Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Step by step instructions to get Meteor ISP & MMS on Window Mobile 6

Options
  • 15-10-2007 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

If you're like me and have a windows mobile pocket pc and want to occasionally use meteor's edge network for email or surfing the network when there isn't a nearby free wireless network then you might find the following useful.
    Meteor charge ~€5 per MB on prepaid which is ok for light internet surfing and email.
    The first thing you need to do is phone meteor and ask to be put through to technical support, not customer care, and ask to have your "account provisioned on the HLR for ISP". This is not enabled by default and involves them changing something at there end to allow your meteor account connect to the internet.

ISP settings:

Then on your windows mobile pda you need to setup a virtual modem and
    verify the default network for data is set correctly:
    1. Click "Start", "Settings", "Connections" tab, "Connections".
    2. Click the "Advanced" tab.
    3. Click on the "Select Networks" button.
    4. Click "New..." under the title "Programs that automatically connect to the Internet should connect using"
    5. In the "Enter a name for these settings" textbox type
    Meteor ISP Data Connection
    6. Click the "Modem" tab.
    7. Click the "New..." button.
    8. In the "Enter a name for the connection" textbox type the following as the connection name:
    Meteor ISP Modem
    9. In the "Select a modem" dropdown list select the following:
    Cellular Line (GPRS)
    10. Click "Next".
    11. In the "Access point name" textbox type the following as the APN:
    isp.mymeteor.ie
    12. Click "Next".
    13. In the "User name" textbox type the following:
    my
    14. In the "Password" textbox type the following:
    isp
    15. Click "Finish".
    16. Click "ok".
    17. In the "Programs that automatically connect to the Internet should connect using" dropdown list,
    verify "Meteor ISP Data Connection" is selected.
    18. Click "ok".
    19. Click "ok" again.
    You now have a virtual modem setup. Pocket IE should work now without any further settings.

Next you can setup MMS:
    Meteor seem to offer WAP 1.2 and WAP 2.0 support. I'm not sure which is better but I assume WAP 2.0 is an improvement.
    1. Click "Start", "Settings", "Connections" tab, "Connections".
    4. Click "New..." under the title "Programs that automatically connect to the Internet should connect using"
    5. In the "Enter a name for these settings" textbox type
    Meteor MMS Data Connection
    6. Click the "Modem" tab.
    7. Click the "New..." button.
    8. In the "Enter a name for the connection" textbox type the following as the connection name:
    Meteor MMS Modem
    9. In the "Select a modem" dropdown list select the following:
    Cellular Line (GPRS)
    10. Click "Next".
    11. In the "Access point name" textbox type the following as the APN:
    mms.mymeteor.ie
    12. Click "Next".
    13. In the "User name" textbox type the following:
    my
    14. In the "Password" textbox type the following:
    mms
    15. Click "Finish".
    16. Click "ok".
    17. In the "Programs that automatically connect to the Internet should connect using" dropdown list,
    Change the dropdown so that it says "Meteor ISP Data Connection".
    18. Click "ok".
    19. Click "ok" again.

Now open your MMS application
    1. "Start", "Programs", "Messaging", "Menu", "MMS Options..."
    2. Click on the "Servers" tab.
    3. Click the "New" button.
    4. Type the following in the "Server name" textbox:
    Meteor MMS WAP 1.2
    5. Type the following in the "Gateway" textbox:
    6. Type the following in the "Port number" textbox:
    7. Type the following in the "Server address" textbox:
    http://mms.mymeteor.ie
    8. Select the following in the "Connect via" dropdown box:
    9. Select "300K" as the send limit, though the person you are sending the mms to should have at least 300KB free to receive a 300KB message.
    If you're unable to send messages using 300K try using 100K instead.
    10. Select "WAP 1.2" as the WAP version.
    11. Select the new Server you just created using the keypad to highlight
    it, and click on "Set as Default".
    12. Click ok.
    MMS should now work. You can use WAP 2.0 if you use port number 8799 in step 6 and select "WAP 2.0" in step 10.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

nice one declantm... have linked to this from the Meteor part of the Settings/Config Sticky.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

I cannot set up my WM6 for MMS messages; will entering this be enough? ie someone sends me an MMS and this will open it as it usually did on my old phone for free?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 declantm

At what point are you getting stuck?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭dohouch

A sort of question and also some info for some. Last week got new N82,unbranded, and within minutes of transferring my Meteor PAYG SIM I had 3 txt messages from Meteor with my setting for WAP,MMS,GPRS. I was gobsmacked. thought it was a joke, but sure enough fired up Operamini, and it worked. ( Had Meteor ISP set up for previous phone,6230i)

I didn't have to make a single settings entry. Frist class and hats of to Metoer. good service.

Question then, don't they provide the same service for Windows mobile?

We're not suffering, only complaining 😞

Whenever I tried to help from them on anything to do with Window Mobile phones I just got the standard response saying they don't support those phones. I found the information on this website far more helpful. I don't think you will ever see a similar service to the one you describe on a Windows Mobile phones as Microsoft generally only provide a basic platform to run applications and leave it up to 3rd party companies to add useful features like automatic MMS setup.

• Advertisement

declantm wrote: »
    Now open your MMS application
    1. "Start", "Programs", "Messaging", "Menu", "MMS Options..."
    2. Click on the "Servers" tab.
    3. Click the "New" button.
    4. Type the following in the "Server name" textbox:
    Meteor MMS WAP 1.2
    5. Type the following in the "Gateway" textbox:
    6. Type the following in the "Port number" textbox:
    7. Type the following in the "Server address" textbox:
    http://mms.mymeteor.ie
    8. Select the following in the "Connect via" dropdown box:
    9. Select "300K" as the send limit, though the person you are sending the mms to should have at least 300KB free to receive a 300KB message.
    If you're unable to send messages using 300K try using 100K instead.
    10. Select "WAP 1.2" as the WAP version.
    11. Select the new Server you just created using the keypad to highlight
    it, and click on "Set as Default".
    12. Click ok.
    MMS should now work. You can use WAP 2.0 if you use port number 8799 in step 6 and select "WAP 2.0" in step 10.
    1. "Start", "Programs", "Messaging", "Menu", "MMS Options..." <- I don't have this option in WM6, but I got MMS Settings thru "Start", "Messaging", "MMS", "Menu", "MMS Settings"
    The options on the "New" button I have are:
    Profile name: "Meteor MMS WAP 2.0"
    MMSC: "http://mms.mymeteor.ie"
    Data Connetion: I selected "Meteor MMS Data connection" (you don't have anything written there for that part, but i guess its right?)
    Gateway: "WAP 2.0 gateway" (there was no "1.2", but there was "1.0" and "2.0"
    IP Address: "10.85.85.85"
    Port: "8799"

Yes you're correct, you should select "Meteor MMS Data connection" as the data connection. All your other MMS settings seem correct to me, so i'm guess the problem is the mms network connection
    Can you check if you're able to connect via the MMS connection using the following steps?
    1. Click "Start", "Settings", "Connections" tab, "Connections" icon.
    4. Select "Meteor MMS Data Connection" under the title "Programs that automatically connect to the Internet should connect using" if it is not already selected and click on the "Edit..." button.
    5. Tap and hold on the "Meteor MMS M..." item and select "Connect"
    6. Verify you are able to connect to the network without any error messages, you won't be charged to connect to Meteor's MMS server.
    7. Go into your messaging application.
    8. Look for a send/receive button to manually receive any MMS's message on the server.
    9. Verify no error message appear.

If you get an error message somewhere along the way make a note of if and reply with the details.

You should be able to send a test MMS message to your phone by emailing 085XXXXXXX@mms.mymeteor.ie, your phone should automatically connect to the network via the MMS connection and download the message.
    I hope that helps.

declantm wrote: »
    You should be able to send a test MMS message to your phone by emailing 085XXXXXXX@mms.mymeteor.ie, your phone should automatically connect to the network via the MMS connection and download the message.
    I hope that helps.
    Cheers Declan - I was trying to "download" an old message which didn't work. Sent myself a new message and that worked.

Whats the craic with 085XXXXXXX@mms.mymeteor.ie - Thats class. I just sent myself a huge image and it sent to the mobile at a scaled down version. Is that free? Can I do that to any mobile?

Like could I send a message like that to multiple people who are on Meteor? Or is there similar domains for vodafone and o2?

it sent the picture and it arrived as 640 X 853 - 59kb. Originally 102Kb... is there a limit to size?

can it be used as a free texting service?

attached is the error I recieved when trying to get MMS messages - I got it again; but before this I had downloaded 4 MMS messages using the email - testing it out. Perhaps there is a limit?

As far as I know 085XXXXXXX@mms.mymeteor.ie is free, i'm on prepaid and i've never been charged for it. An equivalent 085XXXXXXX@sms.mymeteor.ie also works and is usually more reliable than the MMS one. I've been using the MMS one for months and it works most of the time but big MMS's don't get through, I don't know if it's because there's a limit on how big the MMS can be or there's a limit on how much you can send to @mms.mymeteor.ie before it stops working.
    I forward all my gmail messages to the MMS one, most get through and sometimes pictures get through too, the biggest MMS i've received so far was about 300KB but it stops working from time to time, I haven't really tested it out that much. When it stops working I switch over to the SMS one.
    You probably get charged if you receive MMS while roaming in other countries.
    I remember reading in this forum somewhere that there is a similar thing for either O2 or Vodafone but I can't seem to find it anymore :(

• Advertisement

I'm fed up of this PDA - I think I'll sell this one and go back to something less... perhaps a smartphone... hate taking the stylus out for texting, I like buttons.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 zaxa

Thank you so much for this thread. I work for meteor myself for the last 4 years and I know the settings off the top of my head for phones but I could never get MMS working on my tytnII. It was so annoying for me as I got the ISP working easily and thought the MMS would be similiar. I tried so many variances of the same settings and I am so annoyed at myself that it was that easy. I mean i'm the person in our store who has gotten any phone problem fixed no bother. Its a bit embarrassing to say the least. Anyway thanks again. My one annoyance with this phone is now gone!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭squire23

Do I have to ring Meteor & ask them to have my "account provisioned on the HLR for ISP"? I just want basic MMS & GPRS functions on my PDA

You don't have to ring meteor to get it provisioned if gprs works. Instead of typing isp.mymeteor.ie replace it with data.mymeteor.ie as everyones account is setup for this apn.

Okay.... I've been trying to get this working no for the last 2 days & still no luck. I got onto Meteor yesterday & this is what they sent me -
    MMS Settings:
    1. Data Account
    2. Menu -> Settings -> [scroll right to] Connectivity -> Data comm.-> Data accounts -> New account
    3. Account type: GPRS data
    4. Name: MMS GPRS
    5. APN: mms.mymeteor.ie
    6. Username: my
    7. Password: wap
    8. Press "Save".
    9. Scroll to "MMS GPRS" (i.e. the profile just created).
    10. Press "Edit":
    11. APN: mms.mymeteor.ie
    12. Username: my
    13. Password: wap
    14. Login request: Off
    15. Allow calls: Automatic
    16. IP address: ... [i.e. no address]
    17. DNS address: ... [i.e. no address]
    18. Authentication: None (un-ticked box) / PAP (ticked box) / CHAP (un-ticked box) / MS CHAP (un-ticked box) / MS CHAP V2 (un-ticked box)
    19. Data compression: Off
    20. Header compr.: Off
    21. Internet Profile
    22. Menu -> Settings -> [scroll right to] Connectivity -> Internet settings -> Internet profiles -> New profile
    23. Name: Meteor MMS
    24. Connect using: MMS GPRS
    25. Press "Save".
    26. Scroll to "Meteor MMS" (i.e. the profile just created).
    27. Press "More" and select "Settings":
    28. Connect using: MMS GPRS
    29. Use proxy: Yes
    30. Proxy address: 10.085.085.085
    31. Port number: 8799
    32. Username: my
    33. Password: wap
    34. Press "Save".
    35. Scroll to "Meteor MMS", press "More" and select "Advanced".
    36. Select "Change homepage":
    37. Name: "Meteor MMS
    38. Address: http://mms.mymeteor.ie
    39. Press "Save", then hold the Back key down for a few seconds to exit the menu.

WAP Settings:
    1. Data Account
    2. Menu -> Settings -> [scroll right to] Connectivity -> Data comm.-> Data accounts -> New account:
    3. Account Type: GPRS data
    4. Name: WAP GPRS
    5. APN: wap.mymeteor.ie
    6. Username: my
    7. Password: wap
    8. Press "Save".
    9. Scroll to "WAP GPRS" (i.e. the profile just created).
    10. Press "Edit":
    11. APN: wap.mymeteor.ie
    12. Username: my
    13. Password: wap
    14. Login request: Off
    15. Allow calls: Automatic
    16. IP address: ... [i.e. no address]
    17. DNS address: ... [i.e. no address]
    18. Authentication: None (un-ticked box) / PAP (ticked box) / CHAP (un-ticked box) / MS CHAP (un-ticked box) / MS CHAP V2 (un-ticked box)
    19. Data compression: Off
    20. Header compr.: Off
    21. Internet Profile
    22. Menu -> Settings -> [scroll right to] Connectivity -> Internet settings -> Internet profiles -> New profile:
    23. Name: Meteor WAP
    24. Connect using: WAP GPRS
    25. Press "Save".
    26. Scroll to "Meteor WAP" (i.e. the profile just created).
    27. Press "More" and select "Settings":
    28. Connect using: WAP GPRS
    29. Use proxy: Yes
    30. Proxy address: 010.085.085.085
    31. Port number: 8799
    32. Username: my
    33. Password: wap
    34. Press "Save".
    35. Scroll to "Meteor WAP", press "More" and select "Advanced".
    36. Select "Change homepage":
    37. Name: Meteor WAP
    38. Address: http://wap.mymeteor.ie
    39. Press "Save", then press the Back key once.
    40. Scroll to "Meteor WAP" and press "Select".

The bottom portion of these steps don't appear anywhere on my phone (steps 15 - 40). Anyone got any ideas?

You should totally ignore what you were told by customer care. If you a have a windows mobile phone you should follow the instructions shown by declantm as they are what I used. On a windows phone you can't use the wap settings with meteor which is why you have to use the isp settings. The only thing you need to do differently is type in data.mymeteor.ie as the apn etc. Anywhere declantm has isp.mymeteor.ie written you should replace it with data.mymeteor.ie and that should get you going. Also for the MMS settings they are exactly as declantm has written so if you follow them step by step you should have no problems. What phone are you using by the way?

HTC Touch Dual which I bought in Malaysia. Thanks & I'll give the settings a shot.

I'm using a HTC phone too so you should be fine. Hope it work for you!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Just wanted to say thanks to Declantm.Works 100% on a Xda Flame.You first post and then this from Sniipe works for wm5.
    1. "Start", "Programs", "Messaging", "Menu", "MMS Options..." <- I don't have this option in WM6, but I got MMS Settings thru "Start", "Messaging", "MMS", "Menu", "MMS Settings"
    The options on the "New" button I have are:
    Profile name: "Meteor MMS WAP 2.0"
    MMSC: "http://mms.mymeteor.ie&quot;
    Data Connetion: I selected "Meteor MMS Data connection" (you don't have anything written there for that part, but i guess its right?)
    Gateway: "WAP 2.0 gateway" (there was no "1.2", but there was "1.0" and "2.0"
    IP Address: "10.85.85.85"
    Port: "8799"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

squire23 wrote: »
    Okay.... I've been trying to get this working no for the last 2 days & still no luck. I got onto Meteor yesterday & this is what they sent me -

The bottom portion of these steps don't appear anywhere on my phone (steps 15 - 40). Anyone got any ideas?

The settings you mentioned above are Sony Ericsson APN settings, that's why, if you have a Windows Mobile handset, a lot of the options don't appear.

Also, there are two sets of Windows Mobile 6 APN settings available; those for the Professional edition, handsets with a touchscreen, and those for the Standard edition, smartphones without a touchscreen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 TheHig

HTC TyTN II here, seems to be working dandy. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Rsaeire wrote: »
    The settings you mentioned above are Sony Ericsson APN settings, that's why, if you have a Windows Mobile handset, a lot of the options don't appear.

Also, there are two sets of Windows Mobile 6 APN settings available; those for the Professional edition, handsets with a touchscreen, and those for the Standard edition, smartphones without a touchscreen.

I cant get my MWG zinc II to connect to mms or isp. Done what has been said here but no luck. Just keeps coming up cannot dial isp.mymeteor.ie or when i try and send mms i get cannot dial mms.mymeteor.ie

I have a touchscreen phone with professional WM6.1 i think

Just found out whats going on, there is a button to turn off GPRS. it was selected to not permit GPRS!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭KoRn101

Any chance you could work your magic on a blackberry pearl ? 8100? I love the phone and love meteor to be honest! And really trying my best to get these settings working but for some reason you are very limited as to what settings you can change on the blackberry concerning internet, all i can seem to change is the TCP settings, i changed them to

APN: isp.mymeteor.ie
    USER :my
    PASS: isp (also tried meteor as pass)

And no joy!

Any help would be great! I just want the browser to work, i understand the direct email will not work with meteor!

KoRn101 wrote: »
    Any chance you could work your magic on a blackberry pearl ? 8100? I love the phone and love meteor to be honest! And really trying my best to get these settings working but for some reason you are very limited as to what settings you can change on the blackberry concerning internet, all i can seem to change is the TCP settings, i changed them to

APN: isp.mymeteor.ie
    USER :my
    PASS: isp (also tried meteor as pass)

And no joy!

Any help would be great! I just want the browser to work, i understand the direct email will not work with meteor!
    You should read my post here from a similar thread.

Meant to drop back in here & say I got this working (thanks declantm). I've only managed to get my HTC connecting to net on data.mymeteor.ie though - does anyone if I'm gonna be robbed on charges for using this rather than isp.mymeteor.ie (couldn't get that to connect at all)

squire

squire23 wrote: »
    Meant to drop back in here & say I got this working (thanks declantm). I've only managed to get my HTC connecting to net on data.mymeteor.ie though - does anyone if I'm gonna be robbed on charges for using this rather than isp.mymeteor.ie (couldn't get that to connect at all)

squire
    Both the Data and ISP APNs work in the same way and the charges are identical. I imagine you were unable to connect to the Internet using the ISP APN, as it was not setup on your account.

I'm guessing that too. Thanks for the info Rsaeire

I got a new meteor sim with different number im using for business. Its a WM6 phone. Nor i rang meteor up to get it ISP set up, they told me "its all set up automatically!, I told them it needed to be activated but in the end i gave up.

So i have data.mymeteor.ie as my apn and not isp.mymeteor (As it wont connect to this), Are you 100% sure the cheaper data rates apply to these settings, or should i argue the toss with customer care and get it switched over to HLR over ISP?

snaps wrote: »
    I got a new meteor sim with different number im using for business. Its a WM6 phone. Nor i rang meteor up to get it ISP set up, they told me "its all set up automatically!, I told them it needed to be activated but in the end i gave up.

So i have data.mymeteor.ie as my apn and not isp.mymeteor (As it wont connect to this), Are you 100% sure the cheaper data rates apply to these settings, or should i argue the toss with customer care and get it switched over to HLR over ISP?

The reason Meteor customer care advised that "its all set up automatically!" is because the Data APN is added automatically to everyone's account as standard.

As I mentioned in my previous post, the Data and ISP APNs on Meteor operate the same and are also charged the same. ISP is the older APN and Data is the newer APN and at some point the ISP APN will be phased out; most likely the reason why Meteor are reluctant to add the ISP APN to anymore accounts.

• Advertisement

Im having awfull problems with my WM6 fone on data services from meteor. Dont know why, its all been working but today not. Checked all settings which seem correct, meteor said i need to use data.mymeteor.ie as my apn which i have. Ive my (Username) and isp (Password) entered. Im at my wits end now.

I notice in the connections main menu, there is GPRS authentication? What should it be set at? chap or pap?????

Advertisement