Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

G&G GR300 Shorty Review

Options
  • 30-12-2007 12:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭

Got this on Christmas Eve or the Swedish Christmas day courtesy of my better half. It was one of 2 big presents, the second arriving on the Irish Christmas Day.. Yes I know i am a lucky bastard, thanks for muttering it.

So onto the review....

Yet again i will submit to the gods of review and talk about the friggen cardboard box...

I ripped off the christmas paper to have a sight to behold and like Balthasar when he looked in the nappy of Jesus and said 'Holy Sht' i had a similar experience (strangely, as it happens mine was wrapped in gold paper, go figure).
    The cover of the box shows the true beauty of this piece. Okay 4 lines is enough for a box onto the review...

The box (yes one more on the box) is strangely small and thats because the aeg is folded in it. when you pull this baby out you get a true feeling of what its like. Its all metal, well magnesiun tbh with not one single flaw anywhere, not a one, it actually looks like sheet plastic its that flat and its a great mixture of metal weight but light enough that your arms wont look like a knuckle dragger after 5 hours playing.

Receiver
    The body is your standard m4 configuration. It is a matt black colour. The selector thumb piece has a nice click effect for each mode. The grip is very strange, i, personally have never seen it before but it is very comfortable. It looks as if it shouldnt be as you have a shark fin effect but it fits well in the hand, in fact very well, with the shark fin fitting into the crease in your palm ensuring you have a great grip. Te grip has the same effect as the front but more on that later.

Stock
    The stock is the para stock and is as per all para stocks, a folding one. To fold you lift the stock out of the lock position, swing it around and lift and lock it again. It is full tube metal with a hard rubber rear. This is not positionable and is probably the only issue i can think of with this piece. Yes i know thats being picky but i genuinely cannot think of anything else that is wrong with it and knowing some of the moany gits we have here they wont believe this unless i complain about something. IF there is one thing i would change its the stock and i will probably change it to the sopmod one from G&G but i aint in any rush to do that as i like the folding mechanism. Everything i own m4 wise is crane stock or full stock based and thats where i like my batteries--namely hidden. IMHO, peq battery boxes should be in the underwear drawer of that guy from the show little britain. Now with a para stock and a battery, that is kinda difficult so that leads me to the foregrip

Fore Grip
    This part is pure pron on this aeg. its a raised design allowing maximum grip. To describe this: this is the m4 grip they have in the playboy mansion. It is very tough plastic, even though it doesnt look like it in the pictures. This is where the battery is. Now any foregrip i ever held that had a battery in it bulged like a 60 year old truck driver whose diet has been chips and batter chips with a extra small t shirt on. Not the pretties of analogies but very accurate. Now i know some have managed it, but my patience is simply not there to try octupus like to nudge connectors, while positioning the battery, while moving the grip while ensuring i wasnt catching the wiring, while getting the rear locking plate engaged, then putting the pin in...AND ONLY then getting no bulge. In fact i got so thick with one aeg i have i used my old favourite and gandalfs favourite joke material-- duct tape. not on this baby, no siree. this is the first fore grip that the designers actually stopped spending hours in toilets on their own with magazines and read some of the customer feedback and allowed plenty of space to get a battery in. to put the battery in, you slide the grip forward, you can take it off but i didnt need to. you then open the front of the grip slightly and slide it forward another bit, take the connector, put the battery in and slide it back into position. its a tight fit when back in position and the front grip wont move, but you can lock it in place with one of the bags of goodies G&G included, namely a front sling mount. so if you were worried it was all going to spill its guts (which it wont) you can screw the front sling point on it into the metal below. I dont use front sling points preferring the rear ones as i find them less likely to snag on my sofacam, er, i mean, acu gear. that the second sling point, it fits on the para stock and thats one of the other bags of goodies included.

Top rail
    The top rail is your usual pictinny rail or ris rail to you and me. on it is the rear sight but this gives this aeg its unusual look. it is placed mid way down the aeg. Now way way back when i was looking to buy this, i read somewhere that that is to allow you to use both eyes open with metal sights. Maybe it is, maybe it isnt, i care not a jot. you can move it if you like or you are more for the standard look. I will be putting a red dot on it anyways. The front sight can be removed with an allen key and included as another gift is a front sight adjustment tool. In all my time i have never modified a front sight, i tend to find the odd micro millimeter wont make me hit a barn door any better because basically i am a crap shot, God made full auto on aegs...for me, why fire one when you can fire 50? I will also be putting a lower rail on the front grip (it also has the holes available to do this as i will want a torch and a grip, but thats just me as i am a bit of a RIS/RAS whore. M4's are about accessories. I dont need lasers (yes i know they are illegal, thanks, i dont even need a torch, i dont need IR illuminators, or red dots but i want them. it doesnt matter about applicability its about m4's.

The flash hider is the knights industries type that is common today but looks good on this aeg, come to think of it it looks good on all m4's but i digress.

Magazine
    yes its a hi cap and yes i still hate them but my better half doesnt so she will acquire this G&G goodness...it is also a biggie hicap..400+ rounds. I have a few G&G mags and i have never had a feeding issue yet, i dont expect i will with this either. I have fired only a few rounds as i have not got the chance yet to even check the hopup. As with all G&G and i have 3 others, there is a real meaty sound when you fire. The rof is high and these aeg's only accept 9.6v. It says on the box somewhere or the manual that it can take a 12v but i certainly dont believe i would risk that but it might allow me to go lipo battery mad at some point and see what all the fuss is about.

So there you have it, this is a stunning piece of kit. I will also review the G&G scar next as that was christmas present 2 (jealous, you fecken should be!). I would add something else as i think it needs to be mentioned here. Normally in ireland, you get ripped off...its just one of those things we all suck up every day, everything in ireland uses the excuse, 'ah sure jaysus, we is an island and shipping is fierce costly'. you get it on magazines (the paper ones) to cars. Well i can honestly say this aeg is a glaring exception to this and i know because 2 of the other aegs from G&G came from uncompany and wgcshop. This aeg, came from eirsoft. The price difference, as far as i can see is next to bugger all...10 or 20 euro and then maybe. Check it out yourself if you like and this is from someone who buys a lot from HK. Keep in mind the shipping cost and if customs get you and they will...you could actually wind up paying more then eirsoft. I truly dont know how Shiva is making money on these but God bless him for it and get them while they are hot would be my recommendation. I know if my visa card was not melting from the Christmas pressure, i would get another, why, because i truly dont believe it can last, thats why.

So there you have it, a piece of art coming soon to a HRTA near you.

looks (flawless IMHO) 5/5
    Quality 5/5
    Accuracy will test and update
    Cost: ask santa or shiva (i am barred from looking)

finally, there is one other tool, a barrel locking tool included. you can swap the barrels if you want and i might do that at a later date, visa permitting.

Finally a big thanks to my better half for this....and no you cant borrow it!!

I have included 1 picture but i will add more as it doesnt do it any justice.

Folded

DSCF0100.jpg

Comments

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement