Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[PR] New Bus Éireann route 109A DCU − Airport − Ratoath − Dunshaughlin &#8722

Options
  • 15-12-2007 3:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭

New Timetable: Route 109A - Published - 14th December 2007

Bus Éireann wishes to advise customers of a new route, 109A which will operate as follows: D. C. U. − AIRPORT − RATOATH − DUNSHAUGHLIN − NAVAN.

Service effective from 16 December 2007.

Please click here for timetable information.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

A potentially excellent service totally blighted by the absence of ANY such desirable stuff as a Bus Eireann Stop or any route/timetable information at the DCU terminus....In fact currently its a floating terminus as the Bus Eireann drivers attempt to divine where their employer actually wants the service to operate from.

In a nutshell...Great Potential IF its managed effectively :):):)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 mrmldy

iv tried to get it twice, was 20 mins late going in (i was getting on at ratoath so that was to be expected despite the fact it this was at 9.25 not rushour) and another morning i waited 25mins but gave up when a 103 came along.
    tried to get it back from dcu and got the flu because i waited for an hour in the rain for it, and when got a lift home eventually i saw it coming to dcu, over an hour late.
    overall it is a great service, relaly convieniant for me as i go to dcu, however i don't know if i'll actually be able to use it was its so unpredictable!! people can't wait around for a hour for a bus, they need to manage it better so that i will run on time,
    the time that i got it there was just me and another man who got off at the airport, so more people will have to use otherwise it will be discontinued, which i hope it doesn't so long as they manage it better.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

I have been observing this route very closely since it began.
    My observations have been of rather good punctuality from the Ballymun Road "Terminus".
    Its 20 minutes past the hour mostly and I remain impressed with the accuracy of the departures I have been monitoring.

However....The major problem remains the complete absence of any marked Terminus.
    The only Bus Eireann documentation visible is a small timetable sheet taped to the Bus Atha Cliath Stop adjacent to Matt Weldon`s,formerly The Slipper.

It appears that some enterprising Bus Eireann driver used some black insulating tape to secure the sheet and its now beginning to peel,so bring your own.

Whilst some of the BE drivers hold back at the Esso Service Station/Tennis Club others proceed directly to The Slipper.
    This Could very well lead to confusion and to pasengers missing a departure if they waited at the lower end of Ballymun Road.

The 109A has the capability to become a very attractive service indeed but without it`s operator displaying a small bit of interest I fear the worst... :(

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

So Irish, so Ireland, so Irish 21st century, so public transport in 21st century in Ireland.
    In a nutshell...Great Potential IF its managed effectively smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

Eh...Alek....we don't do management here, despite your obvious correct sentiments.
    tried to get it back from dcu and got the flu because i waited for an hour in the rain for it, and when got a lift home eventually i saw it coming to dcu, over an hour late.
    overall it is a great service, relaly convieniant for me as i go to dcu, however i don't know if i'll actually be able to use it was its so unpredictable!! people can't wait around for a hour for a bus, they need to manage it better so that i will run on time,

"Unpredictable" is the buzz word for planning public transport in Dublin. Its the latest craze. It makes perfect sense to those planning it (oopps, nearly f**ked up there) I meant those "scheduling" it.
    However....The major problem remains the complete absence of any marked Terminus.
    The only Bus Eireann documentation visible is a small timetable sheet taped to the Bus Atha Cliath Stop adjacent to Matt Weldon`s,formerly The Slipper.

It appears that some enterprising Bus Eireann driver used some black insulating tape to secure the sheet and its now beginning to peel,so bring your own.

How very very sad. Its an example of how bonkers its all gone. Where O where are management? Do they leave the enclave of stupidity? Have they ever left it? Do they even know what they are meant to do in 21st century Ireland? No?.....perhaps?
    The 109A has the capability to become a very attractive service indeed but without it`s operator displaying a small bit of interest I fear the worst... frown.gif

Right again Alek. A DTA could solve the problem for them. But considering the "dithering" do any of us hold any real hope that a "transport czar" can be created by the motely crew of managers and politicians who regularly decide what is apparently best?

I know my answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

This is Bus Eireann, a large state owned monopoly with no incentive to try harder and people are here wondering why they don't make the effort?

You shoulds come to Cork and see what kind of a "service" they provide down here. To say it is appalling would be very kind indeed.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

E92 wrote: »
    This is Bus Eireann, a large state owned monopoly with no incentive to try harder and people are here wondering why they don't make the effort?

You shoulds come to Cork and see what kind of a "service" they provide down here. To say it is appalling would be very kind indeed.:mad:

I don't think that's true. BE have come on in leaps and bounds over the last five or six years. Buses, timetables, Busaras Dublin, online booking and the staff in general are generally fantastic.

BE in Cork, on the other hand, seem to be a different breed but then again, it always was a daft idea asking an intercity city coach company to operate a town service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

markpb wrote: »
    BE in Cork, on the other hand, seem to be a different breed but then again, it always was a daft idea asking an intercity city coach company to operate a town service.

Well I've only experience with this large state owned monopoly in Cork, perhaps they are better in Dublin.

They certainly have no interest in providing anything even of remotely high standard down here. I mean what's the point in having a timetable if the buses aren't going to run, leave early, or leave late(which are frequent occurances in Cork)?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭trellheim

Yes.. they've come on in leaps and bounds so big they can't even accept Rail tickets from their sister company when it has derailed trains.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

Legally they're separate companies so they can't accept IR tickets without a previous agreement which must also say how much IR are going to pay them. IR goofed here, not BE.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,250 ✭✭✭✭Victor

lol :(

http://www.buseireann.ie/site/news_centre/press_centre.asp?action=view&news_id=612
    Bus Éireann Launches New Direct Service Linking Navan, Dublin Airport & DCU under Transport 21

Monday January 21st 2008

Bus Éireann will today launch the first new service in the Eastern region under Transport 21 – the new 109A service connection Navan with Dublin Airport and Dublin City University.

The new service will be officially launched by Transport Minister Noel Dempsey TD and Bus Éireann Chief Executive, Tim Hayes at the Newgrange Hotel, Navan at 14.30hrs.

The service operates hourly in both directions with a total of 34 daily departures seven days a week.

Bus Éireann spokesperson Erica Roseingrave said: “Under Transport 21, Bus Éireann is introducing around 235 new vehicles into the fleet. These new vehicles will enable us to improve existing services for our customers, and to introduce new services, such as this one for which there is strong local demand.”

The service provides a direct and frequent connection between Navan, Ratoath, Dunshaughlin, Dublin Airport and DCU.

She stated: “By providing a direct and frequent link between Dublin Airport and Navan, the new service will broaden access to historic Co Meath and open it up to new tourism opportunities. It will improve practical access for students to DCU, making going to College easier and more affordable. For commuters, working in the College or Airport campus, it means they can now reduce their carbon footprint by availing of public transport to get to and from their workplace. Holiday makers can leave their cars at home and take the green option to the airport and in doing so, avoid parking charges.”

She added: “So far, take-up of the service has been very good. It has proved popular with people going to the airport, whether to catch flights or for work (approximately 4,000 people work on the airport campus) as well as students going to college. A direct, frequent and affordable service like this encourages people to leave their cars at home and get onto public transport, which is our main aim.”

The earliest service from Navan departs at 05.00hrs with departures operating until 21.00hrs. Services from Dublin Airport to Navan operate from 06.20hrs until 22.20hrs.

The service is operated by new, high specification, wheelchair accessible single deck commuter coaches, which have been introduced into the Bus Éireann fleet under Transport 21.

Fares from Navan to Dublin Airport/DCU Fares are as follows:

Adult Single/Return €10.30/€13.70 Student Single/Day Return €8.10/ €13.10

A host of new and improved services will be introduced by Bus Éireann in Co Meath this year. Service improvements due in 2008 include:

• A new 15 minute all day frequency on the 109 Navan Dunshaughlin Dublin route

• A range of service improvements for Ratoath, Ashbourne and Duleek

• Expansion of the Navan - Drogheda service to serve Trim, with more daily services.

• Timetable improvements on the Athboy, Trim Dublin service, including additional later services.

-ENDS-

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Nostradamus

markpb wrote: »
    I don't think that's true. BE have come on in leaps and bounds over the last five or six years. Buses, timetables, Busaras Dublin, online booking and the staff in general are generally fantastic.

Cork and Limerick city services aside, BE are without any doubt the best of the CIE companies. Buses are always spotless clean inside and out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

Cork and Limerick city services aside, BE are without any doubt the best of the CIE companies. Buses are always spotless clean inside and out.

Yeah, that's one whopping huge aside (and you can probably add Galway city services too).

A number of people should have lost their jobs by now over the state of those services alone. Some of them are of course in Leinster House rather than in BE management.

Advertisement