Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Years Eve

Options
  • 22-11-2007 11:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

I've got a friend coming over for New Year and he's staying in Dublin New Years Eve. He's asked me where are some decent places to go, where he's likely to get ripped off (price of beer, entry fee, etc.) and where he's not going to get ripped off.

I haven't got a clue, being a family man these days, so can anybody give any help ... or any warnings ?!?!

Cheers ...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

vodkasoda wrote: »
    can anybody give any help ... or any warnings ?!?!

Cheers ...

Stay at home and pop a few bottles of bubbly. I'm serious. St Patricks day and New Years eve are the two worst days in Dublin to hit town. Overpricing, lack of taxis, fights, overinduglence and general rowdyness. Tell him to hit town any other night, the 3rd or 4th of Jan will be great. I have always found town to be fantastic a few days after new years.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

NYE is rubbish in town.
    Lots of places close down, and transport can be a nightmare getting home.
    I think there's still a few places on Camden St that would be lively (The Village etc..)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭traceybere

best place would be your local - town is a night mare :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭JMCD

Last NYE was my first in town and in all honesty to me It felt like an over-rated,over-priced average saturday night your best bet would be probably organise a party with your friends and family and have a good time there or if you really wanted to head out the local would be the best option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

totally agree. tell your friend the best place to be in dublin on new years eve is anywhere but dublin

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

New Years eve in Dublin has always been crap,I am not sure why but nowhere has ever pushed the boat out.I must have spent 4/5 New years eves in a row in Liverpool,I could never understand why Dublin is so crap that night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

if you were a real friend you'd hit him a slap and ask him to wake up and stay put, Dublin's a complete ****ing kip this night unless in the company of friends and family at home. End of story.

I would also agree with the Paddy's day **** as well. This one I was at to being out the night before and slept right through, couldn't be bothered.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭vodkasoda

Thanks everybody for your upbeat messages :rolleyes: !!! Are you all visiting from the "Doomlords" forum :D ?!?!?

Maybe I didn't make myself clear, I am not in Dublin, nowhere near it these days, and my friend is not coming over to see me, he is coming over to spend The New Year in Dublin ... he has accommodation booked, in the City Centre, and therefore travel is not a problem.

Sitting indoors with friends, fireplaces, champagne or Christmas trees is also not an option, he asked me where he will or won't get ripped off by unscrupulous landlords or clubs. I cannot believe that, as one of you has said, NYE is just like any Saturday night ... when I worked in the City last year we used to go to a club occasionally and admission price was a fiver or tenner ... what will that be on NYE, at least double or treble, I'm willing to bet, in 90% of places !!!

Can anybody give me any helpful advice that I can pass on to him about which clubs charge outrageous admission charges, which places put their prices up as midnight approaches, which pubs are likely to have a decent atmosphere and any generally useful information ?!?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

New years is the biggest anti-climax ever.In work,we have a choice of having Xmas Eve or New Years Day off.I prefer having xmas eve off.NYE and NYD are just normal days in the calendar.

However,if the OP is really serious about going somewhere decent,The Porterhouse in Nassau Street is the best NYE I spent.That was back in 2001-2002 when it used to be Judge Roy Beans.

I'll happily work NYD,

5,4,3,2,1......Happy Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭vodkasoda

blackbelt wrote: »
    New years is the biggest anti-climax ever.In work,we have a choice of having Xmas Eve or New Years Day off.I prefer having xmas eve off.NYE and NYD are just normal days in the calendar.

However,if the OP is really serious about going somewhere decent,The Porterhouse in Nassau Street is the best NYE I spent.That was back in 2001-2002 when it used to be Judge Roy Beans.

I'll happily work NYD,

5,4,3,2,1......Happy Tuesday.

Thank you blackbelt, I will pass this on to him, there's a Porterhouse in Bray that's a nice place, if this is associated then I'm sure the food will be decent if nothing else ...

• Advertisement
Advertisement