Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

speed dating

Options
  • 11-10-2007 9:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

what do people think of speeddating? i'm thinking of going but am a little wary. any advice from people who have done it? thanks:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 389 ✭✭Anna23

Oh I would love to try it as well, whats the worse that could happen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Kaldorn

i found it quite rubbish,to be honest most of the people were mingers and the ones that werent seemed to be only there for the craic.i do have one mate who met a irl through it and they were with each other for a while but it fizzled out so maybe you could be lucky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Its just so unnatural and forced.You cant know If you like someone after a five minute converstaion. Ive gone to speed dating events for the laugh before but I would never go to a speed dating event to actual meet someone.

Send me a pm Id love to go, I have never tried it, so theres something else that I can put on my DATING CV!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Knockoff Nige

panda100 wrote:
    Its just so unnatural and forced.You cant know If you like someone after a five minute converstaion. Ive gone to speed dating events for the laugh before but I would never go to a speed dating event to actual meet someone.
    Surely going there for the laugh is a poor thing to do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭badbrian

I guess a lot of people prefer to say this than "I am desperate and want to find a partner". It can be difficult to meet people so I say bully to anyone who tries this. I went a couple of times had good and bad memories of same, but as a way to meet single people who are genuinely interested in meeting like-minded others it is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

i think its a great idea ive never done it but anyway people can meet have a quick chat and move on cant be bad . it can be daunting just to chat to someone you dont know these days as people can be suspicous of your motives .good luck leave us know how you get on . by the way whenever i hear the name speed dating i always think of spud in trainspotting taking the speed before he had the interveiw just imagine the same thing happening at "speed" dating if ya know the film youll know what i mean if not im sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

panda100 wrote: »

That's probably the problem with them then, isn't it.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i went years ago and it was horrible, i felt like i was at an cattle sale - urrgh, i would not recommend it to anyone.

most of the guys that were there, had been loads of times and were just looking for sex and phone numbers.

• Advertisement

Oh what a pity, well if they are looking for s e x, they can get it somewhere else 2, but I am sure there are loads of women who go there just for s e x as well!!

Actually I have asked 6 of my friends to go and they all said yes AS it should be a fun nite out, believe we are going in November to the 26 to 38, even thought I am only 25 hopefully they will let me in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭AngryBadger

I feel compelled to point out that whether you meet people in pubs, at parties/clubs, in social groups or wherever invariably there will always be people who are there looking for sex, jsut as there will be people who are seeking a partner for some kind of long term (short term?) relationship.

My advice would be to treat speed dating as an interesting approacht o meeting people, don't view it as the latest, foolproof, ultimate solution to your dating woes.

Bear in mind that no matter how you choose to meet people you'll allways meet more people you're INcompatible with than compatible with. So I say go along and have a laugh, you're only there for whatever you want, it's not like you're compelled to sleep with anyone who's there for sex. (or indeed go out with asnyone who's there for a serious relationship!).

Id go for the laugh.........why would u go to something as contrived as speed dating and take yourself seriously????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Knockoff Nige

Id go for the laugh.........why would u go to something as contrived as speed dating and take yourself seriously????
    Well thats not really what I meant. Panda said she'd never go to meet someone. Isnt that unfair on the guys she's actually meeting and wasting their time?

Well thats not really what I meant. Panda said she'd never go to meet someone. Isnt that unfair on the guys she's actually meeting and wasting their time?
    Not really. You go and meet people, if you're there for the laugh then so be it.

Even if you are there to meet someone you have no obligation to "meet" them after the 5 minutes is up so you're just part of the process really.

I'd go for the laugh but id still talk to people and have the craic with them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 kalmanon

Question: Where do I find out about speed dating events??

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

abbie wrote: »
    what do people think of speeddating? i'm thinking of going but am a little wary. any advice from people who have done it? thanks:confused:

you're worried cause you might meet a load of freaks when you go speed dating. However, you are interested in going speed dating and you're not a freak, right? so why would anyone else be? Go or don't go, it's up to you. If you are so offended by the people you meet, you don't have to go again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 abbie

well guys i went speed dating last night. quite enjoyable. didnt meet any guys i fancied though. there were no weirdos or anything, just people looking to meet similar people to themselves. i will give it one more go before i make a definitive idea about speed dating. what did unbalance me was the fact that about a quarter of the boys were foreign. im not being racist but i only wish to date western europeans with good english, or ideally an irishman with good english!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

biko wrote: »

I just dont seem to get bored of that beautifully logical answer..

so anyone in cork wanna go speed dating?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

i went once. it was good craic. I met some nice ladies had a few dates - not serious came out of it but was well worth it.
    from a guys point of view none of the girls were weridos or desperate and most would be on the better side of the looks scale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

Mawk: PI is not a dating site

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

Anna23 wrote: »
    Send me a pm Id love to go, I have never tried it, so theres something else that I can put on my DATING CV!

I was not asking for someone to go on a date with me, just asking if anyone in cork was willing to go to speed dating event.

what did unbalance me was the fact that about a quarter of the boys were foreign. im not being racist but i only wish to date western europeans with good english, or ideally an irishman with good english!

What is wrong with dating eastern europeans with good english...for you?
    I don't see a how a couple of miles could make a german more preferable than a pole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 abbie

well, what i actually meant when referring to western europeans, was english, irish, scottish, or welsh people. i didn't mean every country west of Berlin

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Moonbaby wrote: »
    What is wrong with dating eastern europeans with good english...for you?
    I don't see a how a couple of miles could make a german more preferable than a pole.
    She has her type! Racism doesn't come into it!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,714 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

How exactly does it work. I know that the girls remain seated while guys move from one to the next. How long do you talk to each person. Id have to be worried that it'd be horrible having to hang around with someone who obviously didnt fancy you and vice versas while if u did happen to click itd be finished before you ever got a chance to actually ask for her number or whatever. Was in a pub one night and a promoter tried to get us to go to one but the age groups were 20 to 27 and then 28 and older. im 28 and prefer girls less then 30 so it would of been a complete waste of time. is that the norm? could possibly be a laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,094 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

mawk wrote: »

I was not asking for someone to go on a date with me, just asking if anyone in cork was willing to go to speed dating event.

speed dating, blind dating; whats the difference :rolleyes:

well, what i actually meant when referring to western europeans, was english, irish, scottish, or welsh people. i didn't mean every country west of Berlin

Well that is the definition of western european and you didn't explain the logic behind why you don't want to get involved with an easty or other foreigner.

Personally I would much rather be with someone who I found massvely attractive, than someone who met my criteria on paper.Because I don't think you can put your finger on what makes you happy that easily, its trial and error.

• Advertisement

Seanies32 wrote: »
    She has her type! Racism doesn't come into it!

Townies aren't my type. I wouldn't describe myself as unbalanced by their participation in a speed dating event. Especially if the other 75 per cent fit into my type.
    And I wouldn't feel the need to warn others about it.

Advertisement