Bargain at Argos Ireland - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

11-09-2007, 23:13   #1
Phaictan

2 Bargain at Argos Ireland

Argos Ireland have the Canon EF 28-135 IS USM Lens on their website (www.argos.ie) for €289.99.

This is a total bargain, the cheapest I saw it on cam-ireland website was €449. Don't know if it's a mistake or not but I bought one last week from Argos in Tallaght and that's what I paid for it.

It's a great lens, quite light, and the Image Stabilisation makes a great difference when using slower shutter speeds. Very useful lens for all sensor sizes.

But don't tell Argos they made a mistake!

Cheers
Advertisement
11-09-2007, 23:19   #2
soccerc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaictan
Argos Ireland have the Canon EF 28-135 IS USM Lens on their website (www.argos.ie) for €289.99.

This is a total bargain, the cheapest I saw it on cam-ireland website was €449. Don't know if it's a mistake or not but I bought one last week from Argos in Tallaght and that's what I paid for it.

It's a great lens, quite light, and the Image Stabilisation makes a great difference when using slower shutter speeds. Very useful lens for all sensor sizes.

But don't tell Argos they made a mistake!

Cheers
That's been around a while but my info is that Argos have copped it

Try check and reserve on argos.ie and you'll find it's disabled or it was yesterday
11-09-2007, 23:26   #3
Phaictan

Quote:
Originally Posted by thimblefull
That's been around a while but my info is that Argos have copped it

Try check and reserve on argos.ie and you'll find it's disabled or it was yesterday
They haven't copped it. As I said I have one in my hands as I type (very good trick if you can do it) and I only paid €290 for it. I can scan the receipt if you'd like. Seriously I don't think they have copped.

The check & reserve section of the website goes offline very often. That price is also in the latest printed catalog too.
12-09-2007, 12:15   #4
Rob_T

Their website is a bit banjaxed as instead of using the argos.ie url all the links seem to have argosie.co.uk so it think its a website issue rather than Argos pulling the offer.
12-09-2007, 17:43   #5
soccerc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_T
Their website is a bit banjaxed as instead of using the argos.ie url all the links seem to have argosie.co.uk so it think its a website issue rather than Argos pulling the offer.
went with a friend again to Liffey Valley this afternoon. 4 in stock according to the little terminal in the store.When he tried to pay for it was told the stock can't be released for sale as there is a pricing issue. Argos employee revealed their are many errors in the catalogue, mainly in relation to electronics and since Monday none of these are available for sale.
Advertisement
12-09-2007, 20:32   #6
10-10-20

They can't sell electronic/electrical goods from the web as they still haven't figured out the WEEE pricing... eh... 2 years later!

http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/store...ntactUs.htm#33
01-11-2007, 18:48   #7
gpmaguir

this offer is still good, bought my lens today in blanchardstown for €289
02-11-2007, 10:30   #8
seaner

hey i'm really a newbie so if i'm asking a really dumb question don't kill me but...........
does this lens fit camera's other than Canon. LIke would it fit a DSC-H9?
Or can you put lenses on digital camera??
Don't bite if i'm way off here...............
02-11-2007, 10:45   #9
pete4130

Seaner,

It will only fit on Canon SLR & DSLR cameras that have interchangeable lenses I'm afraid. I'm guessing (from a little Googling) that you DSC-H9 is a Sony Cybershot? It's still a good deal if you plan on getting a Canon DLSR soon though!
Advertisement
02-11-2007, 11:31   #10
crookesa

Send a message via MSN to crookesa
Pardon my ignorance too lads, but what is the benefit of using this over the standard lens.
I've started a photography course but havn't really touched on lens and equipment yet just the basis of how aperture and shutter speeds work. Little bit of information overload at the moment.
02-11-2007, 12:07   #11
zag

For example, the standard lens on the EOS 400D has a focal length of 18-55mm. The lens that everyone is talking about ere is a 28mm-135mm lens. It has a longer focal length, allowing you to zoom in closer to your subject. Also, this particular lens has 'image stabilisation' which counter-acts the effect of your hands shaking on the camera, and leads to sharper images. Where are you doing you course?
02-11-2007, 13:20   #12
crookesa

Send a message via MSN to crookesa
Quote:
Originally Posted by zag View Post
For example, the standard lens on the EOS 400D has a focal length of 18-55mm. The lens that everyone is talking about ere is a 28mm-135mm lens. It has a longer focal length, allowing you to zoom in closer to your subject. Also, this particular lens has 'image stabilisation' which counter-acts the effect of your hands shaking on the camera, and leads to sharper images. Where are you doing you course?
I'm slowing getting to understand all the talk about focal length's etc.
Have started the city & guilds level 2 photography in WIT.
Quite intense to be honest and it's over 30 weeks
02-11-2007, 14:25   #13
Typhoon.
Closed Account

woo hoo...another Blaa...
21-11-2007, 17:42   #14
elmer

I just picked up my lens from argos in stephens green
21-11-2007, 17:51   #15
ro1798

i got mine in liffey valley on monday....

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion