Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Level of interest for student tournament in Waterford?

Options
  • 14-12-2007 2:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭

I'm currently in talks with our society sponsors to try and organise a tournament in Waterford in the middle of January/early Febuary. I hope for the event to be a well structured, professionally run and great value Freezeout tournament with the possibility of having teams play for additional prizemoney and I can confirm that there will be at least €2,000 added to the overall prizepool with a very reasonable chance of more being added if we can secure big numbers (>100)

I know that the student tournament schedule is saturated with events for 2008, but I'm hopeful that it will be a slick tournament run over two days in a city centre hotel with easy access to everything Waterford has to offer. As I work in the hotel, I can also secure very favourable room rates for all that travel to ensure that it'll be a reasonably priced trip for anyone that plays.

The event would be a mid week event, Ideally Wednesday and Thursday during college term. This means you'll have to miss two days of lectures, but from what I can gather, colleges are fairly understanding of students going to represent them in events.

I can't confirm what the buy-in would be, but the upshot would be that we need to cover around 75% of our costs through registration fees, with the rest coming from our society funds. To hazard a guess, the overall buyin wouldn't be more than €50.

To my knowledge, Poker Ireland's event isn't on until late February, so hopefully this event will serve as a great complement to it.

If you're a member of a society, please forward your committee members to this thread so I can get feedback and gauge interest in the event.

Cheers,
    Adam
    WIT Poker Soc Chairman
    086-3769958

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

I can nearly guarantee a team from UCD.

We dont have a soc...which is well documented here.... but we have a group of players.

Slash/ed, myself and Tommy Gunne are all more than likely in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

does it have to be intervarsity?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭dK1NG

There was an "intervarsity" in UL recently with 5 teams - 3 from UL and 2 from Cork.:eek:

Tbh, would you have enough time to organse everything/ give notice etc etc with only a few wks? NSPC aint too far off either, and was Big Slick talking about organising a student game as well?? Might be better off waiting a bit longer before organising this. Closer to the Summer, but not too close to exams?

Anyhow, best of luck with it!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

No, it doesn't. In fact any team event that we run will only form a small part of the event. Most likely, anyone who wants to form a team will compete for extra prize money but this would be totally optional.

I'll edit my main post to reflect this.

NSPC is on in late February, or at least that's the latest word I've heard. BigSlick were talking about running a similar event, but unless they've made serious progress with their plans (it involved a series of satellites being run in each college to the main event), I doubt it will go ahead this semester

. Also, BigSlick will be the ones who run this tournament, ensuring that it'll be well run :)

Regarding the issue of time, if the event is held in late January, or early February, I have more than a month to solidify the plans and liase with the various clubs and societies.

I only used the "Inter-varsity" term liberally and have since amended my original post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

DCU have exams in last 2 weeks of january

• Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭dK1NG

BigSlick will be the ones who run this tournament, ensuring that it'll be well run :)

Always good to hear!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Shadowless

Saw this yesterday but didn't have time to respond properly. DCU exams are on from the 14th to 25th of January. Lectures have finished today for Christmas and won't start up again until 4th February. We will try our best to send a team down and I will get the word out as best I can as soon as you have a date confirmed but obviously we can't guarantee huge numbers.

As far as the tourney itself goes it sounds fantastic, and we're definitely interested it's just the timing that could be an issue!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭RedJoker

Finished college for the Christmas break so won't be able to get accurate numbers until next term. We had a good laugh at the UL tourney so we should be able to get o.k. numbers. I've linked the rest of the committee to this thread in the mean time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

We'll deffo be encouraging a good few DIT members down to play this!! Keep us updated on dates, entry etc... :D

Our tourney is confirmed for 19th Jan just so ya know!

• Advertisement

This is looking more like a mid-March tournament now. I don't want to hold the event too close to the NSPC as I don't want the two to conflict with one another. I also don't want to systematically exclude colleges who still have exams in late January.

By pushing back the date a bit, it gives us more time to get organised and promote the event which should lead to bigger numbers and therefore more added money.

Advertisement