Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus route 39 bus stops out of order ???

Options
  • 09-11-2007 6:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know anything about this ?
    There are notices saying that at least 3 of the bus stops on the 39 route are out of order and that buses will not be stopping at them, they are on the blakestown road.

There are no press releases or notices on the dublin bus website about it.

The road works on the Blanchardstown north road have already made one of the bus stops there inaccessible and the bus drivers don't stop at it and have in the past refused to top at the one that was still accessible and sailed right past and would not stop until the shopping centre.

Can Dublinbus just decided to decommission bus stops with out consultation and informing the public ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

It is due to attacks on buses in the Whitestown area recently.

Buses are currently operating as far as the blakestown road roundabout and heading down the blakestown road as far as mountview, via mountview then turning left heading to the blanchardstown centre then via the normal round. the same is the reverse.

Some buses are heading via whitestown was on a 39 last night that went via whitestown. 220 this morning went via whitestown. The majority aren't though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

The notices are new they were not there yesterday and buses had been using them and stopping there yesterday so I doubt that is the reason.

I know that the junction recently there was changed and traffic lights put in it could be that the bus stops are now considered to close to the junction and are hindering traffic ?

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭spareman

On the Tuesday 6th november the Blakestown sniper hit another bus and the buses were pulled, appartently the bus spent the next day being foresically examined in the garda station in Blanchardstown.
    Thats all I know, seems to be a problem in some parts of Dublin at the moment, thugs using buses for shooting practice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Xylophonic

Similar problem in Edenmore, resulted in the 42A/B being pulled from the estate about a month ago. They have since been reinstated.

Apparently a pellet gun was involved. These things are extremely dangerous but are they legal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,250 ✭✭✭✭Victor

thomasj wrote: »
    Apparently a pellet gun was involved. These things are extremely dangerous but are they legal?
    Anything with a muzzle energy greater than 1 joule needs a licence. That limit excluses toys, which wouldn't be able to do that type of damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Take a trip up to the Gadget Shop in The Square Tallaght and look at the array of VERY realistic looking Pistols,Assault Rifles and Sub Machine Guns on display.

They are of course "only pellet (BB) guns",a bit of harmless fun,merely another extension of the Big Boyz Toyz stuff BUT they represent a very real way to get oneself killed for real if you take to striding around in the hood with one on display.

In the present tense and dangerous situation only a half-wit would think that spending a couple of hundred euro on these things to appear macho was a positive life enhancing move.

I am at a loss to recognize what benefits the sale of these things offer Irish society as a whole.....?
    No doubt it`ll stagger on until some Bus Passenger is killed or injured by a stray pellet or glass fragment then we`ll have knees jerking and all manner of woe is me-ing. :mad:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

spareman wrote: »
    On the Tuesday 6th november the Blakestown sniper hit another bus and the buses were pulled, appartently the bus spent the next day being foresically examined in the garda station in Blanchardstown.
    Thats all I know, seems to be a problem in some parts of Dublin at the moment, thugs using buses for shooting practice.

Nothing has been said about this locally, it has not been in the media at all.

And airsoft pellet guns would not break glass.

and anyway with the new traffic lights a mere few feet from the bus stop they are avoiding the buses can be caught at that junction for as long if not longer then they would be stationary for picking up passengers.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭spareman

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Nothing has been said about this locally, it has not been in the media at all..

You should contact your local paper and ask them why they have not reported it, I think you will find its something to do with the value of property in the area, and the good name in the area.
    'Shootings' force buses off road

Saturday November 10 2007

DUBLIN Bus confirmed last night that the number 39 bus has temporarily ceased to serve the Whitestown area of Dublin 15, after a series of incidents where buses were struck while in transit through the area.

Locals have expressed fears that someone may be shooting at the buses, although this was not confirmed officially.

Last Tuesday, a number 39 bus, travelling into the city, was struck by a "high velocity object", possibly a bullet, which broke the window. No one was harmed.

A spokeswoman for Dublin Bus confirmed that "some sort of projectile" hit the bus and that gardai were investigating.

"On the advice of the gardai and in the interests of safety of our customers and staff, the 39 is not serving Whitestown at the moment," she said.

Now do you see the kind of area you are living in?
    And airsoft pellet guns would not break glass.
    So its ok to use Dublin Bus for shooting practice as long as we use airsoft pellets, Maybe they were not airsoft pellets?
    and anyway with the new traffic lights a mere few feet from the bus stop they are avoiding the buses can be caught at that junction for as long if not longer then they would be stationary for picking up passengers.
    Its nothing to do with a new set of traffic lights, do you really think Dublin bus would reroute due to traffic lights?

In the uk stone throwing is seen as serious crime, over here when buses are being fired upon we try to cover it up.
    Police hunt gang who stoned buses
    POLICE are hunting a gang of youths following two stone-throwing attacks on buses, which police warn could have had fatal results.

In the first attack, a paving slab smashed through a bus window, narrowly missing a passenger.

An hour later a second bus mounted the pavement as a driver swerved to miss a stone which smashed the windscreen and display board window.

Both incidents happened in Coulby Newham, Middlesbrough.

PC Scott Lamb of Cleveland Police said: "We need all of the passengers on the buses to come forward with any information they may have, or anyone who was in the area at the time.

"Luckily, no-one was hurt this time, but the consequences could have been fatal.'' Both incidents happened on the evening of October 30, though details were only released last night. (THURS) PC Scott said: "Youths may see this as so-called mischief night, but they need to see the seriousness of their actions. Not only have they caused hundreds of pounds of damage, but they could have killed the passengers on these buses."

The first incident happened at around 5.10pm as a Stagecoach bus headed along Mount Pleasant Way in Coulby Newham, travelling towards Lingfield Way, when a gang of youths wearing hooded tops and scarves threw a paving slab threw one of its windows.

The slab smashed a window, narrowly missing an elderly woman passenger, leaving her shaken, but unhurt.

The attack on the second bus happened on Coulby Farm Way at 6.30pm. The same gang is believed to have been responsible.

Stagecoach Managing Director John Conroy said: "The actions of a small number of people impacted upon the general public going about their own business along with the driver of our vehicle. We will continue to work with the police as they conduct their enquiries."

Anyone with information is asked to call Coulby Newham Police on 01642-303126 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭meanmachine3

the only reason they are pulled is because of the sniper, nothing else. the reason why you might see a bus going the normal route is because it's a spare driver who doesn't know whats going on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

Whereas incidents far lesser than this in Limerick make national news nevermind just being in the local news.

Personally, I would really like if our government would decide to actually provide the resources to police this country. Nevermind Dublin or Limerick with gangland crime etc., there are enough troubles even in towns and villages across the countryside where it is practically bandit country. No police presence, and if the guards do show up, the thugs a) have had an hour or more to clear off, and b) are perfectly capable of attacking Garda vehicles and putting them out of action, Northern Ireland style.

Our politicians and a lot of Dubliners from affluent areas are living in cloud cuckoo land as to the state of the country.

the only reason they are pulled is because of the sniper, nothing else. the reason why you might see a bus going the normal route is because it's a spare driver who doesn't know whats going on.

The sooner the better the sniper is cought and this is resolved. It is having a serious effect on the 39 especially this weekend. was waiting upto 50 minutes twice yesterday. Remember December last year? 2-3 hours ongar to city centre? do we want to break this record? no?

was on a 39 the other morning the driver was turning at the roundabout said "ah f**k this!" went back around the roundabout and drove up through whitestown.

The majority of 39s are taking the diversion but a few are slipping through the net!

also most if not all 76s and 220s seem to be taking the normal route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭meanmachine3

got the latest edition of the community voice in today and it's in page 2 of that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Dr.Louis

It was in the local newspaper two days ago (the blanch gazette)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭trellheim

from experience the only way you can solve something like that is to get the locals involved. Typically a "quiet word" is had with someone. The local kids know who owns pellet guns.

You should contact your local paper and ask them why they have not reported it, I think you will find its something to do with the value of property in the area, and the good name in the area.

Fair enough.

Now do you see the kind of area you are living in?

Why the attitude ?
    I was out for a walk and noticed the signs, you know people to do go for awalk to the centre rather then drive.

I do know what type of an 'area' I live in and have lived in for the last 11 year, the area that has been the fasterest growing in the country and in europe for the last 8 years and should have more then 1 police station.

There are not enough garda and they fill their quotas far to quickly and they don't bother about the petty crime which just breeds contempt in any area of any city.

So its ok to use Dublin Bus for shooting practice as long as we use airsoft pellets, Maybe they were not airsoft pellets?

How on earth did you get that from my post ?
    I state that I didn't' think an airsoft pellet would break a bus window I did not say it was permissible to shot buses. If possible I think that the law should be changed and airsoft guns and rifles be made illegal again.
    Its nothing to do with a new set of traffic lights, do you really think Dublin bus would reroute due to traffic lights?

I think they could have been requested do to do due to the new junction and it could have been an attempted to do something about the traffic flow in the area.

In the uk stone throwing is seen as serious crime, over here when buses are being fired upon we try to cover it up.
    Police hunt gang who stoned buses

I agree it should not be covered up and notices should have go into all the houses in the surrounding areas about this happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭fletch...

just a pointer - airsoft guns (used in legal sport) will not penatrate skin, therfore theres no chance an airsoft can break glass, unless its an overpowerd illegal airsoft gun. whitestown is a kip i know, i grew up there but not everyone there are arseholes. maybe the garda should get off thier holes and deal with the problem instead of a whole community gettn screwd over a couple of spa's

Advertisement