Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

30-07-2007, 21:37   #1
flares642

2nd Interview - Aldi Area Manager

Hi. Just wondering if anyone could give me an insight into type of questions asked at this stage? Thanks.
Advertisement
04-08-2007, 22:01   #2
flares642

Or does anyone know somebody working for Aldi as an Area Manager?
05-08-2007, 07:47   #3
tvr

Flares I would advise reading the Aldi article in regard to this job done by Checkout Magazine a few months back. A really eye opener and may change your mind in regard to applying for such a job. Their staff turnover for this job is huge. The Aldi management actually prefer this as they can use the stupidy of young graduates who see a shiny A4 and big wages. Do you really think a company like this would make live easy for you. They will make you work your socks of for 1-2 year before you burnout and leave. This is an Aldi strategy as it means their pension cost are very low.

Plus they will schedule work meetings on your days off and discipline you if you dont attend. They will set unrealistic targets for your shops. Which means the only why you can actually achieve these is by sending 1 or 2 of your workers home and you carrying out their jobs.

Think I am joking even the cashier ladies must scan a certain number of items per minute or they are "re trained".

I'll see can I dig out the article , I think they were sued by Aldi for it aswell.

Last edited by tvr; 05-08-2007 at 07:49.
09-08-2007, 12:12   #4
keefg

Flares, TVR is right. If Aldi is anything like Lidl (and I am sure it is) you will be lucky to last 12 months before you burn out.

I employed a guy earlier this year who worked as an Area Store Manager for Lidl and I still cringe at the horror stories he has to tell.

Having worked on the continent during the mid 90's, I can tell you that the German work culture is VERY different to Ireland and workers put the good of their employers before themselves in a lot of cases. You will be worked to the bone!!! Be warned.
09-08-2007, 12:56   #5
run_Forrest_run

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvr
Think I am joking even the cashier ladies must scan a certain number of items per minute or they are "re trained".
I love how you phrased that...they seem like a right bunch alright.
Advertisement
09-08-2007, 13:09   #6
fits

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvr
Flares I would advise reading the Aldi article in regard to this job done by Checkout Magazine a few months back. A really eye opener and may change your mind in regard to applying for such a job. Their staff turnover for this job is huge. The Aldi management actually prefer this as they can use the stupidy of young graduates who see a shiny A4 and big wages. Do you really think a company like this would make live easy for you. They will make you work your socks of for 1-2 year before you burnout and leave. This is an Aldi strategy as it means their pension cost are very low.

Plus they will schedule work meetings on your days off and discipline you if you dont attend. They will set unrealistic targets for your shops. Which means the only why you can actually achieve these is by sending 1 or 2 of your workers home and you carrying out their jobs.

I'll see can I dig out the article , I think they were sued by Aldi for it aswell.
Are you sure the article wasnt about lidl? Afaik, aldi are supposed to be a much better employer.
I know someone who worked in the property section of lidl for a few years and is now earning buckets working on commercal property for one of the country's largest property agencies.
10-08-2007, 20:14   #7
flares642

Huge difference between Lidl and Aldi! Had second interview and been put forward for final interview. From what I have experienced so far, Aldi is one of the most professional companies I have dealt with. I have HR degree and my backround is in recruitment so have visited and dealt with a lot of companies. Don't knock it until you have your facts right! As regards the long hours, I've been self-employed for last 11 years so 60 to 70 hour weeks don't bother me!
11-08-2007, 11:38   #8
keefg

Quote:
Originally Posted by flares642
I have HR degree and my backround is in recruitment so have visited and dealt with a lot of companies. Don't knock it until you have your facts right!
No need to get snotty Flares!! You asked for our info/opinion and you got it.

Anyway, your opening question regarding the 2nd interview was " Just wondering if anyone could give me an insight into type of questions asked at this stage? Thanks"

Why the hell would someone with a HR degree and a background in recruitment need to ask this type of question on a public forum???

Something not quite right here me thinks!
(2) thanks from:
11-08-2007, 21:00   #9
flares642

Every company has there own method of questioning candidates. This is down to the HR dept of each company. I was asking if anyone had experience of the type of questions asked by Aldi! Do you realise how many questions one can ask at interview stage! Plus I haven't worked in HR in 6 years so am a bit rusty in recruitment techniques! Listen mate, I worked my ass off for 4 years for my degree and I don't need anyone questioning me. It was a simple question and maybe if you have nothing educational to add to a topic you shouldn't post!!!!
Advertisement
17-08-2008, 19:18   #10
Matt406

Flares, I've a second round interview with Aldi for Area Manager coming up soon. Any tips on what they ask/are looking for?? Thanks.
17-08-2008, 20:40   #11
cronos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt406 View Post
Flares, I've a second round interview with Aldi for Area Manager coming up soon. Any tips on what they ask/are looking for?? Thanks.
Major bump there haha. You should PM him as his post was last year. It would be interesting to hear from him how he is finding the company.

Let us know.
21-12-2008, 16:23   #12
Haroon

Aldi

Has anyone here actually been offered a job at Aldi for Area Manager or gone through the interview process and can talk about it in more detail?
21-12-2008, 19:21   #13
Matt406

Has anyone here actually been offered a job at Aldi for Area Manager or gone through the interview process and can talk about it in more detail?

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I went thru the first and second round interview process with Aldi. Let me know what exactly you need to know and I'll do my best!
21-12-2008, 21:09   #14
Haroon

Ok,

What can I expect on the first interview?

Should I get past the first interview and get invited for a second interview, what happens in the second interview.

How come you didn't progress further?

Did you choose not to go further as you were put off with the idea of working for Aldi.

What have you ended up doing work wise?

If you had gotten to the third interview and passed, would you have happily worked for Aldi?
22-12-2008, 12:21   #15
Haroon

Hi Matt,

also, how long did you wait after applying before you heard back about your first group interview?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion