Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPod Touch Applications

Options
  • 02-01-2008 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭

I thought that it might be a good idea to start a thread which lists any good apps that people have come across for the Jailbreaked iPod Touch.

Just quickly flicking through my iPod, some of my better apps include:

ScummVM: It's a great emulator for the old LucasArts games. Monkey Island 1&2, Day of the Tentacle, Loom etc. The point and click nature of the games probably makes this the best suited emulator for the iPod Touch.

Tap Tap Revolution: A must for Guitar Hero addicts. Tap along to songs on your iPod and compare your scores to other users from around the world.

4Balls: Connect 4 with a devious enough AI and a 2 Player Option

iPhysics:
    A basic interactive physics engine for your iPod. If you haven't played it yet, check out the youtube vids and then download it.

I also have emulators for the NES and Gameboy Advanced which I'm sure have a lot of potential if I can find the right games for them. The controller interface on the iPod Touch for these emulators is a bit awkard and makes any game that requires quick reactions like MarioKart, for example, almost impossible to play. Can anyone give any decent ROMs recommendations?

I found some great sites that mimic the interface of an iPod app. Such as
    http://www.101cookbooks.com/iphonerecipes/
    http://www.widgetinfo.net/iphone/
    http://onetrip.org/
    http://mini.zoho.com/iZoho.jsp
    I know I can save these as bookmarks and get to them through Safari but is there any way that I can give them their own icons own the iPod Touch home panel?

Feel free to add any other cool apps you've found.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

might be an idea to do links like these to help people find these apps more quicklier :p

installer >> productivity >> iMatrix

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

Lads, links aren't good enough....you need to put up sources :)

Here's what I have....
    l_10d57bfba4c5a05f4f7d091946415e54.jpg
    l_8ab5d5fab210aa806f885793ba943843.jpg
    l_ab74ab9af3477718b322b2f08d078358.jpg
    l_2281e74a52488ce232a06b3be18dd922.jpg

Mr.S wrote: »
    how do you get the maps? i coudnt find it anywhere?

Add this source to the installer app.
    repo.us.to

Install the maps (possibly need to install the prep first)
    :)

cheers just installed:) thats a pritty sweet thing:D

Its great, I hope we can get the maps update like the 1.1.3 iphone firmware will have......and keep the jailbreak of course :)

It adds pins, and the hybrid view (both satellite and roads view) and a couple of small other things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭garytuohy

how do you get your icons so neat, as in have 5 per page...all mine clutter up and only add a new page when it is full...

TTR is great esp with the guitar hero mod...anyone got any other decent sources for nes games?

• Advertisement

garytuohy wrote: »
    how do you get your icons so neat, as in have 5 per page...all mine clutter up and only add a new page when it is full...

TTR is great esp with the guitar hero mod...anyone got any other decent sources for nes games?

There's an option in SMB (summerboard) to skip the last row on each page.
    Then in the customize app you can choose 5 apps in the dock (bottom row) and manually arrange the rest. (Note there can be problems getting customize to work on the touch, it just closed everytime I use to open it, then after about 5 times it opened properly and haven't had a problem since?, search the net and you'll find out how to get the right version though.)

Where can I get the guitar hero mod for ttr???? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭garytuohy

Cheers for that

I have the source at home, will post it once i get it

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Teg Veece

lafors wrote: »
    Add this source to the installer app.
    repo.us.to

Install the maps (possibly need to install the prep first)
    :)

When I include this source, the Google Maps Prep app that I get says "WARNING: Only download and install if you own an iPhone."

Does this rule out iPod Touch Users or is that message aimed at people who are trying to download the file onto a PC or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Dont worry about that warning - download away (you will get that will all the iphone apps)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

just a question. I am terrified of breaking the warranty by jail breaking, murphy's law and all that.

Are there any applications that you can load onto the touch with out jail breaking

• Advertisement

nanook wrote: »
    just a question. I am terrified of breaking the warranty by jail breaking, murphy's law and all that.

Are there any applications that you can load onto the touch with out jail breaking

Nanook, I know that there a lot of web apps that you don't need a jailbreaked iPod for (see the links in my original post above). However, you do need to be online to use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Kid Nothing

afaik as long as you fully restore your ipod before sending it back to apple for repairs, the warrenty stays.

Spot on there, once you don't bring it to say the o2 store and show them it, you're fine. Restoring the iPod brigns it back to it's original, out-of-the-box state, warranty and all.

@lafors: how good is iRadio? What stations can you pick up? and what exactly is Widget? Thanks

amull87 wrote: »
    Spot on there, once you don't bring it to say the o2 store and show them it, you're fine. Restoring the iPod brigns it back to it's original, out-of-the-box state, warranty and all.

@lafors: how good is iRadio? What stations can you pick up? and what exactly is Widget? Thanks

I got iRadio myself yesterday and I must say that it's definitely one of the better apps I have. You basically pick the decade which you want to hear music from and it offers you a whole list of stations to choose from. Once you've decided what one you want to go for, you just click it and your iPod starts streaming songs from online. Needs a Wi-Fi connection obviously but its great when you're sick of your music library and just want something different.

Teg Veece wrote: »
    I got iRadio myself yesterday and I must say that it's definitely one of the better apps I have. You basically pick the decade which you want to hear music from and it offers you a whole list of stations to choose from. Once you've decided what one you want to go for, you just click it and your iPod starts streaming songs from online. Needs a Wi-Fi connection obviously but its great when you're sick of your music library and just want something different.

Thats pretty much it.
    Its like shoutcast.

The Widget app is just for apple widgets, some work, some don't.
    I was just playing with them to see if there's anything decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭su_dios

Best app so far is MobileScrobbler. Check it here. Internet radio with bio info and sync with your last.fm account.

how would it work otherwise on a ipod touch?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭Brian017

Mr. S what is the name of that theme you've got?

Also how do you move the icons around (switch the iTunes and Safari icons, add a mail icon etc.)?

well it was made for the iPhone which has edge but it works with the touch aswel but only wifi.
    yeh i knew it worked over EDGE on the iphone but surely if you're running an iphone app on a touch you can't expect it to do features that require an internet connection to work without wifi?

i also thought you more saying that the internet radio of mobilescrobbler needed wifi to work, they actually reccommend this in the program itself as i'd say streaming would be a pain via EDGE.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Kid Nothing

Brian017 wrote: »
    Mr. S what is the name of that theme you've got?

Also how do you move the icons around (switch the iTunes and Safari icons, add a mail icon etc.)?

the option is in customise as "Icon Display Order"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Skybird

Good source on information Link

Wondering is there anyway to password protect a particular screen, [ie page 2,3] so that icons not messed up

snap_093214.jpg
    snap_121944.jpg
    snap_093541.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭Macspower

great stuff guys. I now have all the apps on my touch....

now can someone give me an idiots guide to getting the themes working... i have tried and tried but they are not changing

I haven't seen many nice themes at all. There ones called 'minimal' which is nice but exactly that! Nothing amazing that I've seen.

One thing that occurred to me the other day, if you lost or had your ipod stolen they have access to every single one of your emails offline via mail.app. Not very good! I love the mail app though and don't want to ge rid of it so I put on the screenlock for 1hour intervals. Would that be enough?

well that's the downside to using a POP mail account su_dios, is there anyway you could get a IMAP connection to your mail account?

IMAP allows the mail app to synchronize with your mail server so if you receive a new mail on the go and you read it on your ipod touch then when you get back to a computer and check your mail that email that your read on the move would be marked as read. also the mail app can be set to download only the last 50/25/xx/etc. messages which might be handy if you're concerned about your privacy.

what mail account are you using? gmail use IMAP if you set your language to English(US)

su dios, there is a way to put a passcode lock on the touch.
    Its in the settings menu, under general/passcode.

skybird you pics aint working

I think that I might have clicked an "Automatically Update My iPod" option when I was first setting the device up.
    Now if Firmware Version 1.1.3 gets released and I plug in my iPod, all my hard work in acquiring apps will be ruined.

Does anyone know where I can deselect this option in iTunes?

@ lafors, thanks for the list of apps. That iBlackjack one is way too addictive!

Cremo wrote: »
    well that's the downside to using a POP mail account su_dios, is there anyway you could get a IMAP connection to your mail account?

IMAP allows the mail app to synchronize with your mail server so if you receive a new mail on the go and you read it on your ipod touch then when you get back to a computer and check your mail that email that your read on the move would be marked as read. also the mail app can be set to download only the last 50/25/xx/etc. messages which might be handy if you're concerned about your privacy.

what mail account are you using? gmail use IMAP if you set your language to English(US)

I'm running gmail with Imap but I'm still able to access a lot more emails than I thought I should while having no wi-fi connection. I set it to only retrieve the last 25 but if you click on any of the folders it has more there too?

Also lafors I have the passcode activated for every 1 hour interval but wondering is that enough?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Skybird

lafors wrote: »
    su dios, there is a way to put a passcode lock on the touch.
    Its in the settings menu, under general/passcode.

skybird you pics aint working
    Do not want to Lock the itouch as such, with general password.
    I would like to lock particular screens, ie ones that have configurations/setups etc.
    Otherwise I would find it very hard to give it on load/test as all my setting could be messed up [by accident] when it was returned.

Also hope that pics are working now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Username!

Cool, works just like one of my favourite PC apps Tunatic - http://www.wildbits.com/tunatic/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

MobileScrobbler is my fave app by a mile. I've had a Last.fm account for a long time and any music I played on the go was never scrobbled. This app is excellent, if you are not connected to wifi it keeps track of what you played and scrobbles them next time you are connected.

Next fave app is FiveDice (a [SIZE=-1]Yahtzee clone[/SIZE]), can't stop playing it. So addictive and simple and you keep wanting to beat your previous best score :D

Most of the others I use are already mentioned. weDict is good if you need it. Lots of free dictionary's, thesaurus's and encyclopaedias for download from stardict.

Advertisement