Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance query

Options
  • 06-08-2007 9:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Long time since I've posted here, still lurking tho!

I've gone through a phase of not touching my camera for months! I've recently been re-inspired to pick it back up after getting some work for a jewellery advertising shoot.

About 3-4 weeks into the project I was taking some time off from work (graphic design and the part time photography). I went to Paris for 4 days then down to Amsterdam for 2 weeks to meet with a different group of friends.

After about a week into it I realised I'd lost my Camera (400d) my ipod (4g nano) and last night had the luck of loosing my phone (6230i - not bummed about losing the phone, just all my numebrs and stuff!).

Now, back to the main point of this thread.. I've got my camera specified on the house insurance policy, as a €1200 Canon, and am wondering what I should do next..

The camera was obviously stolen, searched absolutely everywhere and we were camping in a tent, and when it was de-constructed revealed no camera.

To ease things out, I'm just gonna say I was in Dublin, but I'm just wondering, does anybody know what the routine is for replacing your camera if insured in this position?

I'm absolutely gutted about the loss of my camera, it was a huge investment for me at the time of purchase, and had been fighting off a tax bill for it up until a week or two ago which had been going on almost a year! Apart from pausing my obsession with taking pictures!

Cheers for any advice guys!

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 294 ✭✭XJR

Firstly the camera should be specified all risks, though depending on the value this may not be necessary - you would need to check what the single article limit is with your insurer.

Assuming it's covered I would expect replacement on a new for old basis. This will sometimes mean providing you with the exact same camera or the amount it will cost to purchase this camera less any policy excess. If this camera model is no longer available then generally it successor it what would be provided.

You should bear in mind that you may not receive the original 1200 you paid if for example the camera has dropped in price. In addition a policy excess will be deducted from the claims payment. This often leads to confusion but the rule of thumb should be that when your claim is paid you are in the same position your were in before the loss.

I'm not sure why you are reluctant to tell them it happend while on holidays, it doesn't seem to be a big deal to me and it's probably better to be honest than not. Should it turn out and God only knows how it would, that the insurance company find outs you're lying then you're in a lot more trouble than the loss of a 1200euro camera. Your claim is likely to be refused and maybe even your policy cancelled which would cause you problems when you try to get another policy.

If you say it was stolen here then you will need a Garda report - that of itself may be an issue. If you've nothing to hide then don't hide anything just go with the unvarnished truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Nortcider

A word of advice my friend. Do not lie to your insurer. If you were foolish enough not to have the correct type of cover in place, suffer the consequences and learn the lesson.
    If you lie, and are found out, there is a strong likelyhood that the insurer will cancel your policy (in addition to any other legal rights they may have). This action now becomes a material fact when proposing for any insurance cover and must be disclosed to an insurer. Indeed, there is normally a question on proposal forms about this. You will find that you have just become uninsurable as nobody will want to insure someone who has committed fraud.
    If you do not disclose the fact you have automatically invalidated any cover that might have been given.
    Think carefully before you act.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Wez

I'm not exactly planning a huge insurance fraud here, just wondering if people have had problems before when they've had their camera insured in the same position..

Wez wrote:
    I'm not exactly planning a huge insurance fraud here

I think the point is that it's irrelevant from the insurer's point of view, if they sense something odd about it for whatever reason it won't matter if it's 1200 or 120. For all they know you never had you camera stolen at all and are just chancing your arm.

Given the circumstances you describe there is no reason for them to refuse the claim so why not go with the truth ?

Wez wrote:
    I'm not exactly planning a huge insurance fraud here

I think the point is that it's irrelevant from the insurer's point of view whether it's 1200 or 120 if they sense something odd about it. For all they know you never had your camera stolen at all and are just chancing your arm.

Given the circumstances you describe there is no reason for them to refuse the claim so why not go with the truth ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Kilree

You say that the camera is "specified" under your household policy. Does this mean that you simply specified it as a high value item under your contents section or that you specified it under an all risks section which would be an optional extra when effecting the policy. If you have it down as a specific item under all risks you can just make the claim providing an estimate for replacement (which won't be 1200.00 euro given todays price) and your claim will be processed in the normal way. There should be no excess payable if it is a specified item so you should receive the full cost of replacement at today's prices for a Canon 400D.
    If you only have it noted as a high risk item on your policy then it is treated in the same way as all the other contents of your house. There should be a section on your policy to cover items "temporarily removed" from your house but this would be limited to specific losses such as fire or depending on your insurer theft. The accidental and unexplained loss of an item would not be covered. There may also be geographical and value limitations. You really will have to read through your policy to see what the cover is and maybe contact your insurer.
    I just want to echo what the other contributors have said about trying to misrepresent the situation. Fraud is fraud and there are no degrees of fraud. If you go down this route and the insurer discovers the truth you can take it to the bank that not alone will they decline the claim but your entire policy will be cancelled leaving you without any insurance for the house and contents and possible difficulties with you mortgage provider. It's up to you if you want to take this chance but believe me it will not be worth it if things go wrong.
    If your claim is valid you should have no difficulty but if you are looking for ways to get an insurer to pay up for what is an unfortunate but uninsured loss - forget it and suffer the loss yourself. Just make sure that when you do get the replacement you insure it properly so that you won't run into this problem again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

more than likely you will need a garda report if you say it was stolen in dublin if you say it was taken abroad then they probably wont ask for a police report(if it is even covered) also i assume u had no travel insurance if you are thinking about getting it done under your house insurance?

Advertisement