Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Japanese car importers (Dublin)

Options
  • 27-09-2007 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I am going to purchase an EK9 Civic/DC2 Integra next month and I was wondering if you have experience with any of the following importers:

- Per4mance carz,
    - Japcarsdublin,
    - Sean Byrne motors,
    - others.

If you could recommend one of those or any other, I would really appreciate it.
    I am interested in honest ones, selling cars in very good condition and not overpriced.

I would be grateful for sharing your experiences.

Thanks,

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

A really simple way to judge; Insist, insist, insist(see a pattern here?:D ) on the cars Japanese auction sheet. Anyone who doesn't have that walk away. Do not take excuses on this one and you will hear some. "We don't see them'. BS They should have them if they imported the car. "You can't read Japanese". Again BS you can see the auction grade(avoid anything below a grade 3.) and a handy little cartoon of the cars panels tells you if stuff has been replaced due to damage(any X is bad) etc. Too many imports here are accident damaged or lower grade cars tarted up and of course the mileage is wound back.
    I watched the auctions for a few months before I sourced my own car and I saw cars with accident damage end up as "clean" cars on Irish garage forecourts. I saw two where the mileage had been halved also.

Put it this way I brought one in myself sight unseen with all the hassle that entailed, but with a good auction report and real mileage, rather than trust the dealers I had experience of. A mate of mine was doing it for a while a few years back. Got to drive some nice pieces of kit, but sadly he's emigrated.

I would try to get a standard car as much as possible too. While the Japanese tricky bits are tempting it can mean the car has been hockeyed to within an inch of it's life and if they go wrong can be pricey to fix.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭Doodee

try japnuts.com afaik he is based in Wicklow and I have heard good things.

I go mine through DC Imports in Mayo, was well worth the hike, Car was Beautiful then and still is. A grade 3.5 is considered Irish 2nd hand four court grade, but you do want to get a grade 4 or higher. grade 5 is only given to cars that are within 2 years and are near mint.
    Auction sheet is a must, I almost got stung with a car that had done 194k wound back to 60k. You can always get the Chasis number checked against the Japanese records, this does take some time though.

Most of all be patient. Its well worth it in the end

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Deception

Doodee wrote:
    try japnuts.com afaik he is based in Wicklow and I have heard good things.

I go mine through DC Imports in Mayo, was well worth the hike, Car was Beautiful then and still is. A grade 3.5 is considered Irish 2nd hand four court grade, but you do want to get a grade 4 or higher. grade 5 is only given to cars that are within 2 years and are near mint.
    Auction sheet is a must, I almost got stung with a car that had done 194k wound back to 60k. You can always get the Chasis number checked against the Japanese records, this does take some time though.

Most of all be patient. Its well worth it in the end

Totally heard good things also :D

Elite Autos in Galway also quiet good tbh ... but as above poster said you are far better off checking all the in's and out's yourself and insist on documentation and a clean grade3+ stock jap import as as good a base for modification as you are ever gonna get.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

valdigre wrote:
    - Sean Byrne motors,

I bought my car off him. Walking into his yard at the docks in like being like a kid in a candy shop. You can get some good deals because he imports them direcly but get it inspected if possible and make sure he does everything you ask to the car. ****er didn't even give me the full tank of petrol he promised - it had just about enough in it to get me out the gate without the fuel light coming on.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,438 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

heard good things about WKD imports.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

nearly everybody i've talked to about japcarsdublin have told me to stay away, they said some of the cars are in an awfull state up there and when asked they couldnt provide auction sheets, this was a good while ago though so may have changed since

• Registered Users Posts: 73,438 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I'd be wary of anyone advertising a 2008 Avensis 1.6 Aura Estate (a model which doesn't exist anywhere) with 2,000 miles on the clock.

nice picture of the car too....
    japcarsdublinAveRED243.jpg

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=Car&carID=561981&message=You%20searched%20for%3A%20Toyota%20Avensis%2C%20Year%3A%202008%2E%20Your%20search%20returned%20one%20vehicle%2C%20which%20is%20shown%20below%2E&CFID=24994973&CFTOKEN=12310755

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Alot of the dealers use each other stock so it's possible you'l see the same car in different dealers adverts for sale.

For the car your after id consider one here already via carzone,you'l make a saving over dealer price for sure.

Never heard good of japcars though,S&B supposedly have good stock and it can be hit and miss with p4c,in saying that thats just what i've heard from friends when they were looking in the above places.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭touge_drift

ok one word of warning stay welll clear of jap cars dublin...

imo the guy out in man o war is goos byrne autos i think he's called.. no hassel or bull from him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 carman1985

I know the lads in Per4mance Carz, seem pretty good and fair to deal with, there cars have auction sheets, cars are always displayed well not like other junk yards!! There in Coolock ind. estate. try them

• Advertisement

The OP already got a DC2 integra type r :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Tanabe

Lads, can anybody please tell me does Sean Byrne supply auction sheets with cars sold?

Thanks.

from what i've heard on other forums i doubt it, the word dodgy comes up in nearly every sentence with the mans name.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Black Sky

Northside Automotive in Man o war out between Lusk and Balbriggan seem good. Was out there today to get a Micra :p for the mother-in-law.
    Some lovely performance motors in the yard there...... more than is listed on their website....

http://www.northsideautos.ie/

Sean Byrne triggers something in the back of mind about past issues.... best avoided i think......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

hi any more info on the automotives in marO war, am looking at a Yaris 99, €4750.Jap.
    any adivce .thanks,cathy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

stay away from that cowboy in santry japcarsdublin!!! wat a prick!

noted, thanks Cathys.

cathy01 wrote: »
    hi any more info on the automotives in marO war, am looking at a Yaris 99, €4750.Jap.
    any adivce .thanks,cathy

was also advised to stay away from the boys out in man o war, dodgy!!

Great , thanks for that.I was looking at N2 mototrs?any ideas.
    cathy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

stecleary wrote: »
    stay away from that cowboy in santry japcarsdublin!!! wat a prick!

PM me on this one please?

• Advertisement

ClioV6 wrote: »
    PM me on this one please?

you dont need a pm, do a search for them on any car related site and you will get bad experiences or just go up have a look around and chat to one of the lads there, you'll come out laughing at how anyone buys a car there

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

i was in jap cars the other day chap seems like a bit of a clown alright.

lookin for 21 grand for a 99 sylvia. havin a fukin laugh, thing was in bits

ma o war, aka sean byrne is supposedly a cowboy too, ur warrenty covers ya to his gates!!!

see, ts things like this we all need to know.
    Any adivce on N2 autos???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭thesoulfulldude

yeah japcars, my cousin does reports on anything car related and has heard a fair few bad storys from them

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Well thats Japcars off my list and Sean Byrne.

R_H_C_P wrote: »
    Well thats Japcars off my list and Sean Byrne.

You could still go in to have a look they do have a large range of stuff and it would be good to get looking at the types of cars you want and if possible get test drives, just be wary if you do go to buy and dont believe a word they say :D

when looking for jap imports always ask for the auction sheet and dont listen to crap like they lost it or its in japanese you wouldnt understand it

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Thats what I will do "Oh ya I have money and willing to buy. Just gotta test drive them ya know" and never come back :p

Yeah I read that in my thread, wont forget that for sure. Does the auction sheet mention accidents/Damage etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

if any of the pannels here marked with "X" it has been damaged or replaced. look at the grade too looking for a grade 4 is your best bet any lower than 3.5 and its time to walk away! the have to have this sheet in the dealership to be able to sell the car so just ask for it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

most sheets in the top right theres a box that will have 4 or 3.5 or whatever thats the grade of the outside of the car, whether panels have been scratched or replaced etc.

underneath that box theres normally another box that will have a b or c in it.

thats usually the interior grade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Try www.tradecarview.com , cut out the middle man, they have a great selection of brilliantly priced cars, not on auction though.

Advertisement