Buying from Halfords - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

22-11-2007, 17:36   #1
buildabong

Buying from Halfords

Bought myself a new Carrera Vulcan today from Halfords (most bikes are discounted btw), and the guy said I can have it immediately or wait a week for the complete assembled bike.
So being the brave person I am I decided to assemble it myself (Also the bikes on the floor looked like they were assembled by drugged monkeys) - I was expecting to have to put together the entire bike, not so at all. All I had to do was connect the handelbars, put the peddals on and the wheels, took me about an hour (Plus I was being supper carefull not to scratch my new baby). All with a set of Allen keys and a number 15 spanner.

The people infront of me all chose Halfords staff to setup there bikes
-- end of my 2c worth --
Advertisement
22-11-2007, 18:08   #2
E@gle.

whats the point of this post?
22-11-2007, 18:16   #3
kona

good man round of applause!!! takes me 15mins to asemble a bike from a box....prob 10 on somthing decent like that.you seem to have nothing better to do with your time. unlike the people in the que, good luck with your guarantee,

now are the forks on the right way??are the disc brakes balanced??do the gears shift?? have you set the limits???have you torqued the crank nuts??? and why did you need a 15mm spanner on a carrera vulcan???

why the hell would a sane shop assemble a display bike to a sale standard???sure youd spend you whole day adjusting things after people have a lil poke and click(which in turn would lead to ppl on boards complaining bout the amount of time halfords need to assemble a bike).........i hate clickers, what the hell use is changing gears on a bike that is on a stand???
22-11-2007, 18:16   #4
buildabong

If you buy from Halfords dont wait a week, get the bike the same day and assemble it yourself. Dont be afraid of doing it yourself.
semi pointless post. Anyhoo

EDIT: not V friendly folk on this side of boards (this is my first post in cycling) - guess I'll stick to the other side!!!
kona - 15mm spanner is for the peddals - guess you just use your ego to tighten things.

Last edited by buildabong; 22-11-2007 at 18:28.
22-11-2007, 18:39   #5
kona

a proper 15mm spanner is too wide to tighten a pedal sufficiently actually
unless you used a e30 pedal spanner(dont think so)
or
a ****ty cut-out piece of steel.

and with a post like that what do you expect??.....people to go
hold the phone call nasa, this guy is a pioneer, hes almost as good a engineer as brunel???
what did you what to achieve.....you basically came on and bad mouthed a shop that you seemed to have gotten a good deal in?? why didnt you tell the mechanic or sales man he was a drugged up monkey???

make sure those pedals are marker L and R and you put the R in the right hand crank...(the one with gears), and make sure those pedals are tight, if not bye bye guarantee

and no your ego is enough to tighten them enough tbh
Advertisement
22-11-2007, 18:57   #6
Scrivo

> Kona, where do you get off defending Halfords? They offer poor quality bikes at not incredible prices and the other poster was not far off in describing the shop assitants. They have no clue. Have been in many times asking for basic things furrels and gear cable outer for example. The guy had no clue what a furrel was and gave me brake cable outer!

True the post is pointless, but get back in your foul mothed box when it comes to defending Halfords.
22-11-2007, 19:54   #7
rubadub

Quote:
Originally Posted by kona View Post
why the hell would a sane shop assemble a display bike to a sale standard???
Gives a good impression to potential buyers, especially those who might not be aware of reasons not to. How are they to know what quality of assembly to expect, a shoddy display bike does nothing for your shop. Also I imagine most of the display bikes will eventually be sold so it will have to be adjusted at some stage, so why not now?

I think the point of this is that even an inexperienced person is able to assemble a bike themselves, some will not buy online since they fear the assembly side. Others might have left halfords as they needed the bike right away and were told they must wait a week.

I am sure if there are any problems he can go back and have it fine tuned.

Quote:
i hate clickers, what the hell use is changing gears on a bike that is on a stand???
They might never have used one before, and want to get the feel for it, I do not like clickers that are hard to press or need a really deep press. I see more reasons to try it out than people who kick car tyres.
22-11-2007, 19:58   #8
roadmanmad

I periodically made a pilgrimage to Halfords. Only to re-assert that my local shop is technically more competent, offers a better bike which he effectively gives excellent service on and he is local.

Any serious roadie will be friends with his mechanic. The small shops are far more competitive than the average punter realises.

Support them if you want to keep them.

Today i am the proud owner of bike number 7 which is steel frame racer 501, 700c wheels, huge frame, and about 20 years old, with rust dying to break out under the paint. All for 50 euro. You may ask why I would want 7. This last one is to replace one that has become unrepairable.

These bikes, I describe, as sacrifice bikes, these get all the dirty rotten spins that I have to take. It will last 5 years max. The bontrager tyres I took from my personnal stocks (only 2k milles on them) are more varuable than the bike.

for the record.
Racers x 4(from good to absolute crap)
Hybids x 3(all mediocre 2)
22-11-2007, 20:01   #9
Slunk

Just out of interest how much was the bike. Was looking at a Carrera bike a while ago. Could have beenthe subway 2 though. Cheeers
Advertisement
22-11-2007, 20:03   #10
copacetic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrivo View Post
> Kona, where do you get off defending Halfords? They offer poor quality bikes at not incredible prices
thats rubbish tbh, the service may be erratic but they have many award winning bikes such as the carerra subway commuter, the fury mountain bike and the entire boardman range, generally the prices are incredible too. eg the subway 8 with nexus hub for only slightly more than the hub costs as a part. you clearly don't have a clue what you are talking about...
22-11-2007, 20:36   #11
kona

Quote:
Originally Posted by copacetic View Post
thats rubbish tbh, the service may be erratic but they have many award winning bikes such as the carerra subway commuter, the fury mountain bike and the entire boardman range, generally the prices are incredible too. eg the subway 8 with nexus hub for only slightly more than the hub costs as a part. you clearly don't have a clue what you are talking about...
totally agree.

btw its nt just halfords i defend from mindless bollox.

every1 loves to hate halfords...the fact of the matter is halfords do good bikes at good prices....you find me a place not online where youl gett a kona for under e500??
i think this thread should get locked coz its full of ****
22-11-2007, 21:59   #12
Don1

Send a message via MSN to Don1
I bought my Saracen Mantra 1 (I am aware I should have bought something better) from Hallfords and brought it home to assemble as they were mental busy. Encountered a "problem" brought it back a few days later and they tidied it up. Gears then seemed to be wrong. Brought it back and they were fixed too, as were the brakes. Not one mention of guarantee problems.
22-11-2007, 22:09   #13
Sean02

Halfords

"Drugged monkeys" How could any self respecting person stoop so low as the refer to anyone in such a way. Builtabong post should never have got past moderator. I've only visited Halford's on a few occasions and found the staff to be extremly helpful and courteous.
22-11-2007, 22:25   #14
copacetic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean02 View Post
"Drugged monkeys" How could any self respecting person stoop so low as the refer to anyone in such a way. Builtabong post should never have got past moderator. I've only visited Halford's on a few occasions and found the staff to be extremly helpful and courteous.
posts don't get 'past' the moderator, except on premodded forums which very few of the forums here are. they can't be expected to read every post either. that's why there is a report post button, if you feel a post is out or order, report it to bring to a moderators attention.

No-one has reported any posts on this thread, including yourself.
23-11-2007, 00:20   #15
Bluefoam

Halfords do the GT iDrive 5 for €1200. Its an absolute bargain!!!

They also do a basic service contract for €25/annum which is great for basic stuff.

They also have plenty of good stock - like maxis high rollers for reasonable prices.

If I need anything serious I go to Bikerack for service and order on CRC for price & range...

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion