Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dust-Aid Sensor Cleaning Kits

Options
  • 28-07-2007 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've just ordered three packs (€35.40 each incl postage) from www.dust-aid.com (a lot cheaper per pack than buying from the UK/France - €50 a pop each excluding postage)

It seems to be a nice system, no fiddling with liquids (no issues with airport security when travelling etc)

Would there be enough interest among forum members to buy in bulk? I've emailed them requesting a price on fifty units. Just a thought!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Scoual

Hi Minikin,

yeah, i saw their demo, seems safe enough to clean with (for the novice that i am), i was planning to buy one myself as well, so I m interested. Let me know what they reply to you !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭DotOrg

i was thinking of trying these too, look a lot quicker and easier than using thepads and liquid, though that is still needed for stuck on dust

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

update: wholesale on 160 units €18.31 a piece
    this will most likely be subject to vat and duty but it's still an awful lot less than €50 each!

re the 'welded' dust - according to their demo this is removed after a second or third application (of the same pad)

I'll try them out on my own sensor and let you know how i get on... it's really bad at the moment!

thanks minikin,
    that s cheap indeed, i checked and if u wanted to go for just one as a trial, it s as expensive from the states than from UK, because of the shipping costs... anyway, keep us updated :)

Yeah, that's why I've ordered three (postage is still $25) so the unit price comes down to €35.40 each rather than €55 or €60 from the uk or france. Three for the price of two! :)

They are checking out a price on 50 units for me, anyone know what "bend" refers to in terms of price... only did business studies up to intercert :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Would also be interested...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

Interested in this as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

I'd be interested aswell

cool, I throw up a poll as soon as i get a final figure on fifty units... and tested on my own machine too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

how many people have you got now? Looks like it's the kinda thing that'd be worthwhile buying in bulk yourself and then selling off at slightly above cost (for boards members :D) and massively above cost for everyone else :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭JMcL

Me too! Me too!

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭latchiko

I'm interested in this too!

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Fireman

I would be interested as well

fireman

minikin wrote:
    cool, I throw up a poll as soon as i get a final figure on fifty units... and tested on my own machine too :)
    No reply yet? they're a bit slow aren't they

• Registered Users Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

I could soooo do with some cleaning stuff too. No price yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭Mr Dave C

Hi Folks just joined up I would be interested in a cleaning kit...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

Me too.

T.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

My CCD looks like it's got chickenpox after a trip to Spain.

That's a ME TOO, in other words.

hc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,302 ✭✭✭positron

Me too! In fact I might need two...!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭viking

Add me to the list too :)

• Advertisement

Hi all,

The three I ordered arrived yesterday. Will give them a try tonight and report back... There's 13 / 14 expressions of interest here so far. Would need to get a lot closer to 50 as I don't plan on making money on these. It's more of a community saving thing. Is there anyone else interested... speak now or forever hold your peace!!! :) I reckon the final price would be between €25 - €30... which is effectively half price.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Kilree

Depends on the results of your test but would be interested if they prove to be any good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭liveforphotos

Sorry folks, I have already tried out this product. I know this is not the answer you guys are looking for, because we all would like for there to be a really good solution to dealing with sensor dust, but here I go anyway.

I bought this product and tried it out on my Canon DSLR. A friend of mine tried it out on her 5D during the same session. Neither of us found it made a blind bit of difference to the dust on our sensors, and we applied it exactly as shown on the video from the website. We ended up swabbing our sensors with Eclipse and swabs using Pec Pads and got much better results.

Oh wouldn't it be lovely if this product worked? I had such high hopes for it! i wil still probably carry it on trips abroad, because I can't carry compressed air to ionise my sensor brush or Eclipse for my swabs when I fly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭liveforphotos

Sorry to disappoint you folks,but I bought the Dust Aid system a few weeks go. I know we are all desperate for a reasonably-priced system for dealing with sensor dust, but I found this system absolutely useless. It looks great when you read the bumpf on it and I bought into it totally. But I used it on my DSLR and a friend used it on her 5d sensor during the same session. We both ended up swabbing our sensors with Eclipse and combining that with strokes from the Sensor Brush in order to get rid of the welded-on dust on our sensors. The Dust-Aid pads did nothing whatever to reduce the dust. It was quite disappointing, because it looked so good on paper. I should emphasise that we both used the Dust-Aid exactly as shown on the video on their website.

Hello there,
    I couldn t wait so i bought one as a trial myself. The dust on my sensor was not thick but only noticeable in sky pics for example. And it did work perfectly. It is extremely easy of use and the whole packaging thing is really handy.
    So, with the experience that liveforphotos had, i guess it really isn t hard on the dust but it can do the job if it s light...

Just given the 20d a tentative scrubbing :)
    As i said before... it was lousy (18 months worth of matter)
    I've just taken a test shot, I have one small dust mark. Going to give it another go tonight... maybe not quite so timidly.

Have to say I'm impressed... only cost me €4 against €50 in conns.
    No brainer!

Interested to read your experiences iveforphotos, what camera make/model did you use it on?

Lol, just a word of warning for others with 5D's, search back a couple of months on www.fredmiranda.com 's Canon forum for an interesting discussion!

Fajitas! wrote:
    Lol, just a word of warning for others with 5D's, search back a couple of months on www.fredmiranda.com 's Canon forum for an interesting discussion!
    Do you mean 20D's? The thread i found, was about a 20D...unless there's more than one:(

Nope, 5D's, somehow, some 5D's got out with the sensor coating the wrong way around, and the Dust Aids took the coating right off them... There's no way of knowing which 5D's have it. And it has no ill effects other than this.

• Advertisement

Fajitas! wrote:
    Nope, 5D's, somehow, some 5D's got out with the sensor coating the wrong way around, and the Dust Aids took the coating right off them... There's no way of knowing which 5D's have it. And it has no ill effects other than this.
    In this thread it happened to a 20D and it says the exact same things about the 20D sensor coating on the 3rd page:confused:
    http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic2/539229/

Advertisement