Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus pilots to strike next Tuesday/Wednesday

Options
  • 14-08-2007 4:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭

Someone please tell me this is a sick joke? I'm supposedly flying home next Tuesday via Dubai but it looks like I'll have an extended stay in one of the most expensive cities on earth.

I've never been caught up in a strike before, will Aer Lingus have to provide us with accomodation for the 48hrs + that we're stranded, and will our alternative arrangements be provided free of charge?

I can't believe that the pilots going on strike would be so bloody selfish, the only people who will suffer here are the paying customers. Aer Lingus already have the money for the flights, they'll surely be saving money by not having to fly the planes, how on this earth does this strike make sense?

Also, is there any talk in Ireland of the strike being averted?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Both parties seem well entrenched on this issue.

Just heard DMannion on the blower and he didn't sound conciliatory.

Looks like at this stage she is going ahead as the pilots are a very militant bunch and this and other issues have been building up pus for quite some time .

Its only the start in my opinion,plenty more to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,293 ✭✭✭arctictree

Just tried to book a return flight to Frankfurt going on Tue and back on Wed next week. The flights are marked as sold out - which is highly unusual as they always have seats (i'm a regular on this route). AL must have done something to stop people booking on these days. Not a very good sign.

A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭cp251

Based on my experience with Aer Lingus and the unions over the years. This is just brinkmanship, a tactical ploy to bring about serious negotiations. The strike will be called off at the last minute to 'allow meaningful negotiations'. Neither side want or expect a strike. That is my experience, however sometimes it all goes wrong.:(

However the pilots have a point and there does seem to have been an attempt by Aer Lingus to alter the terms and condition so Belfast based pilots cost less money. The pilots are quite right to resist this, several attempt were made to change T's and C's of new hires which has been resisted.

Ironically this is partly the fault of Ryanair, who have made determined efforts to cut pilots pay in their ranks. New pilots must pay for their own training and only receive reduced pay in the first year. Aer Lingus have taken note of this and are trying it on.

I doubt if the strike will go ahead, it just means a fraught weekend of negotiating for one and all.

Oh and Joe don't exaggerate Dublin isn't even in the top ten of most expensive cities, Try living in Oslo, Tokyo, Reykjavik. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Sajan

Anyone know how to get a refund on this online?

Flew on the EI650 to Frankfurt at 6:50am this morning.

Amazing - the airport was half empty. Got to the gate for the flight and realised that only 12 people had turned up for the flight!! The trip was mad - a full cabin crew with only 12 passengers on a 737. If only flying was always like this...

A

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Sorry to be an anorak
    with only 12 passengers on a 737

737 ?

sorry - was an airbus methinks. Not sure the exact version but there are about 27 seat rows I think!

A

BTW - Am returning tonight. I wonder if it will be like that later too?! - Hope so!!

A

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Might be a little busier , people with connections coming back

Safe journey anyway .

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I have lost complete respect for this airline, we were expecting a death in the family and a family member was due to fly in today, it put us under alot of stress if he was coming or not, I will try alternatives in future. **** the lot of them. It has to be said the employees of aer lingus only care about the employees of aer lingus

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement

Here's a picture of the flight on Tuesday morning just before takeoff:

Image017.jpg

Advertisement