Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

23-10-2007, 11:12   #1
golfnuts

BMW 320D Engine Oil

I was just wondering what sort of engine oil could I use on a BMW 2002 320 Diesel. The yellow oil light keeps coming on intermittently ??
Advertisement
23-10-2007, 11:17   #2
richie_rvf

I don't know what oil type you should use but it is listed in the manual, you could also call BMW and ask.

Is it using much oil?

If the yellow light keeps coming on I would be inclined to check the level myself more often, better doing this than waiting for the light.

Is the level down when you check it after the light comes on?

Richie.
23-10-2007, 11:37   #3
JohnCleary

I only use Castrol 0w-30 ... expensive but good stuff

Whatever you use make sure its either BMW LL01 or BMW ll04 it's the only stuff recommended by BMW and all the UK guy's use it because of weak turbo's. It will say it on the label if it's suitable
23-10-2007, 11:54   #4
golfnuts

Only noticed the light in the last day or 2 coming on, especially when ignition is turned off after a journey. Didnt check the oil level as yet but will check it today. Only bought the car about 10 weeks ago, I was told it had gotten a full service before I bought it blaa di blaa di blaa di blaa usual crap trap you're told when buying a car.
23-10-2007, 11:59   #5
richie_rvf

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfnuts View Post
Only noticed the light in the last day or 2 coming on, especially when ignition is turned off after a journey. Didnt check the oil level as yet but will check it today. Only bought the car about 10 weeks ago, I was told it had gotten a full service before I bought it blaa di blaa di blaa di blaa usual crap trap you're told when buying a car.
When that light comes on you should check the level as soon as possible, if you starve your turbo of oil you will be sorry!

How many miles have you done in the 10 weeks It is possible that the oil usage is completely normal.

My car uses a liter between 1500 and 2500 miles - depending on driving style
Advertisement
23-10-2007, 12:07   #6
JohnCleary

BMW say anything upto 1l / 1000 mile is acceptable, which personally I find excessive

The yellow light comes on when your oil level is close to the MIN mark I think

Also those sensor's can be dodgy. Check your oil ASAP, if it's low then top it up. If it's at the MAX mark then you've a faulty sensor - easy to replace
23-10-2007, 12:09   #7
richie_rvf

God point John - I did hear that now that you mention it, sensors have been known to fail.

On my car the light will come on when the level is in the middle of the two marks, I check very regularly though and I have only had the warning come up once, I wouldn't like to rely on it.

Richie,
23-10-2007, 12:12   #8
golfnuts

I'll check it while on lunch today.
Thanks lads !
23-10-2007, 12:17   #9
JohnCleary

golfnuts - Since you have a lovely new (to you) car thats only 10 weeks old, you should make a habit of doing weekly checks. Some of the basics that I do:

Coolant
Engine Oil
Brake Fluid
Power steering fluid
Tyre Pressure
Window washer water

Simple checks will increase your chances of trouble free motoring
Advertisement
23-10-2007, 12:23   #10
golfnuts

Thanks for the advice John, half an hour at weekends wouldnt hurt I suppose.
Would Halfords stock the oil I need? its only up the road from where I work.
23-10-2007, 12:37   #11
golfnuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie_rvf View Post
When that light comes on you should check the level as soon as possible, if you starve your turbo of oil you will be sorry!

How many miles have you done in the 10 weeks It is possible that the oil usage is completely normal.

My car uses a liter between 1500 and 2500 miles - depending on driving style
I've done about 4-5k mainly motorway miles !
23-10-2007, 22:50   #12
golfnuts

Got the Castrol Edge 0w-30w today and gonna fill her up when I get some light in the morning.
Thanks again JC
23-10-2007, 23:03   #13
maidhc

1L per 1000km means that the car will drain its sump at least twice between services. That isn't acceptable.

Feck that is all I can say. No car I own burns more than 1L between services and that includes a mondeo with 200k up and a 1974 Capri.
23-10-2007, 23:27   #14
JohnCleary

Quote:
Originally Posted by maidhc View Post
1L per 1000km means that the car will drain its sump at least twice between services. That isn't acceptable.

Feck that is all I can say. No car I own burns more than 1L between services and that includes a mondeo with 200k up and a 1974 Capri.
Theres a difference between 1000 miles and 1000 km

But even at 1000 miles, I agree a 1litre drop is excessive. However BMW say that this is acceptable, so while it may be burning it, I wouldn't worry
23-10-2007, 23:31   #15
JohnCleary

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfnuts View Post
Got the Castrol Edge 0w-30w today and gonna fill her up when I get some light in the morning.
Thanks again JC
Expensive stuff isint it?!

I bought 12l of the stuff from opieoils.co.uk which will do for 2 services. He gave me a nice discount for ordering 12litres, cost me 99 Sterling for the 12 litres and delivery was 10 Sterling. Delivery only took 3 days from the UK which was sweet. If you want to buy the stuff e-mail them they are good for discounts off the website prices

BMW has very high milage service intervals (12k)... I change my oil (I use genuine BMW filter, 18euro form dealer), oil filter and crankcase breather filter (50eur from dealer only) every 6k miles. Many people will say that this is overkill but I like to treat my car nicely, and I hope that it will do the same for me in return

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion