing?
    I got my MWB Sprinter at weekend and am in the process of taking the fibreglass lining out of the back and removing the bulkhead.
    Gearoid

Hi there Gearoid,
    Progress is still slow, hopefully with a bit more daylight coming on stream I’ll get a bit more done. I tried to concentrate on the van at first, serviced it (was told to make sure to change fuel filter on sprinter at each service too, cheaper than injector work), put tyres on it, fitted lock protectors ("armaplate") and generally tidied it up. Pulled the ply lining and bulkhead out aswell, I have left the floor for the moment as the van gets a bit of use on some weekends. I have fitted part of the partition between the rear storage area and the main accommodation area, there’s a bit more work to do here. I reckon I’ll end up making up a lot of the bits and pieces, fitting them and then removing them again to allow me to insulate it, cut holes for windows, roof lights etc.
    Am in the process of getting a full list of all the bits I need (awning, cooker, fridge, sink, water heater …. etc), I’ll get a few quotes on this, hopefully get a bit of discount for a large order.
    The other thing I did was to get some seats, I know a lot of people don’t like the idea of using secondhand seats (and for good reason) but I put a fair bit of time and thought into this one. I eventually got the backseats from a fresh Renault grand espace, (5 individual seats), the reason I went for this was because the floor in the espace is flat, the seats are removable, foldable, slide and can be reversed to face backwards but the main advantage of these is that they have integral seatbelts mounted on the seats so you don’t have to try and mount belts on the van body. They may be a little low but I'll cross that bridge if it comes. There are a few other cars like this (Chrysler grand voyager etc) but I think it’s a new enough feature (having integral seatbelts) so you may have to do a bit of searching if you go down this route. Also make sure you get all the rails etc that the seats fit onto.
    There’s a double passenger seat in mine, am going to change this for a single and fit a swivel to it and the driver seat, this should open up the accommodation area quite a bit, the rear storage area in mine is quite big and incorporates the shower, toilet etc so I need all the living room I can get in the front section.
    I have fairly detailed plans, they keep changing all the time but I’ll get them up as an attachment some day soon. Let me know how you're getting on.
    Ciaran.

Hey Ciaran,
    the status so far is that I've removed all the fibreglass lining, the bulkhead and the double passenger seat.
    I sprayed the floor with cavity wax last last night and I'm going to put felt over that tonight and then the plywood on top of that.
    What I'm looking for is the ability to carry 4 passengers, sleep 2 comfortably (bed around 6'4" long), keep 2/3 surfboards inside but kinda out of the way.
    The design I'm probably going for is:
    • 1 swivel seat (passenger).
    • Static double seat behind the drivers seat facing forward.
    • Small Kitchen directly behind the passenger seat (parallel with the back of the double seat).
    • At the back there will be a bench either side and a table in the middle, which will then convert into a big double bed.
    I'm keeping the design as simple as possible. I had planned on putting in an extra berth, but having spoken with several people I decided to prioritise 1 decent double bed. I tried a few other designs but they all seemed to result in 1 ok bed and 1 crap bed. The extra 38" that the LWB Sprinter has would have been very useful for fitting in the extra bed.
    I'm not really sure what to do about a drying area for the wetsuits, but its lower down my list at the moment.

Gearoid

Long time since online at boards. My project is stalled at the moment, I'm waiting for windows that are delayed (ordered from UK). Recently tried to install central locking kit from ebay, but the motors were not strong enough to turn the heavy Sprinter locks. There is no easy way to add more leverage in front doors atleast, so no central locking then.

Like hynesie and cir287 I will fit some extra seats (and a small table) behind driver's seat. Will go to the breakers yard to look for seats with integrated seatbelts sometime in April. The back will have a U-sofa, with a child's bed above it sideways.

Here are some pictures from the progress if you're interested. As you can see still plenty to do. I think I'll fit the central heating system next. Sourced some VW Golf heater matrices from ebay and will run the heating off the built-in Eber.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hentunen/sets/72157603993538976/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭FrCrilly

Hi,

I can't help you directly with your query, but on the off chance you don't know about this place, it doesn't hurt to tell you about it. http://www.mercedessprinters.ie/

• Advertisement

Hi Samih,
    its good to hear someone who is a few steps ahead of me. The photos are great, puts a bit of reality to it all.
    What sort of insulation is that you are using on the roof, are you glueing it up in place ??? It looks very well.
    What sort of windows are you going for ?
    I intend to fit windows in the sliding door and the opposite side panel (Seitz, sliding type), I contacted Rainbow conversions in UK who told me, "We fit 900mm x 500mm windows into these panels, the side door one needs to be spaced away from the vehicle. You will not get larger double glazed windows into these panels"

sorry for all the questions but thats what you get for being ahead of me !

Regards
    Ciaran.

Advertisement