Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cleaning Granite Stone Windowsills

Options
  • 19-10-2007 10:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭

Hi All,

Does anyone know what is the best way to clean an external granite windowsill or what cleaning solution to use. The house looks very similar to this one. Link

have thought about a power washer but have rang a few places and they dont think that regular power washers will work.

The stone has become blackened over time.

any info would be great

N

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,797 ✭✭✭10-10-20

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Nemici

outstanding - thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,776 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I had paint on granite before, and eventually got it off with nitromors. if you searh "granite steps cleaning" or something like that you will see a lot about it.

There is one product from an Irish company that I noticed: http://www.igoe.ie/cms/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=25&Itemid=63 - netrol. I have no personal experience of whether it works, but the photograph certainly looks good!

Assuming your windowsill isn't smooth, I'd suggest getting a powerwasher as well as whatever other cleaning method you use. The reason is that it is quite difficult to rinse everything out of all the little pits and grooves in the stone by hand rinsing (although that's how I did it myself).

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Nemici

cheers antoinolachtnai. thats great.

Just found out another chemical that apparently is very good for cleaning granite, its called MN Powerclean by Lithofin.

Dont need a powerwasher, just rinse with cold water. Can get it any of the tile shops and its abou 24 quid. (will need a nylon pad to scrub it though)

Advertisement