Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xmas day starter?

Options
  • 15-10-2007 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭

Hi there – has anyone any ideas what I can make for starter of xmas day?

Obv something light and tasty.

I was thinking large vol-au-vents..

I once had a starter of these with a blue cheese and white wine sauce (served hot) and it was the best thing I ever tasted. I cant remember what was in it tho – I thin k cream, and butter! But that’s all I have.

Does anyone know of this recipe? I would love to serve that up… really impress the in-laws! Failing that – If anyone has any suggestions!

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Not poxy melon anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭LadyE

DesF wrote: »
    Not poxy melon anyway.

Wouldnt even dream of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Sit down to eat starter? or are you looking for a canape type selection to pass around before the main event?

Minder wrote: »
    Sit down to eat starter? or are you looking for a canape type selection to pass around before the main event?

a SIT DOWN STARTER PLEASE. aND SOMETHING TO COMPLIMENT THE TURKEY (sorry caps) and ham and stuff :)

Prawn coctail?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 SlummyMummy

We tend not to have a starter for Christmas dinner; don't want anything to spoil the anticipation of that turkey and all the trimmings !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

well if its light youre after vol au vents filled with creamy sauce is a no no. way to heavy. hmmm something light, and i suppose it cant be ordinary either, christmas day an all (got to get the "omg, how did she manage that one" out of the outlaws). prawn cocktail was actually a good suggestion, but not the boring oldie version. get the really expensive prawns, posh, tall glasses a must if you do it..all about the look. how about a filo pastry basket, with smoked salmon and creme freshe? or melted goats cheese, but think cheese would make it heavy. Or a well made caesar salad always goes down well and can be made in advance, and wont clash with turkey!
    personally we always have smoked salmon and prawn salad.....ALWAYS ..starting to annoy me, but they love it...and i applaude your cooking for inlaws! my advice, keep it simple! best of luck

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

We tend not to have a starter for Christmas dinner; don't want anything to spoil the anticipation of that turkey and all the trimmings !!
    aye, we dont have starters either, unless you count picking pieces of meat off the plate while my mother is slicing the ham. she hates taht

• Registered Users Posts: 22,766 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

In the Billy household we usually have some smoked salmon on brown bread with a squirt of lemon an hour or so before the main event. Not as a formal sit-down starter thingy, & it also gives you time to make space for the turkey & sprouts.

Sprouts...Ahhh... * drools Homer-style *

A light starter that can be prepared in advance and has a great flavour - A warm salad of poached pears with blue cheese, hazelnuts and rocket.

This is simplicity itself.

Pears
    Blue cheese (Gorgonzola, Stilton, mild or strong depending on your taste)
    Hazelnuts
    Rocket (Or lambs lettuce or mixed leaves)
    Hazelnut oil
    Vinaigrette dressing
    White wine
    Lemon juice

Take one large pear per person. Get the under-ripe, slightly hard ones (Shouldn't be difficult, the shops sell no other type!!)
    Peel the pears but leave whole and keep the stalk on the top.
    Place in a saucepan and cover with a mixture of dry white wine and water 50/50. Add some lemon juice to acidulate the water - about half a lemon for every 4 pears - this will prevent the fruit from discolouring. Bring to boil and simmer until tender. Once cooked, the pears can be left in the liquid until needed. The hard pears will keep their shape and not fall apart.

Hazelnuts, a couple of tablespoons per person - if the have the skins on, dry them in the oven (180 degrees) for 10 to 15 minutes. Place the nuts in a clean tea towel and rub them - most of the papery skins will come off. Bash or chop into halves and set aside.

Vinaigrette dressing - equal amounts olive oil and wine vinegar - squeeze of lemon juice, a small dollop of dijon mustard, salt and pepper.

All this can be made well in advance.

To finish the dish halve and core the pears
    Place on a baking tray and add a slice of blue cheese to each
    Grill until the cheese melts and bubbles
    Add a pile of salad leaves to each plate
    Scatter with chopped hazelnuts
    Arrange the pears on top (scraping up any melted cheese that has escaped)
    Add a few drops of hazelnut oil
    Finish with the vinaigrette dressing and serve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

My Dad makes a CRACKIN' soup - makes the stock from boiled up the turkey giblets. It will defo compliment your main, and it's not too heavy.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,766 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Turkey giblet soup is indeed one of the finest things about Christmas. But, would it not be a bit of a turkey overload to have it as a starter before the turkey-fest main course?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Hill Billy wrote: »
    Turkey giblet soup is indeed one of the finest things about Christmas. But, would it not be a bit of a turkey overload to have it as a starter before the turkey-fest main course?

Christmas IS turkey overload! :)

Emmm... I dunno tbh, it just tastes kinda 'poultry'.
    It's easy, and you can make it in advance. Which is always good when putting together the mammoth feast that is Christmas day dinner!

Does anyone serve soup as a starter anymore ? Must be the simplest thing to make, can be visually stunning, light and very tasty.

Out of fashion?

Ramsay has a recipe for a cream of cauliflower soup (He calls it a nage) with a sorrel and caviar finish.

Basically it is cauliflower and potato cooked in a light stock, whizzed to puree, add milk or cream and season. That's the soup.

Serve it in white bowls. Chop some fresh sorrel into thin strips, pile a tablespoon in the middle of each bowl and top with a teaspoon of lumpfish caviar. Very striking with the stark white, vivid green of the sorrel and the black caviar.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lemeister

Crab claws cooked/heated in garlic butter........delicious and not at all heavy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Prawn cocktail would also be my call. That's the tradition here anyway and always goes down a treat. Not too heavy and scrumptious all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I got a recipe for a sweet potato and coconut soup from Masterchef on the BBC website a few years ago that I've been making ever since. It's really tasty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

Butterfly prawns with garlic & chilli. Had them last night. On special offer in Lidl this week. 14 in a box. Just heat in the oven for 8 mins. Nice & light & tasty!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

We're another smoked salmon household. We usually get this fantastic Peat Smoked stuff from the Aran Islands smokehouse. It's gorgeous, they're at the Craft Fair in the RDS at Christmas.

Unfortunately they didn't have any last year as they were trying a couple of new things but I think from the amount of inquiries they got about they were going to bring it back.

We have the soup made from the giblets etc on Stephen's Day as it's nice after all the rich food of the previous day.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭LadyTBolt

Prawn Cocktail & Smoked Salmon - You cannot go wrong!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

bisque of crab is a favourite of mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭washiskin

I always make Leek & Potato soup because my mother loves it.

A couple of years ago I was a guest at Christmas dinner where we were served those Prawns in Filo with a tomato chutney and a nice Asian Salad.

It was lovely and light and left plenty of room for the whopper of a trifle that followed the main course. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Hill Billy wrote: »
    In the Billy household we usually have some smoked salmon on brown bread with a squirt of lemon an hour or so before the main event. Not as a formal sit-down starter thingy, & it also gives you time to make space for the turkey & sprouts.

Sprouts...Ahhh... * drools Homer-style *

How can anyone love sprouts Brother Billy?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭washiskin

The-Rigger wrote: »
    How can anyone love sprouts Brother Billy?!

Easy!

Blanch the prepered sprouts in hot water for a couple if mins until bright green.
    Drain and toss in lightly fried smoked lardons, scatter over a couple of teaspoons of Sesame Seeds, cover and whack in the oven until cooked through.

Never a sprout left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 TScul

Have to say, I'd always hated sprouts - mini cabbages, usually bolied to death Irish style. Until I started to shred them and fry lightly in butter, leaving them still crisp. Love them that way, but still have to boil a few for my Dad. Would love to stir fry with lardons but then I don't think my mam will eat them - mind you she'd probably try them...
    We do soup and smoked salmon/melon. I'd love to try something different but so and so won't eat fish so melon instead, so and so won't eat cheese so no cheesy soups, etc. so leek and potato gets pulled out every year. Got a lovely recipe for sweet potato and pear soup recently so am tempted to do that this year, but I'll have to call it veg soup or it won't be tried by all.
    Last year I went for a 2 salmon starter, just chunks of fresh salmon and strips of smoked salmon lightly fried together (can't remember what else) and it went down well (with those who ate fish) so maybe I'll experiment again, but this time the inlaws are coming too and they're even worse, almost don't even eat veggies.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

washiskin wrote: »
    Easy!

Blanch the prepered sprouts in hot water for a couple if mins until bright green.
    Drain and toss in lightly fried smoked lardons, scatter over a couple of teaspoons of Sesame Seeds, cover and whack in the oven until cooked through.

Never a sprout left.

Tis not the sprouts you love, tis the lardons and things you cover the sprouts with to make them edible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Country-Bumpkin

The most delicious starter ever...... And so easy to make...

Get a round of brie or camembert (in a box) and lash it in the oven for about 10-15 minutes on about 150 degrees.

Take it out serve it with some crispy ciabatta,cranberry sauce and rocket! Each round serves about 2 people.

Delicious and it impressed my in-laws last christmas!!

Thansk a mil for all the replies!!!

I always thought that prawn coctail was abit 80's...so really dontknow anything!!! Would anyone be able to post a tried and tested recipe?

The pumpin and coconut soup delish!! As does the brie and chiabatta...am drooling now. And starvin marvin!
    Thanks againy'all!

LadyE wrote: »
    I always thought that prawn coctail was abit 80's...so really dontknow anything!!! Would anyone be able to post a tried and tested recipe?
    My sis is a chef, and she made a delish one recently.

I'll post that as soon as I see her.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

The most delicious starter ever...... And so easy to make...

Get a round of brie or camembert (in a box) and lash it in the oven for about 10-15 minutes on about 150 degrees.

Take it out serve it with some crispy ciabatta,cranberry sauce and rocket! Each round serves about 2 people.

Delicious and it impressed my in-laws last christmas!!

Thanks, I'm definitely doing this for Christmas Day starter!!

Advertisement