Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fake Compact flash extreme IV cards

Options
  • 19-11-2007 10:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭

Hey
    Just thought id let you know whilst shopping on ebay last week i bought an official 4Gb sandisk extreme IV compact flash from a user called miss memory card.Price was 29.99 (sterlings) and her listing appear is capitals.After inspecting card it turned out to be a fake.So i thought id warn you as i wouldnt want anyone to go through what iv had to go through
    So keep a look out people.:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,186 ✭✭✭kensutz

I bought a 4GB Memory Stick Duo Pro and it was genuine from her.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭elven

How did you figure out it was a fake? I always wonder what the difference would be, to the naked eye...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

well firt i googled the serial number and after searching loads of forums i found a spanish one listing this serial as a extreme II and the cd with it was meant to be data recovery it turned out to be a driver for a webcam which bears no resembleance to any items sandisk makes the final straw was the large bubble under the sticker which on a top of the range car from sandisk im sure they wouldnt make an error like this.I am going to email sandisk to find out if it is fake by sending them the serial numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Dwilly

Same thing happened to me. Apparently around 95% of Sandisk eBay cards are fake! :eek:

Card was really slow and had the telltale sharp top corners on the aluminium sticker..

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭bradnailer

I bought one on eBay last Dec to shoot a wedding, during the summer I couldn't upload all the shots I'd taken from any session thought it was my software re-installed everything, finally copped it that it was the card. Bought a new one from a photo store in Majorca very little difference between the fake and original, I think there was a serial No. missing along the edge on the fake:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

ebay have actually posted information to identify the real ones from the fake, they sent me a message a few months ago about the increasing numbers of dodgey cards and how to spot them.,

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭whiteshadow

ahhhh nuts.. i just realised the 4 4GB cards i bought a few months ago are all fake...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

You should only buy from known trusted sources.

For great prices on memory, check out 7dayshop

Ebay can be great, but it can also be very dodgy. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭quilmore

I have a fake 4gb sandisk extreme III
    it has the same write and read speed as specified by sandisk (for the "original")
    I know it's fake, but it works as well as the proper one
    yes, it could fail any time and I won't have warranty, but hey! it has paid itself already with some 7000 pictures taken so far and it's still going strong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

got fakes myself , generally ebay is rife with fakes , its pot luck , thats why I dont use ebay anymore, far too many conmen , best to find a trusted site and stick with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

Just curious are the fakes packaged the same way as the originals?

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭whiteshadow

yes they seem to be packaged the same way... but there are differences..
    see clue 4: http://reviews.ebay.com/FAKE-SanDisk-Extreme-Compact-Flash-Cards-Exposed_W0QQugidZ10000000001456539

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭quilmore

ike wrote: »
    Just curious are the fakes packaged the same way as the originals?

yes, with all the glitter, pouch, cd with rescuepro and the lot
    I believe they make the packaging over there, that will explain how they get such packaging that could cost more than a few bob to make for the sake of faking a card

Thanks for the help that ebay fakes page is very good.Iv decided not to trust the seller and demanded an immediat refund and i also am claiming postage back to her before i send it as i dont tust her and i am awaiting a reply.What do you think i should do now.Will i report her to sandisk and the other things listed on ebay?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭georgey

I got a fake CF card from ebay and had to go through the whole pay pal claim thing, got the money back now I buy my cards from memoryc.com great prices genuine goods and they are in cellbridge so the card is on your door in two days.
    Philip

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

i have a fake one aswell but it was cheap and works just as well so im not that bothered by it really.,

Yeah philip just bought a memory card from them they are a very good company

Advertisement