Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Get MSN Messenger on unbranded Nokia N73 on 3 Ireland

Options
  • 04-08-2007 2:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭

This is how to install MSN Messenger for an unbranded Nokia N73 on the 3 Ireland mobile after it has been flashed with unbranded firmware... bypassing that certification crap :-)

Transfer both the JAD and the JAR file in the zip across to the phones memory via PC-Suite/File Manager.

On the phone use the Tools/File Mgr. to browse to the files. Open the JAD file (not the JAR) to proceed with the installation of MSN Messenger for the 3 ireland network. Note, this is the same application that you had installed with the branded firmware prior to un-branding the phone so your accessing MSN through 3's network, therfore your MSN messages go through for free. You are using the same service on the same phone so I don't know why 3 blocked installing MSN on the unbranded (and less buggy) firmware.

Tested on:

Nokia N73 on 3 Ireland
    V4.0726.2.0.1

Note: Use at your own risk, I don't want tons of emails saying you bricked your phone. Always scan files.

DOWNLOAD: http://damoreilly.bravehost.com/MMG.N73.3ROI.zip

My reason for posting this is that 3 refused to give me any indication as to when they were gonna update their old buggy out of date branded firmware. I was just been told that when its out, its out. The current firmware on the Nokia N73 for 3 Ireland is very buggy, eg, powering of phone when in silent mode crashes the phone, camera can cause crashes, mp3+voice tone crashed the phone and many more. So i went ahead and updated my phone to the latest unbranded firmware. I was then unable to install MSN Messenger from 3's site due to a certification error. go figure :-P Come on 3!. So hopefully by this post, you'll get back on MSN usung the above :-)

Damo
    damienreilly { at } gmail.com

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,905 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

Downloaded these files on a Nok 6151, I couldnt open the jad file but the jar file opened fine, but when I tried to connect it wouldnt. Guess that is because the jad file has to be setup for correct data provision via the 3ireland.ie APN?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

flodis79 wrote:
    Downloaded these files on a Nok 6151, I couldnt open the jad file but the jar file opened fine, but when I tried to connect it wouldnt. Guess that is because the jad file has to be setup for correct data provision via the 3ireland.ie APN?

this is for a Nokia N73, also, think u have to be in 3G coverage, as i can only connect when on 3G coverage and not GSM. But this definatetly works on Nokia N73.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Nokia N73 on 3 Ireland
    V4.0726.2.0.1

My reason for posting this is that 3 refused to give me any indication as to when they were gonna update their old buggy out of date branded firmware. I was just been told that when its out, its out. The current firmware on the Nokia N73 for 3 Ireland is very buggy, eg, powering of phone when in silent mode crashes the phone, camera can cause crashes, mp3+voice tone crashed the phone and many more. So i went ahead and updated my phone to the latest unbranded firmware. I was then unable to install MSN Messenger from 3's site due to a certification error. go figure :-P Come on 3!. So hopefully by this post, you'll get back on MSN usung the above :-)

Damo
    damienreilly { at } gmail.com
    haha know exactly had n73 on "3" for 3days and it crashed from powering camera. its swamped as far as bugs go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

As long as you do as instructed and use the jad file for installation.

Advertisement