Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving: From Provisional License to Learning Permit (Merged)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Well, about ****ing time:

Safer roads (And some better parking, hopefully).
    It will also slightly reduce the number of fat kids (Or, at least, encourage car pooling).

win. win.

Here's hoping it's actually enforced.

ED: "A person who is a first time holder of a learner permit (provisional licence) cannot take a driving test for a six month period after the commencement date of the permit (provisional licence)." - Like there's any fear of them doing it sooner. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

This'll be fun.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

• The holder of category B (Car) learner permit (provisional licence) must be accompanied by and under the supervision of a qualified person at all times. This change removes an exemption that, up to now, allowed a person on a second provisional licence to drive unaccompanied. To drive unaccompanied will be a penal offence and the person will be subject to prosecution.

Q: When does this new rule come into effect?

A: This is coming into effect as and from 30 October 2007.

Q: I am currently on a second (provisional licence) learner permit for driving a car, and was not required to be accompanied heretofore with this (provisional licence) learner permit. Must I now be accompanied?

A: Yes, you must be accompanied at all times when driving with a (provisional licence) learner permit for a car.

W00t! :D Although as most of our traffic laws go unenforced in this country it'll only be the odd learner that'll be prosecuted on this anyway :)

EDIT: Oh and I've bikoed this post for moving to the 'Learning to drive' forum, not because I want to see it moved just because I wanted to use the new verb 'biko', which now replaces the verb 'report'. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I don't see this going down too well.

It fits Motors and sub-fora and 'Learning to drive' and Motorbikes and probably more... AH is fine. I'll gladly put a copy in Learning to Driver or anywhere the mod requests.

Mossy Monk wrote:
    I don't see this going down too well.
    Aye. They'll have to do something about the testing Q's. Otherwise, **** 'em. The system works well for other countries. Only some of them go one step further and make it better - the qualified driver has to be an instructor - this has the benefit of reducing the number of bad habits carried over and the conditions are safer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

And yet there is still a massive amount of people out there with full licences who never sat a test- crazy stuff. Driving crap for years on end and then will use this "experience" as an excuse why they should not have to sit a test! That is what gets me most- people who never sat a test moaning about provo drivers.

I know old women of 80+ who can barely walk yet can drive HGVs since they just ticked a box back in the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Hmmmm, i've never nearly been run over by a person with L plates.

I've nearly been run over by Fat ***** or the Idiot Wives in X5's a lot though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Orange69

Its not exactly a huge change...

And we all know it wont be enforced...

And it doesn't fix the problem of people driving away from a failed driving test..

More hogwash from the current government!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

this is going to be hillarious.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

All they had to say in one line was that they were removing the rule whereby somebody on a second provisional licence didn't need a fully licenced driver with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,499 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Have we ever had a law with retrospective provisions like this before? Consideirng none of these were in force when any existing L-drivers applied for their licence, its extremely dodgy bringing it in now.

Gonna **** up my employers no end - half the support team are on provisional licences, most of them aren't able to get here via public transport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Orange69 wrote: »
    Its not exactly a huge change...

And we all know it wont be enforced...

And it doesn't fix the problem of people driving away from a failed driving test..

More hogwash from the current government!

How do ya know that?

To enforce it all the Gardai have to do is pull over anyone they see with L plates up and on their own in the vehicle. Done and done.

Also test-takers will now be required to be accompanied to and from (should they fail) their test.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

Dragan wrote: »
    Hmmmm, i've never nearly been run over by a person with L plates.

I've nearly been run over by Fat ***** or the Idiot Wives in X5's a lot though.

The next logical step for the RSA is to force all existing full license holders to sit a retest at some fixed interval.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

i think its a good step forward...it was crazy that you could fail your test then get in a car and drive home.
    i also think they should make people take the test every 10 years after you turn 50...some shocking older drivers.
    snap kodute

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭l3LoWnA

Wow! Great news!

Now all they have to do in enforce it properly! :rolleyes:

I drove a car badly in need of a NCT around for 3 years and all the check-points etc I passed over the years, they never once asked about it! That's a pretty new thing, as will this be, so let's just see how strongly it's enforced!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Just dont put up L plates. Easy. Take the chance. Not saying its right but most people will do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭cance

this is a bit OTT no?

piss flaps.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

r3nu4l wrote: »
    EDIT: Oh and I've bikoed this post for moving to the 'Learning to drive' forum, not because I want to see it moved just because I wanted to use the new verb 'biko', which now replaces the verb 'report'. :D

:D

I think they should just bypass L and teach people to drive properly in the first place so they get a full license, like in Germany and Scandinavia.

To enforce it all the Gardai have to do is pull over anyone they see with L plates up and on their own in the vehicle. Done and done.
    All they need do to make a quota is camp outside schools. There. I said it.
    kodute wrote: »
    The next logical step for the RSA is to force all existing full license holders to sit a retest at some fixed interval.
    Logic? hah. That won't happen. The demographic that have the full licenses when they shouldn't vote more than the ones with L-plates. The waiting time for to be tested is already silly - this would just add to the nightmare. I do agree though, everyone should be re-tested at about age 50-60, at least. It's about time they took the blind, old midgets driving 20kph on a motorway off the road. There; another demographic insulted - my work here is done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

kodute wrote: »

Pretty much exactly what i was hinting at! Good man. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Madness that they are giving four days notice for all of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭hopalong85

How do ya know that?

Also test-takers will now be required to be accompanied to and from (should they fail) their test.

I swear if loads of people start getting done for this l drivers won't take their l plates down:rolleyes:;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Orange69

How do ya know that?

Because this is Ireland.

People will just take down their L plates.

I drove to my test on my own.. and had i failed i would have driven home on my own.. The tester wont follow you out to the car..

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭l3LoWnA

delly wrote: »
    All they had to say in one line was that they were removing the rule whereby somebody on a second provisional licence didn't need a fully licenced driver with them.

Exactly!! I, and probably the rest of ye, drove around on my first provisional with no qualified drivers on board.....it was illegal.....I never got grief about it from any law-enforcer so nothing will change.

Now, if they had said they were sending 5000 new gardai around the country in special new traffic units, I'd believe it's a great step forward, but it's only the law that has changed (ever so slightly!) not the enforcing of the law!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Thank christ i just passed my driving test there last month! Well assuming all of this is actually going to be enforced, which it probably won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

In fairness, we know this is going to change nothing. Of the people I know who drive unaccompanied with a provisional, they are mostly on their 3rd or 4th provisional anyway so have been driving illegally anyway.

Also, afaik, people can still take a test, fail it, then drive themselves home, as long as they are accompanied. This change doesn't mean a person will have their provisional licence removed should they fail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

If you were involved in an accident then, and it was discovered you were

a) on a provo with no l plates up and
    b) alone in the car

Would you not be in an world of crap?

hopalong85 wrote: »
    I swear if loads of people start getting done for this l drivers won't take their l plates down:rolleyes:;)

It's an offence to be caught without a standardised L-plate. If they get pulled over or crash, they're shafted.

L31mr0d wrote:
    In fairness, we know this is going to change nothing.
    It's a step in the right direction. It'll be easier to enforce than pulling over random L-platers and checking what license they have - all that's required is a peek in the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,980 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

rubadub wrote: »
    I know old women of 80+ who can barely walk yet can drive HGVs since they just ticked a box back in the day.
    When a truck or bus licence comes up for renewal, a new one won't be issued without a medical report. Just ticking the box in the pre 1964 days doesn't mean that the person still has the truck categories. It's largely a myth!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭hopalong85

Karoma wrote: »
    It's an offence to be caught without a standardised L-plate. If they get pulled over or crash, they're shafted.

Are they really?! This would go completely against my own experience must say. Anytime i've been stopped without l plates at a tax checkpoint or whatever the guard has merely told me to buy some and put them up.;)

Advertisement