Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vista password not working

Options
  • 12-10-2007 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭

I can't logon to my laptop after using files transfer wizard. I know the password to both computers used in the transfer but it wont le me logon its saying user name or password incorrect. Any help would be much appreiated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭rahenyguy

try logging on using administrator as your username with password blank,if you get in you can then change your password

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Your administrator password maybe your login password. If you still can't get in, following the instructions below that I wrote for my company on reseting a password (note this is for XP and I've not tried it on Vista so it may not work):

How to reset a password for a user

Download CD websites http://ebcd.pcministry.com/ http://www.petri.co.il/forgot_administrator_password.htm#3

Follow instructions to burn default CD setup then follow below instructions

1) Insert recovery disc, restart computer or turn on and select option to boot from CD or prepare one time boot menu (dells F12), select DVD/CD drive

2) Select option 5 from next menu, NT Password Editor (linux based)

3) hit enter to continue

4) hit enter again, don't probe for SCSI-drivers

5) select partition. The default should be correct so hit enter if this is the case. If not look at the system type and the blocks to see which partition is of the correct type and size to contain a windows installation

6) hit enter for the default path to registry to be used.

7) hit enter to use default of password editor

8) select 1 to edit user data and passwords

9) enter username or leave blank for administrator

10) enter * to change administrator password to blank (change in windows afterwards)

11) press y to confirm the change, enter ! to quit/exit, press q to quit again

12) select y to save changes to files

13) Press Ctrl + Alt + Del to reboot and enter windows to change password from blank for user.

Apologies if the formatting messes up.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Donal94

Thanks a lot for the detailed reply really appreciate it.

Advertisement