Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

24-01-2009, 15:20   #16
paulicove

www.coveyski.com

We would be delighted to get a mention on this site. Originally from Co. Mayo but based in Samoens France (just 1 hour transfer from geneva) we offer tailor-made winter hols, just book the flights we do the rest.
www.coveyski.com
Advertisement
19-02-2009, 05:46   #17
Mmmm_Lemony

Eastern Europe - Chirpa Chirpa Cheap Cheap!

Poland
Ryanair and aerlingus flights to Krakow, 2h15m+ transfer by bus

Krakow--
www.cracow-life.com
My favourite european city, excellent pubs and music clubs, lots of museums

Zakopane--
www.zakopane-life.com
http://szymoszkowa.pl/
Nice for beginners, ski instructors very friendly, but, very limited and not suitable for intermediate - advanced. Apres Ski is pretty good. (Polish staff in restaraunts etc can be pretty rude so take it with a pinch of salt)
For more advanced slope in the area try;
http://www.kasprowy-wierch.pl/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kasprowy_Wierch

Czech Republic
Ryanair and aerlingus to Prague, and again about 2-3hrs by bus (we rented a car for €15 a day so not entirely sure)

www.prague-life.com
Cheap wine, women and song

Giant Mountains
Rokytnice--
http://www.rokytnice.com/
Beautiful views, nice, scenic, intermediate skiing, quiet at night...
(Small little snow park with some jumps and rails)

Harrachov--
http://www.harrachov.cz/default-en.asp
Nice views and beginner/intermediate skiing, very family orientated. Dead at night! Sporthotel Harrachov is cheap and at the bottom of the main slope...

Spindleruv Mlyn--
(Main resort in giant mountains)
http://www.spindleruv-mlyn.com/en/
Great night life, great skiing, lots of jumps and tough runs (lots of snowboarders).
(Check out Domovilla for accomodation, I found them very cheap and friendly)

Slovakia
Ryanair to Poprad, or to krakow then across the border from zakopane...

Strbske Pleso
http://www.parksnow.sk/tatry/en/index.php
Conditions were very poor when I was here its fairly basic and it was very quiet at night. If conditions are poor in zakopane they are generally alot better here.

Starý Smokovec (No link)
As above

Chopok
http://www.ski-jasna.sk/
Going on the 3rd so I'll let you know...

Eastern Europe
Pros - Cheap, nightlife in certain areas is wild, for the most part locals are friendly, beer and food and spirits and equipment and beer is cheap... did i mention it is cheap? Great place to learn the basics without having to sell the car...

Cons - Conditions are not always the best, flight is mostly with ryanair, you may get browned off with the limited amount of runs available.
21-02-2009, 13:04   #18
edmund_f

Harrochov - no no no no - went there about two years ago, 2 runs, crap lifts, dead down in the town. Go anywhere else!

Jasna (Chopok) www.jasna.sk very cool little place - heading back on the 14th for our end of season St. Paddy's day sking!

East is very good if you expect to get what you pay for and are willing to go off the beaten track a little
17-10-2009, 23:28   #19
NMoore

I'd recommend Whistler - I was there last year, it was AMAZING!!!! Huge resort, tons of snow, English speaking (a first in a resort for me - I've been in resorts where they speak French, Spanish, Italian and Japanese, but to deal with everything through English was an unexpected pleasure...!), fab restaurants, i really couldn't reccommend it more. www.rideonwhistler.com (funny name, great people!) were awesome! You can even bungy jump at night (which was scary!) and go trampolining!
07-11-2009, 11:49   #20
behy

Sking gear

going Sking in france in december so bought all my gear on ebay. Got it all yesterday. Top stuff at Very cheap prices compared to all retail stores I had visited. Search for ... on ebay. more of my friends ordered from them last night after see what I got. Irish based company as well so fast shipping and supporting local business. Cant praise them enough

check em out

Last edited by robinph; 30-11-2009 at 10:59. Reason: removed links to the store your shilling for
Advertisement
30-11-2009, 11:08   #21
robinph

Send a message via ICQ to robinph Send a message via AIM to robinph Send a message via MSN to robinph Send a message via Yahoo to robinph Send a message via Skype™ to robinph
Added link to Fattes thread with information on buying ski boots to the first post.
16-01-2010, 00:46   #22
Mmmm_Lemony

http://www.neilson.co.uk/Compare-with-Another-Accommodation.aspx

Doesn't have 'every' hotel or pension but its handy when deciding on which package deal to take.
01-02-2010, 00:38   #23
keezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulicove View Post
We would be delighted to get a mention on this site. Originally from Co. Mayo but based in Samoens France (just 1 hour transfer from geneva) we offer tailor-made winter hols, just book the flights we do the rest.
www.coveyski.com

Great service, have used them in jan 2009, look foward to using ye again.

Tanks paul and gang
19-02-2010, 11:01   #24
Shiny
Milch Es!

I have tried to research this myself that last few evenings but it is
still not really clear.

Is it worth the extra money to rent premium equipment as opposed
to the standard equipment?

So far it seems that the premium gear has been worn less, has less
visible wear and tear, scratches etc.... The "newness" factor wouldn't
matter to me but if you definitely got boots that were of much higher
quality/comfort for example, then I would be tempted of course.

Feel free to delete this post and perhaps add the answer to the sticky?
Advertisement
12-03-2010, 19:41   #25
opinion guy
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny View Post
I have tried to research this myself that last few evenings but it is
still not really clear.

Is it worth the extra money to rent premium equipment as opposed
to the standard equipment?

So far it seems that the premium gear has been worn less, has less
visible wear and tear, scratches etc.... The "newness" factor wouldn't
matter to me but if you definitely got boots that were of much higher
quality/comfort for example, then I would be tempted of course.

Feel free to delete this post and perhaps add the answer to the sticky?

Absolutely 100% yes. The premium stuff is usually top notch, usually new. Personally I wouldn't waste my time renting the standard stuff
12-03-2010, 19:50   #26
robinph

Send a message via ICQ to robinph Send a message via AIM to robinph Send a message via MSN to robinph Send a message via Yahoo to robinph Send a message via Skype™ to robinph
But, there is no need for a complete beginnner to be spending the extra money to start off with. After you've been a few times you'll start to notice the difference between the skis more.
12-03-2010, 19:55   #27
opinion guy
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinph View Post
But, there is no need for a complete beginnner to be spending the extra money to start off with. After you've been a few times you'll start to notice the difference between the skis more.
Yeah maybe. But I wonder about that to be honest. I think starting out on stupidly soft boots and skis with zero torsion can only make it harder. Someone is tellign you to do your snow plow and put your downhilll ski on its edge but instead it just flattens out and you don't know any difference and just are getting frustrated. And if you learn quick you could certinaly be suffering the effects by the end of a week.
17-02-2011, 14:24   #28
dwiseman

Gear: Once you have been boarding or skiing you will know pretty quickly if its fr you and if it is you might look at purchasing your own gear as you progress.

Snowboard@ I have a burton custom X 158 which I was quoted around €680 to buy in snow and rock at the time. I ended up buying the same board on ebay and including shipping and taxes I go it for €320 from the states so it pays to shop around. I went for Flow NXT bindings as I like the way you can clip in coming off the chairlift without needing to sit down or stop if your path is clear!

Protection: Helmets are at your discression in most countries but its a no brainer really. Experience doesnt stop you falling, in fact if you dont take a few falls you probably aren't pushing yourself or progressing, that's just my opinion. Wrist gaurds are essential too for borders as broken wrists are the most common injury. Padded shorts or the rector protector as I have heard it called is great too, you will be glad of it if you take a fall in icy conditions!

Lessons: ski school can be fun for a bunch of friends to do together but a one on one lesson will take you alot further alot quicker, same way a grind would in comparison to being in a class. Alot of the instructors from ski school will be in local bars in the evening and there is always a deal to be done in regards to a one on one lesson, these guys needs to make a living too and are only more than happy to cut out the resort from the payment and do business with you directly, saving you money! So price a one on one lesson through the resort and then get bargaining that evening.
17-02-2011, 14:29   #29
opinion guy
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwiseman View Post
Protection: Helmets are at your discression in most countries but its a no brainer really.
....I see what you did there......
17-02-2011, 14:42   #30
dwiseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by opinion guy View Post
....I see what you did there......
I like your style...

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image