Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When you dictate the price!

Options
  • 01-10-2007 6:44pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,585 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Mods, please dont move this to music! :)

Radiohead announced they are to releasing their next album shortly and it will be only available from their website. However in a mad twist, as a band who dont like the mark up stores and distributors put on cd's, they are asking you the consumer to choose the price you are willing to pay when ordering from their site!

It got me thinking. What if this was the norm with most consumerables? Ok the urge to pay £1 was very tempting at first but then i thought, hang on i like this band. The dosh is going to them. Maybe i should pay a fiver or even a tenner...

Would you feel guilty? What do you think about their idea?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I'd pay -€1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 that would show them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭HammerHeadGym

faceman wrote:
    ...Would you feel guilty? What do you think about their idea?

The problem with the honour system is there is so little of it left...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Bit of a PR stunt if you ask me... to suit their image too.
    They obviously aren't short of a few bob.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

faceman wrote:
    Mods, please dont move this to music! :)
    Well I was thinking of moving it to LTI because they really are one of the most depressing bands I have ever heard (my opinion), but I really don't want to remind the depressed people who use that forum regularly of the existence of radiohead.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Its a bit like subscribing to boards. Theres no obligation to subscribe but if you're impressed by the service and want to give a little back then the option is there.

Apart from Pighead, people who don't subscribe are the absolute lowest of the low. Leeching off the system, always taking but never giving.

Every single person who uses boards, apart from Pighead, ought to sit down and scold themselves for being so mean and tight for not paying that extra few quid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭The guy

whiskeyman wrote:
    Bit of a PR stunt if you ask me... to suit their image too.
    They obviously aren't short of a few bob.
    +1

The guy wrote:
    +1

Whats all this +1 crap. Can you not just say "The whiskeyman fella makes a good point and I'd be inclined to agree with him" .

Listen the guy Pigheads not having a go at you but c'mon don't be afraid of using your keyboard, let all those words out and show the people you've got something to say.

If Pighead were in a conversation with somebody and he replyed with a +1 the conversation would be ended quicksmart and there would probably be a swift kick to the bollox administered as well.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Pighead wrote:
    Whats all this +1 crap. Can you not just say "The whiskeyman fella makes a good point and I'd be inclined to agree with him".

+1

+1
    Cheers AlmightyCushion, Pighead appreciates the support. It can be a lonely and unpopular path when you're job is to educate the kiddies.

Pighead wrote:
    It can be a lonely and unpopular path when you're job is to educate the kiddies.

+1

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

+1
    The AlmightyCushion fella makes a good point and I'd be inclined to agree with him

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

The AlmightyCushion fella makes a good point and I'd be inclined to agree with him
    Pigheads work here is done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Cheeky_gal

Pighead wrote:
    Pigheads work here is done.

eeeh why do you always refer to yourself as lyk another person Pighead?? Bit odd....not too familiar with ya now on this... tho u seem to be preeeetty popluar round here! ;)

And what ever happened the "yore ma" thing...haven't seen that in aaaaages!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I'm going to download it for free.

Or else pay a penny if they do actually want some money.

Come on people, you all know you are going to do the same, most of you probably do it anyway with other artists who don't do anything like this.
    Cheeky_gal wrote:

Look here
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=304451
    Charter wrote:
    YORE MA!!!

Right, it's an old one, but it has become prevalent in recent weeks.
    Give it a rest.
    It's amusing in the right context, but it is not needed in every single thread.
    Contests to see who can get in there first will result in a ban, unless it is used in context.
    Randomly posting it in any thread just so you got in there first will result in a ban.

Hey, look. I got it in on this thread first. /bans self.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

+1

Whats all this +1 crap. Can you not just say "The whiskeyman fella makes a good point and I'd be inclined to agree with him".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Cheeky_gal wrote:

You've only been here five minutes :confused:

Well bands make most of their money from touring and merchandising. Seeinig as there is little or no distribution or advertising costs associated with this album all they have to cover is the cost of making the album which could have actually been very small. This is most likely an attempt to get radioheads name in the news and spread through word of mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

God, keep on topic for a few minutes at least.

Lazy banned forever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Well bands make most of their money from touring and merchandising. Seeinig as there is little or no distribution or advertising costs associated with this album all they have to cover is the cost of making the album which could have actually been very small. This is most likely an attempt to get radioheads name in the news and spread through word of mouth.

Its a start ain't it?

Maybe they are putting the point across that their album nevermind the latest Westsh1t's album nor the average new release are not worth 20+ euros to buy which the dogs in the street know.

On this one, I feel they are reaching out to their fans by saying, judge our material on what a fair price is and not what the label/marketeers/distributor/stores feel it should be to maximize profit.

• Advertisement

gurramok wrote:
    Its a start ain't it?

Maybe they are putting the point across that their album nevermind the latest Westsh1t's album nor the average new release are not worth 20+ euros to buy which the dogs in the street know.

On this one, I feel they are reaching out to their fans by saying, judge our material on what a fair price is and not what the label/marketeers/distributor/stores feel it should be to maximize profit.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying it's a stupid idea. It's a very good idea. Piracy is killing music sales and one way to stop it is to give the music away for nothing or next to it. I've just found out that radiohead are not tied to a record label. Record labels make a lot of money from album sales and the artists themselves make very little.
    Maybe radiohead are thinking that they give the music away as a way of promoting the band (an album can be made for next to nothing these days). Then any profit they make from touring or merchandise goes straight to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

They're also offering a 'discbox' package for 40gbp, with the album on CD, double-disc vinyl, second CD with about 8 more songs, artwork, lyrics etc.
    Plus the download.

It wouldn't have cost them anything extra to upload the album online, so they probably don't mind giving it away for free. They've always been in favour of file sharing too.

SumGuy wrote:
    It wouldn't have cost them anything extra to upload the album online, so they probably don't mind giving it away for free. They've always been in favour of file sharing too.

They'll be paying for bandwidth come the 10th, unless they use bit torrent or something.

Giblet wrote:
    They'll be paying for bandwidth come the 10th, unless they use bit torrent or something.

I doubt they'll be using bit torrent. There is a minimum charge on the album of 45p.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

In answer to the actual question.... wouldn't feel guilty at paying the minimum but I actually like the band and would happily pay €10. And to be honest, if they were doing a normal €16 - €20 in the shops CD release, I'd probably just download it for nothing and "maybe buy it later when I have the time / cash / whatever".

I think it's a fantastic idea.

Though I'll probably splash out the £40 for the box-set myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Reminds me of 'Steal this album' by stystem of a down. Did anyone steal it from a shop?

I suppose radiohead are doing it because they know that it's just going to be downloaded for free anyways. Good idea though. I'd pay a few bob because they are ma fave.

I didn't have to pay 45p.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

boreds wrote:
    Reminds me of 'Steal this album' by stystem of a down. Did anyone steal it from a shop?

They just robbed that idea from 'steal this book'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Cheeky_gal

Cake Fiend wrote:
    You've only been here five minutes :confused:

5 mins u joking?? More lyk 2 months my friend! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

as a rule i never pay for MP3. that's because usually they are compressed too much, cost too much, come with ridiculous f*cking DRM these days and at the end of the day if me pays for something i like to be able to hold it in me hand.

if i wanted to give a band me monies i'd pay to go see them in concert.

Advertisement