Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Netopia 2247 - Bridge Mode

Options
  • 21-01-2008 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭

I just got Eircom DSL and I want to configure the DSL modem into bridge mode so I can pass straight into my existing wireless router via ethernet cable & so not disrupt my existing home network (also I prefer my Linksys to the Netopia).

The user manual says the Netopia 2247 can be configured in bridge mode, but doesnt say how. Cananyone point me to a guide?

Also if I configure it as a bridge can I still access it via a direct ethernet connection to change settings if needed at a later date?

Finally I cant see anyway to save my Netopis configuration to a file, so I can restore at a later date if needed

Help much appreciated

thx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭tombrown

Bump ...

Should I address this to a different sub-forum? Appreciate any ideas on how I can progress on this

thx

• Registered Users Posts: 33,790 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Does your existing wireless router not have a DSL input in it so you can plug direct into the line rather than bridging it?

No - my previous service provider was a fixed wireless provider & that was delivered from the aerial on my roof via standard ethernet cable. So my lnksys box just uses ethernet on the WAN port - not DSL.

What is frustrating is that the netopis user manual says it can be configured in bridge mode ... but doesnt tell me how :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,790 ✭✭✭✭listermint

maybe some details here might point you in the right direction i.e port forwarding http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Netopia/2247-02/SlingBox.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

If you go into Expert Mode on the Netopia Page(http://192.168.1.254/) and select Connection there is an option to enable/disable bridging.

• Advertisement

Thanks Prisoner - it really was as simple as that :) I was looking for a complicated solution

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭pauly3

I had 2 Netopias, one connected to my DSL line and the other in bridge mode. This allowed me to extend my wireless network to the bottom of the garden!
    The routers were connected by an ethernet cable. I changed the SSID on the bridged router and could then see 2 SSIDs, one for each of the Netopias. In this way you can be sure which router is serving your data. Alternatively you can use the same SSID on the two and only one network will be visible. Using two SSIDs is very useful when determining signal strength in different locations about the house. I did not succeed in bridging the routers wirelessly, and if anyone has done this please post how!

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭stackeye

Pauly3

What router do you bridge, I have a Wireless Router connected to my DSL line in the back of my house, I also have an ethernet cable running to the front of my house, Can i put another wireless router at that end and setup bridging so I can have full coverage throughout the house?, I have 2 netopia routers from eircom, what router do I bridge?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭pauly3

Stackeye, yes you can bridge the router which is not connected to your DSL line. Connect one end of the ethernet cable to your DSL router and the other to the bridged one.
    It then becomes an access point, but remember to turn off DHCP on the bridged router so it does not try to allocate IP address to other clients, otherwise you may have conflicts. Go into Expert Mode and select 'Configure' , then 'Connection'. Turn on bridging. Then 'Advanced' where the first item is the option to disable the DHCP server.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

Hi all,

Sorry for dragging up and old post, but I'm trying to get bridging working on the Netopia router.

I enabled bridging and disabled DHCP on the Eircom router. Ran the Diagnostics and everything passed.

I then connect the Netopia to the internet port on a Linksys router.

I went into the config page of the Linksys router and I'm not sure how to configure it.

Under internet connection do I go to Static IP, DHCP or PPPOE?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

BEFORE HAND - make sure you have your username/password, etc. I think it's fixed for eircon, but best to be sure.

On the router, under HOME->Configure->WAN->ATM should be your connection info to the ISP.
    You probably have a line with VCC=1, VPI=5, VCI=35, or something similar - important bit is the Encapsulation probably set to "PPP over Ethernet". You need to set this to RFC-1483 Bridged Ethernet.
    This'll basically set it to get the DSL link, but do nothing with it.
    Make sure the interface in HOME->Configure->WAN->WAN IP Interfaces is disabled.
    At this point make sure you turn off everything else - uPNP, Firewall, NAT, etc.
    Save the settings and reboot.
    Now on DGL - set the PPPoE as your Internet options icon_e_smile.gif

Should be up and running now. Assign the PS3 a fixed IP, forward the ports, enable uPNP and away you go icon_e_smile.gif
    this was posted for someone in my clan, he was trying to do what your doing with 2247 and dgl router, might help ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

BOBBY wrote: »
    this was posted for someone in my clan, he was trying to do what your doing with 2247 and dgl router, might help ?

Thanks for the reply Bobby.

I followed the instructions, entered the PPPOE info on the Linksys config page but I couldn't get any internet connection :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Another question on this. I have a Netopia 2247 which I attached to a Netopia 3347 by ethernet, in order to try and boost the signal on my Internet radio. I turned off DHCP and put the 2247 in bridge mode as suggested. However , when I turn on the radio , while it can see both routers' ssid it will not connect to the 2247. I get the message "Port 80 connect failed, unable to load station list". Any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Frester

I was trying to bridge two routers but I accidentally turned bridging on on teh one that was providing internet! So now I have no interenet access and can't get into that page with expert mode to turn it off! Is there a way to turn it off?

ITS COOL! I FIXED IT BY HOLDING RESET! I don't know what I didn't think of that earlier!

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭illingworth22

Would I be right in saying that when you set the Modem to Bridge Mode it no longer acts ans a modem or is that wrong? I have a DLink DIR855 and would like to use that as the Rourer for my home network and keep the Xzytel (Eircom) modem as just a Modem. This will also let me connect my CCTV Recorder to the Bridged Modem and still have an internal WiFi Network.

If so has any one suggestions on Brdging the Eircom Router? Also which Router is the one to be set as Bridge? Do you then connect the second Router using its Lan or Wan port?
    Sorry to HiJack Thread :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

When the router/modem is put in bridge mode then the routing/firewall/wireless elements are rendered useless. The Dlink will then have to use PPPoE on it's WAN port as it is now effectively connected directly to the local exchange and is now responsible for handing on the username/password info for your broadband connection.

You will not be able to connect a 2nd device (e.g. your CCTV Recorder) to the modem. The CCTV Recorder would have to connect to one of the LAN ports on the Dlink.

bhickey wrote: »
    When the router/modem is put in bridge mode then the routing/firewall/wireless elements are rendered useless. The Dlink will then have to use PPPoE on it's WAN port as it is now effectively connected directly to the local exchange and is now responsible for handing on the username/password info for your broadband connection.

You will not be able to connect a 2nd device (e.g. your CCTV Recorder) to the modem. The CCTV Recorder would have to connect to one of the LAN ports on the Dlink.

So when the Instructions on the CCTV Manual say it needs to be connected to a Modem in Bridge mode, what dose this mean? I am just reading through the connection instructions (:confused::confused::confused::confused:)

So when the Instructions on the CCTV Manual say it needs to be connected to a Modem in Bridge mode, what dose this mean?

If that's the only way that the CCTV recorder will work (i.e if it will not work on a normal network) then that means you need another ADSL broadband connection for your CCTV recorder. That sounds odd though - have you read all of the manual?

bhickey wrote: »
    If that's the only way that the CCTV recorder will work (i.e if it will not work on a normal network) then that means you need another ADSL broadband connection for your CCTV recorder. That sounds odd though - have you read all of the manual?

Just printing off the FAQ's as we type. The booklet says "Set Modem to Bridge Mode" but looking at the instructions here is says I have to set up the Modem and Add/Select Virtual Server (Still :confused::confused::confused::confused:)

I am desparate because we were broken in to a few weeks back and I am totally paranoid :(

Well maybe you bought a CCTV system that requires direct access to its own broadband connection? That's a question for the maker or seller of the particular CCTV system. When you know your CCTV system's networking options then you can start to figure out how to put things together. Maybe if you post the CCTV make/model then someone here might know how they work.

• Advertisement
Advertisement