Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

First '08 car today, is it legal?

Options
  • 27-12-2007 12:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,738 ✭✭✭

Saw a '08 reg car today on the N4. How is that possible and is it legal?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Garages will have already been assigned registration numbers....the car is most likley not legally registered, but then again no car is until it has been processed and the VRC sent to the 1st owner. This doesn't happen immedietely when the car is driven off the forecourt.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

maybe there was a trade plate on it aswell?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭Silvera

I too suspect that the car was being moved using trade plates (most likely just placed on the dashboard and not properly displayed ...Trade Plates are supposed to be placed inside front and rear windows) and the car was being moved to another dealer's premises.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,738 ✭✭✭degsie

Silvera wrote: »
    I too suspect that the car was being moved using trade plates (most likely just placed on the dashboard and not properly displayed ...Trade Plates are supposed to be placed inside front and rear windows) and the car was being moved to another dealer's premises.

The car had the plates fitted as normal, not as you described. The car drew attention to itself as it was flyin' along. Someone was showing off is my guess :o

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I'm sure it did Degsy but the other posters are putting forward the suggestion that as well as the 08 plates in the usual places, that it had trade plates in the windows aswell. Perhaps just the front one (Even though you must have 2) and you couldn't see it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Are you sure it wasn't a 06 plate with a strategically placed screw?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,738 ✭✭✭degsie

Deffo a 08 D reg, clear as day. I saw the rear reg and there was no second reg plate in the rear windscreen, can't vouch for the front. Just caught my eye, that's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,800 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Any chance of a pic before next Tuesday? :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Was it a Tardis?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I recall a guy a couple of years ago who had the new year plate on his car on the 27th of December. He was stopped by the Garda and had to re-reg his car back in the old year.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Was it a delorean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

faceman wrote: »
    Was it a delorean?

Post of the day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

08D number plate'd car on the road today???

Shudda gone to specsavers ! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,956 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Max_Damage wrote: »
    Are you sure it wasn't a 06 plate with a strategically placed screw?
    I can't see how sex could have anything to do with it! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,004 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I can't see ...:confused:
    Shoulda stopped earlier! ;)

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

Yeah i would agree, it would have the trade plates as well as the 08 plate.I wouldnt think they would risk it without the trade plates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭irishpartyboy

degsie wrote: »
    Saw a '08 reg car today on the N4. How is that possible and is it legal?

It's likely the garage owner was taking her for a spin before handing keys over to customer - with trade plates displayed up front.

Good sig OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭MarkN

All depends on dealer.

I know of a man who took delivery of his 2007 RS4 in late Dec last year and it was kept in a private garage.

I was offered my S3 in late 2006 but it was on condition that I had somewhere to lock it up and I didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,261 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Years ago, I heard of the motor tax office in Cork checking peoples odometers as they registered them in the first week of January. Some were queried with 1,000+ miles on the clock.

Car owner: "Oh, I was up in Belfast yesterday."
    Motor tax official: "And the RUC allow people drive around with no registration plate?"
    Car owner: "Erm .............".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

Victor wrote: »
    Years ago, I heard of the motor tax office in Cork checking peoples odometers as they registered them in the first week of January. Some were queried with 1,000+ miles on the clock.

Car owner: "Oh, I was up in Belfast yesterday."
    Motor tax official: "And the RUC allow people drive around with no registration plate?"
    Car owner: "Erm .............".

A neighbour of mine bought a big ass 180hp tractor, used it for a year (on the road) and then finally registered it and sold it a few months later as nearly new etc...

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

Good sig OP.

+1 CLASS!!

Advertisement