Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Student Poker Championship 2008

Options
  • 24-01-2008 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

We've been trying for months to get a sponsor on board for this (for very little outlay I might add) but have had no luck as yet.

However, in order to keep the tournament alive this year Derek and I have decided to run it sponsor or no sponsor. If this tournament does go ahead without a sponsor we will be running it as a self deal tournament. If it goes ahead with a spnosor (most likely scenario) then it will be fully dealer dealt. There will also be an extremely playable blind structure making this the best value tournament so far this year.

So here it is;

Date; Saturday 5th April 2008.
    Start time; 11am
    Finish Time; We will aim for about midnight.
    Location; Regency Airport Hotel, Dublin. - 5 star (*****:D) hotel with a special room rate of €150 triple sharing. Ten mins bus ride from Dublin city centre and ten mins drive from Dublin airport. Really good food at reasonable prices, very comfortable conference room and a full gym thingy.

No Limit Texas Hold'em Freeze-out:
    €65 + €7 registration.

Method of registration to be confirmed. If a sponsor is involved we will make sure that it is an extremely easy online registration method. If there is no sponsor involved then the only way to register will be through college poker societies or of course directly with us (after we check your student I.D.)

This event will be limited to 400 players and we are asking every student here on boards to get the word out about this tournament now.

The estimated prize-pool will be €26,000 and of course if a sponsor comes on board we will most likely have all sorts of added value.

Please PM or email me now (stephen@pokerireland.ie) if you have are interested in playing and if you are involved in a poker soc please send me on contact details of the people that I need to know (be it UK or Ireland colleges/universities)......

I have just over two months to organise 400 lazy ass students so need a little help. I will be travelling the length and breadth of the country in order to get this going so please send this year's relevant contact details to me and forward this thread to as many peops as possible.

Cheers,
    Stephen Mc Lean.
    087 24 24 626 (text only please its a busy busy phone)
    stephen@pokerireland.ie or derek@pokerireland.ie

Mods apologies for lack of blind structure but one will follow by tomorrow evening; just need to see if I can do better :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,771 ✭✭✭TommyGunne

Have been looking forward to this post for a while. Will play it if the date suits, and I'm really looking forward to it. Good luck with the sponsor and keep us updated here regularly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭ditpoker

i do not understand why ANY poker company doesnt inflict serious injury on you trying to thrust $10,000 into your pockets for this!?!?

basic example...
    every site offers 50% sign up bonus or something similar, some sites (ppp for example) offer "$10 free, here ya go... have it... go gamble!" 400 players, $10, $4000 ... COME ON!!!! ste, if i owned a poker site i'd give you lots of money! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

Yeah can't wait for this one...Is it just a one day event this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭carfax

Hi guys,

I don't want to focus on the sponsorship side of things too much at this stage .....I've spent so much time in meetings and on the phone and writing emails now that I just want to concentrate on getting the 400 student players into the Regency on April 5th and make sure that they experience a serious competitiive poker tournament....

Students; Please email/PM me with any details that you can think of that might help me to get publicity and interest generated in this tournament....Also; contact details of poker society heads, other student players that might be interested or any other information that might help with this cause.....

____
    By the way I've already got a PM from a potential sponsor :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

Hmmm that date is really really near the date I've to hand in my final year project, so I will probably be doing lots of last minute stuff for the project and might not be able to make it. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Seems a bit up in the air at the moment. Will play though if overlay and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭RoadSweeper

Thought it would be earlier, hopefully doesnt cross with exams!

Seems a bit up in the air at the moment. Will play though if overlay and all that.

There is nothing up in the air about it, the venue is booked, April 5th at 11am the tournament will start. Above all else we want to make sure that players receive a top class service so having dealers is really important to us, blind structure will follow in a few mins.

Also, thanks for the support, its great to hear you will play so long as we are giving away money.

Thought it would be earlier, hopefully doesnt cross with exams!

As I said in the OP we've been trying for months to get a sponsor on board. We have been unsuccessful to date but still decided to run the event anyway.....I've tried to make sure that the event doesn't run during any holiday breaks and as regards students that do have final exams around this time I'm assuming/hoping that most people will be able to give up one Saturday for a chance to win a seriously large sum of money.....Also we will be trying to keep the event to this date for years to come.

8,000 starting chips.

11:00 - 11:30 - 1. 25-50
    11:30 – 12:00 - 2. 50-100
    12:00 – 12:30 - 3. 75-150
    12:30 – 13:00 - 4. 100-200
    13:00 – 13:30 - 5. 150-300
    Break 15 mins -
    13:45 – 14:15 - 6. (race off 25 chips) 200-400
    14:15 – 14:45 - 7. 300-600
    14:45 – 15:15 - 8. 400-800
    15:15 – 15:45 - 9. 500-1,000
    15:45 – 16:15 - 10. 800-1,500
    Break 45 mins – Dinner
    17:00 – 17:30 - 11. (race off 100 chips) 1,000-2,000
    17:30 – 18:00 - 12. 1,500-3,000
    18:00 - 18:30 - 13. 2,000-4,000
    18:30 – 19:00 - 14. 3,000-6,000
    19:00 – 19:30 - 15. 4,000-8,000
    Break 15 mins
    19:45 – 20:15 - 16. 5,000-10,000
    20:15 – 20:45 - 17. 8,000-15,000
    20:45 – 21:15 - 18. 10,000-20,000
    21:15 – 21:45 - 19. 15,000-30,000
    21:45 – 22:15 - 20. 20,000-40,000
    Break 15 mins
    Play to finish
    21. 30,000-60,000
    22. 40,000-80,000
    23. 50,000-100,000
    24. 80,000-150,000

Hope people can appreciate that we are trying to have a really great atmosphere for the final table. For that reason we want to keep the structure to a one day event and play it out to a winner before midnight on Saturday April 5th.

Also feel free to suggest changes to the above (and let me know if I have made any mistakes) but I think this will pretty much have to be the structure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Phil-Dublin

Hi Stephen
    I am presently doing my final courses in PC's and hope to have my ECDL by June
    i mentioned this to my class mates. who are all in their late 20's and upwards
    will they all qualify for entry as "STUDENTS" even though they are not actually permanent university students, but they are all paid up night course people actually studying
    if its ok, please let us know where we can register and pay so as to guarantee our seats
    i was at this last year as a student and it was great craic, so i will be back for another lash
    please say YES!
    thanks
    Phil
    last year this was badly attended by females, can you offer any incentives for the fairer sex, other than the place will probably be full of nice young lads and out-numbering fillies by 20/1 ???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

I want to do a 2 year ecdl course aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Rossibaby

sounds great mate i hope to play!thanks for the effort

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭semibluff

ive been STUDYING the rules of the road the last few months

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

semibluff wrote: »
    ive been STUDYING the rules of the road the last few months

u wouldn't think it - the way u drive :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

Ace2007 wrote: »
    u wouldn't think it - the way u drive :D

you all set for 9To again?

Rossibaby wrote: »
    sounds great mate i hope to play!thanks for the effort

Cheers mate.

_______

Hi Phil,

Anyone that wants to pre-register (to guarantee a seat is kept for them) only has to email stephen@pokerireland.ie

If you have a student I.D. or can reasonably prove/convince us that you are a student then you can play :)

Cheers for the support, we need all players to get behind the event (as always) in order to make this a success so please send an email and help us out with organisation and in terms of getting a sponsor interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Mr.Plough

will be donating

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭max_power

mise freisin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭rag2gar

Wow how people are not chomping at the bit for tourneys like this is amazing

rag2gar wrote: »

Hopefully they become more common place over the coming years, but they won't if players don't get behind them.....I haven't had one email today to pre-register a player.

I have a potential sponsor that has contacted me after seeing this thread. In my proposal to them I have said that there will be a great amount of enthusiasm and support from students for this tournament.....I hope I'm not found out to be telling any pork pies.

We're talking about a €7 reg fee for a €26,000 prize-pool (with lots of added value), fully dealer dealt (probably), professionally run tournament in a 5 star hotel and conference centre ten minutes drive from Dublin city centre. Get the emails in please and get the word out there to get as many players involved in this as possible :)

stephen@pokerireland.ie - subject bar should read "pre-register for National Student Champs"....Then include your name and the name of your college/university.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭tipp86

Can you pay entry on the day?

rag2gar wrote: »

student poker championship

how many student poker players write regularly enough on boards to see this everyday>??
    how many student poker players, who write regularly on boards, will openly commit to playing a poker tournament in the immediate weeks leading up to, and during their more important college exams

considering that, im not sure what type of response was actually realistically expected

student poker championship

how many student poker players write regularly enough on boards to see this everyday>??
    how many student poker players, who write regularly on boards, will openly commit to playing a poker tournament in the immediate weeks leading up to, and during their more important college exams

considering that, im not sure what type of response was actually realistically expected

I was expecting a bit more support than some of the posts so far to be honest semi.... .... I know its close to some peoples exams but the majority are ok..... I'm sure we will get enough interest as soon as I start to annoy enough people into registering :).

You will definitely not be able to pay on the day.....If you want to set up a registration process now through your college society let me know.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Rossibaby

i am waiting for the dates for my exams to be announced,it will be in april sometime and i know of others who are in the same boat with projects aswell or whatever.its slightly too early for students to be committing to this though i know of a few with every intention to play;-)

Rossibaby wrote: »
    i am waiting for the dates for my exams to be announced,it will be in april sometime and i know of others who are in the same boat with projects aswell or whatever.its slightly too early for students to be committing to this though i know of a few with every intention to play;-)

Cheers,

Thats more like what we want to hear....I know its early days yet but we will be promoting the hell out of this tournament for the next two months now.....For the value involved I hope that students will make the effort, after all you can always repeat an exam (or not) but poker tournaments like this don't come along every day :)

Hi all,

Just wanted to let you know that we should be confirming the sponsor for this event by tomorrow afternoon.

Its going to be a fantastic tournament, pre-register now with stephen@pokerireland.ie

no offence was meant, just answering what i thought i was an obvious question

gl with it

no offence was meant, just answering what i thought i was an obvious question

gl with it

Cheers man, no offence taken at all.....I suppose I'm a bit touchy lately :)(just want to get this started off on a proper foot and it was a bit frustrating not being able to get a sponsor on board - but all that has changed now :))

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Lawless_Samurai

Just found out about this today and been talking with my friends about it and all seem very interested :D

One of my friends was wondering could he still enter though he'll be finished college by then??? He finishes middle of March

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭MickL

Just found out about this today and been talking with my friends about it and all seem very interested :D

One of my friends was wondering could he still enter though he'll be finished college by then??? He finishes middle of March

Cheers
    I imagine he should be alri :D:D

Advertisement